on 22 August 2006
I wasn't very impressed by this book - if you're looking for a general book then the Pregnancy Bible (written by a team of experts), which I bought at the same time, is much better and more detailed.

In addition, this book annoyed me sometimes, e.g. rather than having the baby's week-by-week development, here it's month-by-month. Plus there's a certain amount of self-advertising (I'm sure she's wonderful, whoever she is, but that's not why I bought the book). And at the beginning a slightly strange suggestion that pregnant women should be eating liver -- everything else I've read says you shouldn't!

Basically, it's OK but why buy it when others are so much better?
on 18 June 2006
If you are looking for a good pregnancy guide give this one a miss. If you want an example of why check out the chapter on "Food and Eating in Pregnancy". It sets such a high standard of vigilance, time and effort that most women who lead busy modern lives (in fact any woman who doesn't have an in-house chef and nutritionist) are bound to "fail" Dr Miriam's strict rules. It's a theme that continues throughout the book. I would look out for something that takes a more common sense, practical and balanced approach to modern pregnancy. This book only serves to make you feel stressed, guilty and inadequate and for no good reason. Good Luck. A good sensible book on this topic is hard to find.
on 24 August 2006
I found this book a little bit lacking details. It mentions none of the common symptoms of pregnancy, like bleeding during pregnancy or the early pains felt during implanation. Consulting this book for the symptoms I suffered was not useful at all.

It doesn't really look at variances in pregnancy at all, like weight loss instead of weight gain.

Not a great purchase really.
on 10 January 2014
I found this book very good to help me prepare for the birth of my baby. It was simple and had clear illustrations that helped me explain what was ahead to my husband! I felt prepared about all the procedures that can happen at birth.
on 29 July 2013
When you find out you're pregnant, your natural instinct is to read about (or Google) everything that could go wrong and worry yourself sick. If you enjoy scaring yourself silly, this is the book for you.

This book offers no encouragement or guidance and reads more like a medical textbook written by a stern matronly figure. It has no warmth and is very dated in parts. Much of the advice is now being replaced.

Personally, at 6 weeks pregnant, I didn't need to know all the different ways an episiotomy could be performed. At 30 weeks, I didn't plan to stumble upon a chapter about still birth while looking for advice on breathing exercises. OK, I guess it's cool to know what a ventouse looks like, but there's a difference between sensible preparation and panicking yourself for no reason, and I don't think this book is useful in that respect.

Finally, some of the advice here is very patronising and/or downright ridiculous. For example, Dr Stoppard has included a handy list of hospital bag essentials that includes eau de cologne. Eau de cologne??! Please buy a modern book and skip over this old-fashioned rubbish.
on 29 November 2000
An Excellent source of information, and pictures, at every stage of pregnancy. Advice on "what you may experience and why" is clearly laid out. A real must for expectant mums and dads to be.
on 13 November 2007
I didn't really like this book too much. Like the others have already said, it's a bit basic. Plus, there is some very strange advice in it, which sounds dated and/or scientifically rather dubious - e.g., that playing loud rock music somehow agitates the baby in the womb...and that you should stick to classical, or some such....er? Some of the stuff about diet is also very OTT - like the advice to completely avoid sausages or cured meats because of their high nitrite/nitrate (can't remember which) content ... Sure, if you eat this stuff every day your baby isn't going to thank you but once in a while will not hurt providing you take all necessary steps to avoid listeria/ toxoplasmosis. Maybe I am just super-picky , but this sort of mildly fanatical approach made me question the whole book. There are better ones out there.
on 19 March 2008
I liked this book - I also looked at the Lesley Regan one, but found this had better coverage of natural birth options - the Regan one has just one page on homebirth. This book gives more even coverage of options. I agree with other reviewers though that the editors updating it missed some points - there is also conflicting advice on eating peanuts, and I found the nutrition chapters unnecessarily complicated. But I'm still giving it 4 stars because generally I liked the layout and content, and it had a positive and holistic approach. For those who are more inclined to a hospital birth, you would probably find the Regan one more comprehensive and helpful.
on 12 August 2000
Miriam Stoppard takes you from the first thought of planning a family through to the happy event of birth with clear and factual advice for every step. This book will help and assist you every day, answering your questions and keeping you informed of just what is happening to your body. The book starts its guidance from the first thought of starting a family through worries of conception, possible problems, signs to watch out for, health advice, what is happening to your body and how your baby is developing. The advice is clear, concise and puts you at ease during the most stressful time of a womans life.
on 10 July 2006
This book is invaluable, we loved it. Great tips from someone who clearly knows what she's talking about.