Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 September 2009
You can tell from a mile that this is Sigur Rós Related but more peaceful, no lyrics just titles which accompany the music perfectly. Some songs can make tears jerks quickly - the atlas song give great relief of happiness, my personal favorites are Howl and Sleeping Giant for their unique ora - which feed me into listening to it all over again. A very moving album perfect for the humble hearted.
on 25 March 2013
You have had a hard day, you come home and get into something comfy, make a warm drink and sit down in a darkened room. Play this and you will drift into a world of beauty, innocence and calm. It makes all the other stuff go away.
on 22 March 2013
Being, yet another, massive sigur ros fan, when i learned that frontman jonsi had teamed up with his partner alex to create an album, i bought it straight away without knowing exactly what i was letting myself in for.

Four years later and i am still listening to the cd in my car frequently, it relaxes me and just makes me a nicer person on the road, not that i am an aggressive driver or nowt, i am not, but i do get frustrated with others inability to drive in the correct and right manner. Plus the slow pace of this recording tends to make one drive slower anyway.

But this is not my self help album of the month or anything, its more than that, the music itself, well, have you heard it? Then really, need i say more if you have? If not, then you are in for a treat, although this album will probably not appeal t everyone, and depending where we are in life, we dont always appreciate beautiful and quiet music, which leans heavily towards, dare i say it? Ambient?

But it is very chilled out, there is no getting away from that, its so chilled out that it makes the KLF Chill Out album look ballistic and heady in comparison. Riceboy sleeps is a different ambient, more ethereal, whimsical, playful, magestic, haunting, and sometimes just a tiny tiny bit eerie.

Despite owning the cd already, i had to buy the album digitally, now its on my phone wherever i am, im actually listening to it right now at 3:05am, though really, i can listen to this lovely album day and night.

Comparisons to sigur ros will always be made, rightly or wrongly, but i think this work stands out well enough, even without the rather obvious sigur ros connection, as jonsi and alex have delivered a fine piece which is a million miles away from jonsi's current and past work with sigur ros.

Let this album intoxicate you and take you away for an hour or so, its a musical trip thats as gentle and tender than anything i have heard in a long time. I do hope they make another album together, we can never have enough gorgeous music.
on 20 March 2011
You need to buy this. This music is more relaxing than Eno's "Music for Airports" (Daniell in the Sea) more beautiful than the "Agnus Dei" from Faure's Requiem (Boy 1904). It's all here. Strings. Glitch. Tenderness. Choirs. Longing. Reverb. Piano. Crackles. Love. Feedback. Chimes. The layers of sound wash over each other. Sonething creeps in as another fades out. Constantly moving and breathing. Surrounding you in it's ebb and flow. Breath with it. Recline into it and allow yourself to be carried along. It's fluid and interesting, lacking in form yet perfectly constructed. It has been a treasure to me and always brought me back when I've been feeling stressed at work. Thank you Jonsi. Thank you Alex. You are beautiful people.
on 20 July 2009
I am just taken aback by how beautiful this music is.. I have always enjoyed their music. But this solo attempt from two members of Sigur Ros have just knocked me for six.... i have just listened to Danielle in the sea over and over again and i just cant stop myself.. I would say its haunting. But as always, when i try to explain to people what this band is like.. i have no other words than this... If there is a heaven and music is played there then Sigur Ros is it. Whether its the whole band or a few members, your life will feel more fulfilled for having this music in it.
on 13 January 2011
If your a fan of sigur ros or jonsi, then this cd is a definite for your collection. If your not, Riceboy sleep is an ambient album made by Sigur Ros front man Jonsi and his parnter Alex. The album contains very little singing, it is mainly made up of instrumental sounds, apart from the use of a choir in one song Boy 1904. I didnt know what to expect when I purchased Riceboy Sleeps, but im glad I did. My personal favorite songs are Happiness and Altas Boy, but the rest of the album is good too. I think its worth giving this album a try, its not mainstream so it kind of flys under the the radar but its really good. Its a bit like Explosions in the Sky or Mogwai just more mellow. If your thinking should I buy this album will I like it? You should because I thought the exact same and there hasnt been a month thats gone by when I regretted it.
on 19 July 2009
Okay before we start, I must make it known that I am a big Sigur Ros fan. So you can imagine how my eyes popped out of my head when I heard about this release! A kind of spin off from two of the bands members. I knew instantly that I would fall in love with this CD only because I knew the type of music that they have produced in the past. Very mellow sounding CD here - not as uplifting sometimes as Sigur Ros's last CD - but if its mellow you are after, look no further and come right in! There is a beautiful piece (track 4) where they use a boys choir to great effect. This is the type of CD that if I was a movie producer, I would be most eager to have this type of sound on my movie. Can't go wrong with this. Most impressive!!