Customer reviews

Joanna Lumley in the Land of the Northern Lights [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 6 October 2017
Love watching travel DVD's of Joanna Lumley.
on 1 September 2017
Great dvd so able to watch whenever
on 8 January 2013
A very interesting and informative DVD. Subtitles very helpful. I can see the Northern Lights in the comfort of my own home! Really enjoyed it. I will be adding to this in the future if Joanna does anything more on travels, which I am sure she will!
on 21 June 2017
A great watch.
on 18 May 2017
Thanks a great DVD
on 15 October 2009
Lovely DVD about the northern lights from Joanna Lumley, she has a lovely voice in talking about these people and there way of life. Also about the book of 'Ponny the Penquin', from when she was a little girl, its just a very feel good DVD, I even cried when she laid in the snow looking up at those beautiful Northern Lights, I felt as if i was there with her!! I can highly recommend this DVD for young and old alike.
on 7 October 2009
This DVD is breathtaking. Joanna Lumley is amazing. Having been fortunate enough to visit Norway myself, I know at first hand how beautiful a country this is, and I was looking forward to seeing this programme.

It did not disappoint and I could watch it over and over. The scenery is out of this world. We did not go far enough to see the Northern Lights, but we enjoyed every moment that we spent in Norway.

Worth every single penny.

Amazon is always good value for money.
on 3 November 2009
Having Seen this 4 times now, I have to say that the only bad thing about this Documentary is that it wasn't developed into a Series. However, although there's only one episode, it's absolutely Fantastic. Having been interested in the North for years now, this is a really interesting Documentary for anybody who'se interests lie above Latitude 66 degrees! First of all the material covered is fantastic, It's a real treat for the viewer to be taken on a tour around some absolutely breathtaking parts around the top of the world and the real treat is of course, the Northern Lights.

Various other highlights include Joanna Lumley taking the train North at the start of her Journey, her stay in the eerily beautiful Ice Hotel and her stay at the Lofoten Islands. Aside from the breathtaking scenery on offer for the viewer, who else could have pulled this off but her. Lumley is engaging and very viewer friendly throughout the hour making it an extremely pleasant ordeal, she makes the journey very personal and she's a fantastic hostess, I won't spoil it but this documentary is a MUST-see!

There's nothing nicer than sitting down to watch this in Winter!
on 16 September 2009
This is a timely and quick release for Joanna Lumley's trip to Scandinavia in search of the Aurora Borealis. This was original shown on BBC HD and clearly clever photographic techniques were used to capture the beauty of the phenomenon. Living in the North of Scotland I sometimes get to see the lights, and although they are always awe-inspiring they were never like this. But although seeing the lights is the main focus of the show this is also a pleasant travelogue.

With all the good press Joanna has received recently, it is easy to warm to her personality and technique, which is to gush enthusiastically about everything and everybody. Often while watching these type of programs I find myself looking out for the little moments that get past the editing in which the local folk look slightly less enthused than they should be at being paraded before the cameras. There's none of that here. The people seem pleased to talk, and it's clear that everyone finds her pleasant and genuine.

There's little here that hasn't been covered before in snow-based travel shows: reindeers, people wearing reindeers, fish... but the journey is a diverting one and when she finally gets to see the lights, it's a journey worth taking.
on 4 August 2010
I agree with every aspect of the good reviews here. This is an educational, moving and stunning experience, made personal by Lumley herself; she oozes warmth and sincerity with each of the colourful personalities interviewed. The lights themselves are breathtaking, and as explained on the DVD extras, totally genuine.

My one addition is that the music used is fabulous - Norwegian composers abound. Grieg especially would have loved his compositions used to such good effect!

Great at any time of year, but a yearly must-see at Christmas in our family (my 7 & 8 year old daughters love it too), along with The Snowman!!