on 15 October 2009
Purchased this a week ago and have been delighted with the quality and ease of use of this device. It is small enough to drop in your pocket and powers on quickly allowing you to capture the moment in 720p HD film, all for £140!

Pros:
* Fantastic picture quality
* Easy To use
* Very portable
* Good build quality

Cons:
* Need to download beta FlipShare (which is hard to find a link) for use with Mac OS X Snow Leopard (or Use iMovie)
* Takes forever to charge (7 hours!) (TIP: As you can use any AA batteries purchase some good quality rechargables with a rapid chargerand use these instead, such as the GP Recyko 2 Hour Fast Battery Charger & 4 x AA Rechargeable Batteries!)
44 Comments| 209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 July 2009
I've had the Flip Ultra HD for 48hours now and couldn't be happier.

Open the box, install the batteries and you can start shooting straight away. The controls are intuitive and the instruction manual is welcome in it's brevity and ease of reference.
Connect the Ultra to your PC and the software will install straight away. I was a little concerned that the minimum system requirements (Intel 3Ghz processor) would cause an issue but my Intel 2Ghz copes admirably and the videos playback without stutter-or-stalling.
I bought the Ultra so i could have a HD recording device to hand to capture those unique moments when my eternally amusing children perform their acts of circus. We bought a camcorder a few years back for over £800 but because of it's bulky dimensions, it's literally never been used. The Ultra is the same size as a chunky nokia phone of the 2006 era and is easy to fit in your pocket and transport around - easy to get-to-hand and start shooting and capture those memorable moments: exactly why i bought it.

All in all, very happy. Only disappointment was that the Amazon product description told me that an HDMI cable would be included in the box, and it's not. Turns out that any generic HDMI cable will work, AS LONG as it has a mini-connector (type c; which fits the Ultra) and standard HDMI connector (Type A - which plugs into your HD TV). I'm off to PC World to buy one of these later. If there's any issue in playing back on the TV, I'll let you know.
1414 Comments| 565 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 September 2009
A very handy and pratical HD camera that is easy to get out and use at a moments notice. Only slightly bigger than a mobile phone so it is very easy to carry. Some reviewers have mentioned that is does not come with a charger which is true but the item description shows it doesn't include this as you charge it up via your computers USB port. A charger is available but this is an optional extra which you purchase separately.

This camera can store up to 2 hours worth of footage and is super easy to download to your PC. The editing software supplied with the camera is very useful and easy to use. It allows you to trim films but unfortunatly this doesn't mean the file size decreases as it only marks the stop and start of where you want to see rather than trimming the file. It does have a nice feature of being able to join footage together and add titles, copy etc. So for the price the package is very reasonable. If you need a better editing software then you could purchase one separately.

Another good feature is that it uses standard AA rechargable batteries so should you be away somewhere for a while where it isn't easy to plug in a charger or charge via a PC then you could use spares instead. So far we haven't had any problems with the battery life and haven't had to recharge whilst out.

We are very pleased with the camera and again for the price of HD camera's this is a good buy in our opinion.

As a busy family I find this camera very easy and quick to use and its captured some instant moments.
11 Comment| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 September 2009
Hi, if you want a camcorder with good quality and value for money this is the one , plus you can put it in your pocket and take it anywhere.
Easy to use, and the software that comes in the camcorder is great you can play around with your movies, photos add music.
We are very satisfied with this product.
on 5 July 2010
I hesitated for some time before buying this due mainly to the mixed reviews on Amazon and elsewhere. However, having looked at similar products, there seemed to be no close alternative (and all suffered similar levels of tech. issues). Add to this a Best Buy score in Which and Amazon's excellent returns service (if I DID experience any of the technical problems detailed in other reviews I could return) I decided to take the plunge.

So far 100% happy. I am sure I am not unique in that I need something as simple as possible to capture those special moments of family life. Things that are so often missed because the old video camera is either too cumbersome to use, or is stuck in the cupboard uncharged.

The Flip is absolutely perfect for this. Virtually instant from switch on and so portable it is never an issue to take anywhere. The picture quality is superb and any of the added features available on bigger camcorders are just not missed (how many great videos have you made in sepia?)

I have taken off one star simply because it did not come with an HDMI cable or a USB extension cable (which is basically essential if you are working off anything other than a laptop). Although both of these only cost a couple of quid (and thus would only cost pence for a manufacturer to add into the box) it pains me to have to further purchase something that really is required to make the thing fully functional.

I will update this review if I do experience any problems, but thus far (2 weeks) it has worked a dream.

UPDATE
Still love this thing! Is simply perfect for quick capture of special moments, days out and family hols. Only gripe would be charging. Through USB it takes AGES plus the charging symbol never appears to actually show the thing is charging so you are never sure if it is charged fully or not. Would therefore suggest a mains charger is a good thing to get. Otherwise superb.
on 28 November 2015
Just arrived. From what I can see. Perfect condition. No scratches or marks. Going to give it as a present to my other half. So haven't used it yet. But turned it on and charged it. Seems very good
on 26 April 2010
Highly delighted with this item. Bought from amazon and all the information I wanted before choosing to buy was readily available. This item does exactly what it says - point & shoot your video take to the computer or netbook, flip the USB connection arm, download and your video is ready for cutting, or just emailing to family or friends. No fuss , no difficulty exactly as it says.
on 3 December 2014
good stuff
on 26 June 2010
I bought the Flip Ultra HD 8gb last week. It is an amazing camera. The sound quality and picture are supurb when you upload it to your computer. I am completely impressed with how the bass is not diminished as it is on most cameras. It is so easy to use. I LOVE it! Here is the big rub:

Being a Flip, there is an option of uploading it straight from your camera to the internet via the little flippy out USB connector. You just press it and it plugs straight into your computer and you can put your video straight into Youtube or myspace or in an email (which sends the recipient a link to see it online at a flip site). The problem with the HD version of this camera is that although the picture quality after uploading straight from the camera to the internet is beautiful- the sound absolutely suffers immensely. It sounds as if the audio was recorded under water because it phases in and out so dreadfully. It is not at all good enough or even good at all. It is relatively quick to upload to the web straight from the camera, but I think because this Flip is HD, it compresses it so much that the sound becomes distorted.

What I ended up doing was uploading it to my computer which took a long time- then I uploaded the videos to the internet from my computer. Each 3 minute bit of film took a full hour to put onto the internet (I have a superfast braodband connection) from my computer because it is "HD" (normally it takes about 15 minutes when it is not an HD Flip or when you upload it from the HD camera to the internet), but it is better quality from the flip to the computer to the internet than the hellish uploads straight from the camera. If the sound does not matter so much, it will probably be ok to share right from the camera to the web- but if it is music- don't waste the 15 minutes it takes to upload right from the camera. Spend the hour it takes to do it from the computer to youtube/myspace /in an email etc. I had a Flip 4GB that was not HD and this problem did not happen- it uploaded straight to the internet and both the sound and picture quality were brilliant. If you are looking for a fast convenient way- get the non HD version of this camera (plus it is a lot cheaper)... But it is nice if you are not bothered about sharing your videos online. It takes 6 hours to charge the battery - you do this by plugging it via the USB into your computer, which must be kept on for the 6 hours in order for it to charge. The battery lasts for about 30 minutes of filming. You can also install normal batteries if you need it in a hurry and your lithium re-chargeable one is not ready. Would I buy this Flip HD version again or recommend it to a friend? No. But I love the idea of the Flip so much and I love the older version that worked so beautifully. I hope this helps you decide what to buy.
55 Comments| 284 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2011
I purchased this camera a while back and worked great at first. I loved how easy it was to use and really easy to upload videos (although the settings for my computer would change to basic). I used it a fair bit but after about 6 months the videos I shot were jumpy and missed out frames. I would then charge it as normal, but when I went to use the camera, it would only have about 2 minutes battery life in it. It was very disappointing as I had not had the camera that long and now it is completely useless and I need to purchase a different camera. I have heard about many people experiencing problems with this particular camera - they work great at first, but do not seem to have a very long life, so just bare this in mind if you are thinking of purchasing one.