Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 July 2009
I really like Chris Daughtry. His unique blend of fresh, contemporary mainstream rock music breathes new life into the genre.
Anyone who already owns Chris' debut will no exactly what to expect here, some radio friendly rockers with a power ballad or two mixed in here and there.
In truth, "Leave This Town" is straight forward guitar based pop/rock, opening track "You Don't Belong" is about as heavy as it gets, bursting into a very catchy chorus that you'll soon be singing along to.
Chris lyrics are always very poignant, I often get the impression listening to them that he has drawn on experiences in his own life to make them up.
Take the wonderful ballad and best track on this record "September," it's an emotional track, the chorus lyrics "Of all the things I still remember, summers never looked the same, the years go by and time just seems to fly by, but the memories remain" are very thought provoking.
Other standout tracks for me include lead single "No Surprise," which if you think sounds alot like Nickelback then Chad Kroeger had writing credits on this one, no surprise there then.
"Learn My Lesson" again has that very catchy chorus, I would expect this song to be a single release later on.
Chris even trys his hand at a country rock song, track eleven is the wonderful semi acoustic "Tennessee Line," something which he pulls of remarkably well and I expect will rapidly become one of my personal favourites from the album.
No real weak moments, at a real push "Supernatural" feels uncomfortable, almost has a teen rock feel to it, I expect one of the many bonus tracks Chris is releasing at some point might have been better in its place.
In summary, "Leave This Town" is a great modern rock record and I highly recommend it.
Chris & Co can almost be assured of another multi platinum seller stateside and I hope more commercial success here.

I've now heard all of the bonus tracks available for "Leave This Town," I would not normally do a track by track review but in case you are interested here is my view:

1: "Long Way" - One of the first ballads written for the album originally, but developed into a strong rock number. Grows on you. 8/10
2: "One Last Chance" - A ballad, quiet verse/loud chorus scenario but not strong enough for the album. 6/10
3: "What Have We Become" - Awesome song. Could easily replace "Supernatural," very high tempo, killer chorus. Best track not on the album. 10/10
4: "On The Inside" - Very good song, surprised this didn't make it. Quiet acoustic opening, loud chorus, very catchy. 9/10
5: "Get Me Through" Similar sounding to "On The Inside." Nothing special about it, just a mainstream rock song. Could have been included. 7/10
6: "Traffic Light" In one word - weak. It's listenable, but dosn't work for me. Rightly didn't make the final cut. 4/10
7: "Back Again" - Actually the B-side to "No Surprise." Highly recommended, strong lyrically and musically. 8/10

PS: On a slightly different note, if you appreciate Daughtry's music then you might want to check out the debut CD by "Adelitas Way." It's available here on Amazon and is another strong modern rock record.
on 12 May 2015
Great band & excellent album
on 15 December 2013
Love this cd . Good source d quality in .your car
on 21 September 2016
The condition of the CD itself was very good but that of the case was disappointing as it was not the standard crystal case but instead one of the black DVD-style cases. There was the printed cover and rear paper panels but not all the songs on the CD were listed on it as though one of the pages were missing. I have replaced the black cover with a spare crystal case l had and have folded the paper panels into it to make it more presentable
on 10 July 2009

I've now heard all the bonus tracks available for "Leave This Town," I wouldn't normally do a track by track review but my views on them are below.

on 28 August 2009
Chris can do no wrong - as proven by this second album. A little 'rockier' than the first, the lyrics are no less intuitive, the melodies, no less passionate, and overall, you just want MORE - and I defy any fan not to turn up the volume on ANY of it. It is true 'music to my ears' and Mr Daughtry just goes from strength to strength. It simply amazes me that he didn't actually win the daft American TV show.
on 18 July 2009
It's been quite a while since Daughtry burst onto the scenes, with a fantasic debut album.

Finally with their follow up, it is much of the same strong vocals from Lead singer Chris Daughtry, with songs full of the usual pop/rock swagger.

Nice power balads in 'Life after You' and 'Open Up your Eyes', rocking out with 'You don't Belong' and 'Every time you Turn Around'. And an interesting Country sidestep with 'Tennesee Line'.

It's a sold, strong album, but in my opinion not as good as their first amazing album. Definitely worth a listen though as it's a 'grower'.
on 21 July 2009
Chris Daughtry and company return almost three years later to follow up on the release of 2006's multiplatinum self-titled debut which went on to be the highest selling album of 2007. After writing and recording his debut album while on the American Idol tour with session musicians, Daughtry, the band, comes together seamlessly on this radio-friendly follow-up. The album plays out as such.

1. You Don't Belong To Me- 9/10
The heaviest of rock songs on the album. For those who enjoyed Chris' harder tracks on the first release, this will be a song you enjoy.

2. No Surprise- 10/10
The first single off the album (and co-written by Nickelback lead singer Chad Kroeger), this tune is pop-rock in its finest form. The soaring bridge is the definite highlight of this track.

3. Every Time You Turn Around- 8/10
A midtempo rocker with a solid beat, this song builds up nicely to a catchy chorus. This one definitely has single potential.

4. Life After You- 9/10
The first true ballad on the album, Daughtry's raw emotion comes to the forefront in the vocals on this track. Very heartfelt, and very catchy, this song is a surefire single.

5. What I Meant To Say- 8/10
A rocking song with a soaring chorus and powerful vocal delivery.

6. Open Up Your Eyes- 9/10
A midtempo track with solid lyrics and an emotionally driven delivery.

7. September- 10/10
An amazingly crafted acoustic gem that breaks into a midtempo rock song. Daughtry is able to show off his vocal chops on this one. This track builds throughout, leading to a huge payoff at the end. Best song on the album.

8. Ghost Of Me- 8/10
An uptempo rock song with a soaring chorus that utilizes solid backing vocals and searing guitar riffs.

9. Learn My Lesson- 8/10
A solid midtepmo song that doesn't quite deliver as much as the other ballads on the album.

10. Supernatural- 9/10
An extremely uptempo rocking track that utilizes driving guitar riffs to create an almost manic effect throughout.

11. Tennessee Line- 9/10
One of the slower paced songs on the album, this track toes the line between rock and country while never quite crossing it. An emotional ballad with excellent backing vocals, a string section, and a beautiful steel guitar ringing throughout. A Bit Country for us British.

12. Call Your Name- 10/10
This haunting acoustic track is a solid way to close out the album. One of the more emotional tracks on the album, Daughtry is at his best on this tune.

If it isn't broken, why try to fix it? Daughtry doesn't produce anything earth shatteringly original with this new offering, but they do succeed immensely in crafting 12(Plus 8 others. See Paragraph Below) songs that are sure to please the millions of fans who purchased their debut album. Their latest effort is chalk-full of catchy tunes that will be sure to keep Daughtry blasting away on every mainstream radio station for the next few years.

On a side note: pick up the two bonus tracks ("Still You On the Inside" & "What We Have Become") on I Tunes to complete this album. And then try to find the other bonus tracks that are out there: "Traffic Light", "One Last Chance", "Get Me Through", "Long Way", "Back Again", and "Poker Face (Lady GaGa Cover)
on 10 February 2010
I bought this albumn on a whim, not following the x factor type genre of TV I had never heard of Chris Daughtry, but hearing a song on the radio by Westlife (yes i know!) I thought it sounded rocky and looked into who the orginal was by as guessing it was too good for Westlife to write it had to be a cover!
Looking up the song I found it was by Daughtry and listned to a few clips decided to buy both CD's which turned out to be money really well spent as both Leave This Town and the debut CD's have never been out of my CD players!
Firstly Chris Daughtry has an amazing rock voice, combined with some good radio friendly guitar licks these albums are instantly likable if I had to choose between the two i prefer 'Leave This Town' it just seems a little bit more slicker, and flows better for me possibly more of a band effort than the orginal which I'm guessing was to promote Chris Duaghtry as a singer not a fully fledged band based on his exposure from TV.
A stand out track for me is 'Open Your Eyes' first time i listened to it gave me goosebumps just a really good constructed song which written by Ben Moody is brillant! I litterally have this CD on most of the day and so far have never got tired of it.
In a nutshell if you like good radio friendly rock music shell out a few quid for this CD you will not be disappointed, I for one am looking forward to what these guys have to offer in the future, if its as goood as this CD I for one will not be disappointed.
on 13 September 2012
Leave This Town (Tour Edition)Got this album, previous reviews by Mr.Henderson are misleading, the tracklist of B sides only includes 2 extra songs not 6. But it's fab anyway!!
The tracks reviewed that are not on the disc are as follows:-

Long Way
On the Inside
Traffic Light
Back Again.

Actual track listing is as follows-
CD:-

What about now
No Surprise
Life after you
September.

The CD Mr Henderson reviews is Leave This Town (extra tracks import) and doesn't have a dvd, costs £42 and has the same review by Mr Henderson.