on 24 September 2009
Very very good electric toothbrush. Has quite a fast action, so it cleans teeth very quickly and efficiently. The toothbrushes 'buzzes' 4 times during the two-minute cycle, to let you know when to switch between upper/lower, front/back of teeth. It's a bit pointless, but a nice touch i guess. The battery lasts a long time. I use the product for about 2-4 minutes, three times a day, and i've only charged it once (used it about a week, i think), but i think the battery is still almost full, though there's no way to check. Nice 'battery low' indicator too on the toothbrush. Another green LED also whilst charging, which is good. If you brush too hard, then a light on the back lights up quite brightly to warn you, which is very useful if you are quite heavy handed! Basically, this toothbrush is all you need for an electric toothbrush. My hygenist told me there's no point in paying for the really expensive models, because this one does just exactly the same thing, but without all the silly extras like an LCD timer. Highly reccommended product! :)
22 comments| 662 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2009
I was very sceptical about all the hype of this toothbrush and decided to take a gamble due to the half price offer. I suffer from the bleeding gums. Got the tooth brush and boy I am been nothing but impressed.

The pulse are strong and you can see the results of cleaner teeth very quickly. This brush came with a 30 days money back challenge from Oral-B but I was impressed with the results by the second day of use.

One thing I would recommend is that you can use all types of interchangable heads on these. You are not restricted. I have also bought seperate polishing heads from Tesco and they work a charm

In summary, dont think twice. GO FOR IT. You have the Oral-B guarantee plus the return policy of Amazon and you will not regret your decision.
0Comment| 228 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 December 2009
As a dentist I can reassure you that this toothbrush is excellent in cleaning teeth,and quite cheap, since it doesn't have all this unnecessary stuff,eg digital screen etc.
0Comment| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 August 2010
For years I've thought electric toothbrushes were just the products of clever marketing aimed at the gadget market or at lazy brushers, or both. I was a traditionalist who thought that the harder I brushed, the cleaner my teeth would be. In other words I was a committed sceptic. In one month this view changed completely.

This review isn't only about the toothbrush; it's also about the huge effect the toothbrush had on the state of my teeth and gums (ie the REALLY important issues!).

For many years when I'd brush my teeth I'd spit blood into the basin - bleeding gums that many dentists and hygienists had warned me about. One hygienist recently suggested that I change to electric and gave me some numbers to be able to measure the improvement. Here are the results (June/July 2010):

- Before dental treatment and before electric: 75% bleeding + 65% plaque.
- Two weeks after hygienist treatment and using my dear Braun Oral-B electric: 12% bleeding + 10% plaque.
- Six weeks after a second treatment and still using electric: less than 2% bleeding + 1% plaque.
- August 2010: no bleeding at all and less than 1% plaque.

Of course I'm happy: no more blood in the basin, and confidence now that my teeth and gums are healthy and strong. But none of this would have been possible without the electric toothbrush, so here's a short review on it.

Choosing a model - the hygienist strongly advised buying a model with at least 8000 rotations/minute and lots and lots of vibrations, so don't waste your money on the cheapies. I liked the Braun Oral-B range better than any others, and found this one on Amazon for £30, about half the price of many others with the same features.
This model: Braun Oral-B Professional Care 1000 1 Mode Rechargeable Toothbrush

Brushing - repeat: go for a brush that rotates at least 8000 rotations/minute. This brush is really simple to use: you charge it, put on the brush head and toothpaste and press the button - no settings, no dials, no complications ... no effort! The motor 'stutters' briefly every 30 seconds to indicate when you've done enough brushing in each quarter of your mouth (ie upper left quarter, upper right quarter etc), and gives a good 'hiccup' when you're done (2 minutes twice a day is the recommended brushing time). Some people don't seem to like this 'stuttering' feature, but it's really neat and means you don't have to guess how long you've been brushing. You also don't have to look at a timer or a clock. If you press too hard a red light shines - probably useful for some people, but you'll soon get out out of the thinking that pressing hard = cleaner teeth. Let the brush do the work. When you're done, rinse the whole thing under the tap; as you'd expect it's fully waterproof. The vibrations of the brush make your gums and teeth feel like they've never felt before - clean and tingling.

Whiter teeth? Yes, really! I didn't believe the claims for whiter teeth either, but even with regular supermarket toothpaste my teeth are several shades brighter than they were just 2 months ago (and that's my wife's comment, not mine!)

Charging - there's a neat little charger, but with this model the whole set up is pretty unstable because it's top heavy and the base is too small. This is the only less-than-adequate design of this model. Advice - use Blutack to secure it. The initial charge time of 17 hours isn't really a problem, and charging the toothbrush every couple of days seems to work well (two of us use the same toothbrush body ... but not the same brush head!).

Other features of other models - various brushing programmes, different speeds, digital displays, etc aren't worth the extra money as far as I can see, but if you like buttons and gadgets, and want to spend another £20 or £30 (or more), then move upmarket.
Braun Oral-B Triumph IQ 5000 with SmartGuide Rechargeable Power Toothbrush

So while the Braun hasn't fixed up my gums and teeth all by itself, it has played a huge part in the great results above and I wouldn't change it for anything else. Great value. Great results
11 comment| 183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 2 November 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I normally use a Sonicare toothbrush, which I bought on the recommendation of my dentist. He rates Sonicare highly, he said, although he didn't offer me any reduction on my dental insurance - not prepared to put his money where my mouth was, perhaps.

Anyway, the Sonicare works very differently to this beastie, and at first I was very aware of the difference. This is much more in the style of the sort of toothbrush your dentist uses to polish your teeth after the descaling is done. It works well and is comfortable in the hand. There's a (perhaps gimmicky) feature whereby a red light is illuminated if you press too hard, and the brush stutters after 30 seconds of brushing to remind you to move on to the next quarter of your mouth.

As you would exoect, it's easy to set up. You plug in the charger and place the brush base over it (there's a prong which sticks up) and, 14 hours or so later (ie a loooong overnight) it's ready.

I would put this at the good, basic, workmanlike end of the market. I think reasonable value for money and it feels robust. If I hadn't been used to a Sonicare (which wouldn't suit all - they're difficult to get used to - and the rechargeables start at about twice the price of this one) I think I would be well suited.
22 comments| 327 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 18 October 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Of all the Oral B range (& there is quite a lot of them all doing the same job - cleaning teeth) this is probably the best choice to make.

Its probably classed as a mid range toothbrush but it does the job without the many gimmicks of the top of the range products.

It feels a solid well made product and only has one cleaning mode - which lets face it is all that you need. Im not even sure the various programmed cleaning modes of other brushes actually make any difference to the end result - you just want clean teeth right ?

It has a two minute cycle and will buzz to let you know when its done.

There is also a handy battery low indicator - but basically you just stick it in the charger when you are finished and the battery will stay topped up anyway.

It doesn't get five stars because the two pin plug is too long (as is the case with the entire Oral B range)- If you have to use an adapter to fit it to a standard 3 pin socket it sticks out from the wall far too much in my oppinion.
22 comments| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having had (what was at the time) a top of the range Oral-B electric brush for the past few years, I found this model very basic. No fancy extra 'modes' for sensitive teeth, polish, etc. However, it undeniably does the job. The motor is noticeably more powerful than my old one (which is getting a bit tired now) and my teeth feel cleaner as a result.

There is a very bright red LED to tell you if you press too hard, but the brush keeps going. This is better than my last model, which simply stopped if you pressed too hard - very annoying. It has the same basic timer mechanism (little pauses in the brushing) which works well and much less tiresome than the electronic beeps of some other makes.

Another good point, in my book, is that this model uses the simple basic round brush. This means that it is cheaper to get replacement heads. Also, although this model does not have a 'sensitive teeth' mode, it is worth noting that Oral-B produce a softer brush head which is much gentler on the teeth - this is a better option than a slower brush speed in my opinion.

I am knocking off a star for Oral-B being a bit mean and not giving a decent spare brush holder with this model - they are trying to get you to fork out for a fancier one.
0Comment| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2015
There are loads of reviews of this brush here which cover lots of aspects of this product. It is fair to say that the majority are very positive. When it comes to the clean your teeth get with this I would wholeheartedly agree. As an entry-level electric brush it's fab and leaves your mouth and teeth feeling worlds cleaner than what you could achieve with a manual and many other lesser electric brushes.

However, there is a major flaw in the design of these brushes. This is coming from someone who's owned this model since November 2013 and I had an Oral B Triumph with SmartGuide before this (also manufactured by Braun). These brushes share many characteristics in terms of build quality, which is excellent. Braun cheaps out on the batteries for these things. Within 18 months of purchase, both these Braun toothbrushes begin to suffer very poor battery life, to the point whereby you end up having to have it plugged in and charging almost constantly, despite following the instructions on how to keep the battery in good order (i.e. allow a full discharge once every 3-6 months, fully recharge, don't leave charging all the time).

The cause of this is cheap NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) AA battery cells used in the handles which are not user replaceable. It's a big con to have to send your handle to Braun to replace something that is widely available to consumers. Furthermore, I suspect that the quality of the cells they use is very very low. Good quality consumer NiMH batteries will operate effectively after 1000 discharge cycles or more. These things conk out after maybe 100 charge cycles which is absolutely abysmal.

I think given the expensive nature of the brush heads the least Braun could do is make these batteries user-replaceable. Else you end up having to dispose of a handle that, mechanically, is in perfect working order, because it costs so much to send it off to them to have the battery changed that it makes more sense to bin it and buy new than do this - and that is not right. Either that or they should stop trying to save pennies by putting rubbish batteries in them and use either quality NiMH or move to Li-Po.
on 17 January 2012
When used this toothbrush leaked a grey metallic substance from its pin. When I contacted Braun they informed me that this was due to oxidation of the metal pin due to the toothpaste - usually whitening toothpaste. Braun customer care said it was non-toxic. They also said it was not an uncommon product complaint. However when I asked what the metal was they could not tell me and when I asked what the evidence was that it was non-toxic they could not tell me. Nor could they provide an email address or telephone number of someone in Braun who could. I round tripped to different sections for about 30 minutes without an answer. As a medical doctor with some training in toxicology I was left with the problem of - is a customer care reassurance enough evidence to allow my children to use a product that leaks metal into their mouths? The item, which worked well in all other respects, was returned. I would welcome a comment from Braun answering the above questions and if they can confirm what the metal is and how they have confirmed it is non-toxic - then I will revise this review.
11 comment| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 July 2013
Toothbrush is excellent, but like a great number of other customers, I've just discovered that the charger is not fit for purpose. Worked flawlessly for 7 months, before suddenly giving up yesterday