on 15 November 2009
Fills a gap for a small cheap rice cooker. About half the size of the Kenwood and Breville types. Works well providing you remember the following, which applies to all rice cookers:

1, wash rice at least four times to get rid of the starch, rub rice in fingers whilst washing

2, All rice cookers spit a bit when cooking unless you go for the pressurised rice pot type and they are more expensive

3, People often complain that the rice is undercooked and sticks to the bottom. Leave for 5 minutes after the cooker has popped. It wont stick and be just right

Wiping a little oil onto the inside surface of the bowl may help. Other than that nice rice in under 15 minutes with the minimum of electricity Why four stars? I don't think the non-stick surface looks very durable, but its no worse than others for more money
11 comment| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 April 2010
Very good value for money and works 'as advertised'. What's more, it can keep cooked rice in excellent condition for four hours - and maybe more. Sensible accessories, but be careful not to throw the 'fluffer' away with the packaging!
on 30 August 2010
And you can't really go wrong when you get change from twenty ...

Read the other reviews for general information. Additionally:
- I have found that when cooking for two, you might want to put in a little more water than they suggest (2x instead of 1.5x)
- you CAN cook brown rice in it - but you need 3x the amount of water

Great product - does the job.
on 11 January 2012
I'd never have thought of buying a rice cooker if it weren't for Nigella Lawson's enthusiasm in "Kitchen" which was very persuasive. I did quite a bit of research and every rice cooker seemed to have a complete dichotomy between rave 5 star reviews and a smaller number of gloomy 1 star reviews. There was nothing much in between. It's clear you either love or hate your rice cooker. What I do know is that people in rice-eating cultures (i.e. Asia) all have rice cookers if they can possibly afford one. Being able to cook good rice in a saucepan is not a reason for not buying a rice cooker.

I bought this particular one because I'm often cooking rice for one or two and I didn't want a large rice cooker. Having said that, it would easily cook enough rice for 4 people, and it's quite physically large. It certainly takes up as much space on my work surface as I'm willing to give it.

So far I've used it twice: once for basmati rice, and tonight for sticky sushi rice to go with a Korean squid dish (I could go on about that since it was so delicious but that really would be going off topic). Both times the rice has been perfect.

What seems to be really really important is to let the rice sit for at least 10 minutes when it has switched to "warm". In fact at the point where the sushi rice switched to "warm" there was still a lot of water in the bowl, and we thought it had gone wrong, but 5 minutes later all the water had been absorbed and we had delcious perfect sticky rice. Also, I've read that if you don't leave the rice to stand, that's when you get problems with the rice sticking to the bowl.

Yes, it does produce a certain amount of steam in the cooking phase, but so what? So does boiling potatoes in a saucepan, and we don't see anything wrong with that.

Even after using it just twice, there is no way I'd go back to cooking rice in a saucepan - it's just so easy to put the rice in, put the water in, switch it on and get on with cooking your meal or watering the cat or playing the cello or watching Liverpool versus Man City or really whatever else you want to do.

The cooker is very light. I can see how people might describe the bowl and lid as flimsy. Only time will tell how robust it is. It is, after all, fairly inexpensive so maybe it won't last for years and years, but it certainly cooks perfect rice.
on 3 December 2011
It made very good rice. We used it to make 1 to 2 cups worth at a time and it didn't make any mess and it's a nice compact design so didn't take up too much room.

BUT it died after only 5 uses.

The other reviews are a mix of "its great" and "it broke" so I was hoping I'd get one of the great ones but since mine broke so quickly I won't be getting the same one again.

If the reliability problems were fixed then this would be a really good item.
on 20 October 2010
Very happy with this purchase as rice comes out perfectly! It makes enough for about four medium portions, or two huge ones. It's also very small so doesn't take up much room at all. Very glad I don't have to suffer with stodgy rice anymore! Recommended buy.
on 22 July 2009
I've had this cooker for about a month now, attracted by its low price. It's the right size for me, as I usually cook for one, but unfortunately it splutters and the water boils over, nearly every time I use it. I've tried differing amounts of water, and I've had better results with only a little bit of water, but then the rice ends up dry.

If anyone knows how to stop this rice cooker spluttering, then please leave a comment for this review, as I'd love to know.

(EDIT: S. Akella has provided a solution for the spluttering problem in the comments for this review. And, after using more rice cookers (this Lloytron was my first) I now accept this problem is not unique to the Lloytron. So, I have added another star to my review, as this cooker does the basics right, and cooks the rice well.)
on 5 January 2012
Worked great while it did. Used it exactly 8 times; On the 9th, I got my rice washed and into the little pot, added 1.5times the amount of water but never got the pot to cook the damn rice. I was not very surprised given the poor build of the product. I saw a neighbors Lloyton fan(Has only used it 3 times and seems to be counting down) which farther confirm my suspicions of the company. Very consistent with poor build.
on 30 December 2010
I would just like to let everyone know that this rice cooker ticked all the boxes for me!

It was the cheapest (which was an added bonus), it was the smallest and just all round convenient. I was looking around and prices varied, from £29 up to £97 for a small rice cooker. It depended on make and from where. So when I see this little Rice Cooker (at this price) I thought that I would give it a go. Theres only one test it has yet to take, and thats time. But as for all other needs, great. Could not recommend it enough.

Just one tip, I am sure I read this in a previous review when I was looking into buying this but, Add an extra cup full of water against the cup fulls of rice, it produces a nicer rice. It does advise this in the instructions i.e. 3 cups of rice, add 4 cups of water.

My main purpose was using the rice cooker to make rice for Sushi.

If your after a small rice cooker, Get it, you cant go wrong.
on 22 December 2010
Arrived quickly and in perfect condition.

Bought for my daughter who recently spent 2 years in S. Korea, using rice cookers. She has used it and I can confirm perfect rice!

Great price, well worth it and despite it's small size, can make enough rice for a family.