Top positive review
402 people found this helpful
I'll take a potato chip ... and eat it!
on 26 January 2010
All of these reviews are about the anime, so I'm going to write about the DVD box set contents, so people know what they're getting for their money. ^.^
* The Packaging:
The box set houses 9 thin DVD cases. Each DVD has a different character printed on the cover, and is 'dedicated' to that character i.e. most of the artwork, galleries & voice actor interviews on that disc are based on the cover character.
* The main contents:
Each DVD has 4 episodes of Death Note, DVD 9 has 5 episodes. In total there are 37 episodes of Death Note.
The language settings:
You have 4 options
1: English Dubbed
3. Japanese with English Subs
4. English Dubbed with English Subs*
* The english DUBs and english SUBs are not the same (as the SUB is the literal translation whereas the DUB has been altered to fit the animation). So if you want to watch the English dub with english subs on at the same time (e.g. for the hard of hearing), they will not match up.
All of these are in Dolby Digital 2.0 sound. The sound is still very good though. ^.^
* The extra contents *
- Production Artwork galleries on 8 of the DVDs (images of initial artwork in a slide show)
- Behind the scenes - interviews with the english voice actors and clips of their recording sessions
Each of the 9 DVDs has a 20 minute behind-the-scenes recording session with a different character (usually the character on the cover of the DVD case). Being able to see Kirby Morrow (Mikami) in action ('Delete, Delete, DELEEEETE!') is just awesome. XD
- An interview with the director and one of the character designers
- Audio commentaries by english voice actors (on a few selected episodes: 7, 17, 23, 25, 30, 37)
- Clean opening and closing (opening and closing animation without credits)
- Trailers of other animes (Bleach etc.)
This also comes with a 67 page illustration booklet. This has sketches of all the main characters, and full colour images of some of the locations.
*The DVD extras & booklet contain spoilers.*