on 12 September 2017
Forget Hollywood, this movie had a budget of $100000 with two hand held cameras
and a tiny film crew chronicling the lives of two musicians who are thrust together by accident in a common love of performing and composing. It's a love story that is or isn't depending on your perspective it's tear jerking and lump in the throat inducing and thoughtful direction made this an obvious nomination for academy awards. However, who could have known that this film would have won not one but two oscars for Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. Propelling them to a meteoric rise in fame that was chronicled in black and white in a sequel that gives a fly on wall optic of their American tour(The Swell Season) Warts and all.
on 28 December 2016
This soundtrack is probably one of the best I have ever heard. Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová's song "If You Want Me" had me in tears. Before seeing the film I hadn't heard of them, but am now in the process of buying every cd they have both made. I only found out through Google that Glen Hansard was in The Commitments. Oh the voice of them both is absolutely beautiful.......
4 people found this helpful
on 25 February 2011
Watch the film, buy the soundtrack and prepare to fall in love. A beautiful film with an amazing soundtrack which I had to buy. The songs are beautiful, emotive and moving. Think modern folk like Laura Marling or Bon Ivor. The first track "Falling Slowly" is one of those songs that make you wonder how you have lived without this song being in your life before now. Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova both have beautiful voices, with Marketa's pure tone being contrasted by Glen's powerful emotive voice. So much better than the rubbish which pollutes the charts today. I am 34 and love all genres of music from Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath, to The Shins and Bon Ivor.
Highly recommended.
on 25 August 2015
I oredered this having watched the films and despite my not being into folk at all love this. I play it tirelessly in the car and have been seen at traffic lights singing my hear out.
It is raw and real and great for days when I am in the more thoughtful calm moods.
on 27 June 2017
This is one of my all time favourite films. It's roughly a third music so if you don't like the songs then that might be a problem! I love it. The story works beautifully and the main characters are wonderful.
on 6 July 2013
I was drawn to the ideas in the motion picture and was completely captured by the music. I then bought more from Glen Hansard & the musical which is selling now, is a must! I will miss the pairing on the film & CD, but have listened to a few of the musical's songs and think I will love it! Recommend the film, the CD, if you like them, more by Glen Hansard & almost certainly, the musical!
on 12 August 2015
Loved the film and ordered the CD before the final credits. Have to admit that, after several plays, I'm now slightly obsessed with Glen Hasgard's music. I watched the film again and it was even more special now that I was more familiar with the music. Highly recommend the film but particularly this CD, outstanding!
on 17 January 2014
As I was watching the film Once, I looked up the sound track and bought the cd straight away!

I have never done that, and I watch many films!

I cry everytime I listen to it...and yes I am a woman and yes I am a pisces!

Very touching, and very raw.

Thank you!
on 12 March 2011
These two artists were completely unknown to me until I viewed the movie screened recently on BBC.
Immediately got this download and was NOT disappointed.
Along with some lovely melodic and atmospheric tracks from Marketa Irglova are Glen Hansards "angry" voice giving his all on the busking tunes! Plus the sensual duets from them both showing Glen's range of singing voices
All in all a REAL find - GO GET IT!
on 9 March 2014
Just give yourself a treat and watch the DVD of this simple yet powerfully deep and romantic movie. It is a rare gem and is so uplifting and delightful.Then, buy the CD and lose yourself in the best selection of songs, divine lyrics and the powerfully beautiful voices of Glen Hansard and Marketa Inglova. To me , it is one of the CDs & DVDs ever produced. Love it, love it ,love it!!