Customer reviews

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 14 November 2016
This movie is that rare beast of a sci-fi movie that tries to look at the Universe for the wonder that it is, to blow the minds of the open minded viewer with wonders of possibilities - whilst also hesitantly probing issues of belief, spiritualism and above all faith.

The special effects were exceptional for their time, although look a little underwhelming in 2016.

The cast is staggering. Multiple Academy Award winners, countless recognizable faces and names from blockbuster movies over countless decades.

This is a movie that inspires the possibility of hope and something more.

A beautiful movie that everyone should watch at least once.
on 20 August 2017
I watched this film when it first came out donkeys' years ago and don't remember any part of it, but thought that I would give it another go before it left Prime. I am so glad I did. It is a pretty long film (about 2.5 hours) but didn't seem it. I found it thought provoking and became engrossed in it, as you hope that we really are not alone in the universe. There are no 'little green men' to cheapen it, thankfully.

There is relatively little 'action' as such, but Jodie Foster managed to keep my interest. The bit that I felt let it down a little was the 'romance' involving Matthew McConaghy, though I generally like him as an actor. They didn't really gel and I felt that it was unnecessary to throw a romance into the mix - the better relationship was with David Morse as the father to the younger Ellie - a brief interlude - the same relationship to the older Ellie was more contrived and didn't quite work, age-wise.

But a really good film and worth watching, even if it does leave you with more questions than answers.
on 13 June 2017
a great tribute to Carl Sagan, i have watched this many times and never tire of it, the trivia facts included on amazon prime give an extra insight to the film you are watching and gives an added touch to knowing about the film, this has been around awhile but it is still worth watching, Carl Sagan was a legend and his name will always be remembered, a great guy and a great feel good film.
on 15 May 2017
thrilling and thought provoking.
Jody Foster's performance is brilliant, a convincing ambassador for earth, awed, humbled and heroic.
If you liked '2001 a space odyssey' you will love this.
on 18 July 2017
Beautiful, clever, special effects are not the hero but the acting and characters are the stars. Amazing camera work that you miss if you are not looking out for it. Genius.
Lovely pace and magnificent editing. Music is totally out there with a heart lifting score.
A movie that you never get tired of watching over and over. A real WB gem.
Leaves you with hope and wonder.
on 3 June 2017
I loved it and at well over two hours, it was a great way to spend an evening. The late John Hurt was fantastic with just the right amount of menace.
on 10 September 2017
Have always admired the approach to life and science that was Carl Sagan. He was my of my heroes growing up, great mind and probably a nice guy;)
I was not let down by the film. Two of my fav actors played the lead roles and the attention to details re the science element was a joy to see.
on 2 August 2017
Having owned this on DVD for years, I wasn't sure what to expect of the BluRay. However I'm very surprised by the transfer quality, paerticularly in some of the details during the excellent wormhole scene. Definitely worth a look if you're a fan.
on 3 June 2017
One of my favorite films of all time comes to blu-ray and what a treat it is, love it
on 27 March 2017
I always enjoyed this film and can watch it every Christmas and enjoy it. But my partner really doesn't like it. Normally we have a similar taste, but this divides us. I still make him watch it.