on 26 November 2008
This is the book version of the authors' 12-point presentation to demonstrate step-by-step that Christianity is true.

Reading this book as an atheist I found the first half of the book particularly hard going, where they attempt to demonstrate from first principles that God does exist. This is not because they tackle particularly difficult concepts, or because they write in a hard-to-understand way - they don't. Rather it's because the philosophical and scientific objections to their point of view are often dealt with in a rather patronising and smug way, sometimes missing the point of the objection. For example, a few scientific theories are described as "couterintuitive" or "against common sense", and therefore it takes more faith to believe them than Christianity. Unfortunately, as anyone who has ever studied Quantum Mechanics or Relativity knows, just because something is counterintuitive doesn't mean it's not accurate.

After about my fifth exaggerated reaction to something they had written (clasping my hand over my eyes, yelping out loud, etc), I thought to myself "this must be how it feels to be a Christian reading The God Delusion". The style of writing in The God Delusion can be patronising and smug at times, and simplifies theological objections to Dawkins' point of view. But just as I would highly recommend The God Delusion to anyone, and insist they force their way through the bits they don't like, I did the same with this book.

Once the authors have demonstrated to their own satisfaction that this is a monotheistic universe (and therefore Judaism, Christianity or Islam are the only religions that could possibly be correct) they then start to go through the bible and explain why they believe Christianity is true. At this point, I was very pleased that I'd managed to slog through the first half - because the second half was extremely engaging and made its point in a very accessible way.

The old testament and the new testament are both discussed, and their reliability assessed. The life of Jesus and whether he really was the son of God is also covered (in quite some detail), as well as the reliability of the Apostles and other witnesses. The whole second half of the book was a lot more convincing than the first half, and really gave me a much better understanding of Christianity (and Christians!).

Overall, I did find it frustrating to read - but rewarding. I would recommend to Christians, atheists, and those of non-Christian faiths as an insight into Christian beliefs. Will it convert anyone to Christianity? Possibly, but it didn't convert me.
I had hoped for something better from this book. In their introduction to "I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist", Norman Geisler and Frank Turek promise an objective and unbiased evidential demonstration of the veracity of the Christian faith. In it, they present a twelve step syllogistic argument to show beyond all reasonable doubt not only the existence of God, but also that the Bible is His one true word, together with proof of the fact of Christianity as the only true religion in the world.

The problem with any syllogistic argument, of course, is that it only needs one of the steps of logic along the way to be shown to be fallacious for the entire edifice to collapse. Sadly, Giesler and Turek make so many false steps that even half way through this book their argument is so completely discredited at their own hands that there is nothing they can do to salvage it in the mind of any clear thinking individual by the end.

Guisler and Turek's "logic" is a veritable testimony to the power of rhetoric over inductive reasoning. They rely heavily, for instance, on countless false dichotomies, refusing at all times to see the world as anything other than a series of true or false statements; everything that is not black must be white, or vice versa. There is no room in their universe for the beauty of paradox and the lessons to be learned there from. They demonstrate a stunning ignorance of the nature of mathematics, especially the mathematics of infinity, and are clearly unaware of the incompleteness theorems of Kurt Gödel and their implications. (Anyone interested in understanding these issues better may care to read Douglas Hofstadter's "Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" for an in-depth and rigorous explanation, or "The Science of Discworld" series ("Vol II: The Globe", "Vol III: Darwin's Watch") by Ian Stewart, Jack Cohen and Terry Pratchett for a more popular approach.) Guisler and Turek are also careful in their choice of the scientific "facts" which they present, using only those which support their case, whilst carefully eschewing any mention of those which do not. So, for instance, while their examination of the latest scientific thinking regarding the origins of the Universe is reasonably accurate, their dismissal of current evolutionary biology is pitifully naive and relies on nothing beyond 'argumentum ad ignorantiam' (maintaining a steadfast refusal to examine any actual scientific evidence) simply in order to maintain their (largely unnecessary) position of Man's supremacy in the biological order of things. (Anyone interested in just how far from reasonable their argument is here and how badly they misrepresent current scientific thinking as they set up their straw man of neo-Darwinism may wish to consult "What Is Life?" by Lynn Margulis & Dorion Sagan, "The Music of Life: Biology Beyond Genes" by Denis Noble or, once again, "The Science of Disc World III: Darwin's Watch".)

The section on Moral Law is equally flawed and descends to an almost child-like reliance on word-play to establish God as the sole moral law-giver of the Universe. (For an alternative view of moral law as a natural emergent property of complex systems, without the need of recourse to a just, creator God for its inception, readers may wish to read "Reinventing the Sacred" by Stuart A. Kauffman.)

Perhaps not surprisingly, the theological sections of the book are by far the strongest, although even here the authors demonstrate a singular ignorance of the actual teachings or practices of most other major belief systems and are just as selective in their choice of Biblical evidence (and coy about the existence of much of the evidence that contradicts their views) as in the earlier parts of the book.

By now, you probably have me branded as yet another of those atheist sceptics who refuses to see the wood of the obvious for the biased trees of my own preferences and prejudices. But you'd be wrong. I'm not sure whether this book disappointed me most in its ultimate message that the reader should consider Christianity as true simply because that is both the easiest and safest thing to do, or in its constant denigration of faith as an important cornerstone of religious belief. Far from providing me with any evidential basis for a belief in Christianity, a faith I currently practice, this book did nothing more than suggest to me that atheists are indeed worthy of rather more respect than they currently receive from many within the fundamental religious community. Furthermore, the authors' blatant disregard for any real honesty and open-mindedness in their approach discredits both them and Christianity in general. I found this book disappointing, depressing and dangerously damaging in the extreme.
1818 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 February 2014
Really good read, I was extremely skeptical, but lots of my questions have been answered by well thought out and evidenced arguments. It is written very simply and in a manner that's easy to read and follow, not at all preachy. I'm reading it as extra reading for degree to assist with critical thinking and not because I was particularly bothered by the subject matter. I now feel quite well informed on the subject and would feel confident in a debate. For people that already believe its a chance to get affirmation and some tips for answering questions you may face, for non believers, you may find some questions answered and possibly even be steered towards further investigations..
on 14 February 2013
This book was given to me by a young Earth Creationist in an attempt to stop me from going to hell (for not following his denomination) and honestly, you can tell with the very title what kind of a book it's going to be. "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist" demonstrates the general ignorance that this book posses. It's smugly takes that evolution could never have happened despite that fact only 16,000 species were saved on the Ark and yet we have many, MANY more species today....so how did they come about if not evolution? Yeah, if you have any knowledge of history, natural history, archaeology or simply a good dose of common sense, you will instantly be appalled by how the authors blatantly ignore these things in the books.

This book made me feel physically sick, not least because of the 'conversation' at the very end of the book between an atheist and a Christian. Their arguing of course and while the made up atheist presents good arguments, the Christian smugly parrots the same tired old religious arguments. It actually ends with the atheist pointing out their free to do what they like with regards to faith and the Christian agrees, but also say that despite how much god loves them, he's going to be forced to send them to hell. You can almost taste the sickly sweet sentiment in those last few words. Yes, their brilliant argument for worshiping the author's 'god' is that he will send you to hell if you don't. It doesn't matter (they stress this a lot) if your a good person who's tried to do their best for others, god couldn't care less about that. He would much rather you worshiped him even if your a murderer/rapist.

this book....I could barely read it, it was so incredibly biased, it was just beyond the pail. If it had been a lot less biased, focused on areas they actually know rather than subjects they are poorly equipped to discuss, then, maybe it wouldn't have been quite as awful. Only Christians will like this, fanatics will love the whole thing, normal Christians may enjoy the theological discussions but non Christians will HATE this and it's honestly not worth your bother reading.

I'm only glad that most Christians are not this ignorant or self righteous.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ian Hislop once wrote: "I've tried atheism and I can't stick at it: I keep having doubts. That probably sums up my position. [Ecclesiastical historian] Edward Norman once said [to me] ... 'You're in a long tradition of Anglican agnosticism'. If I'm a Don't Know, I'm a C of E Don't Know."

The title of this book made me recall Hislop's comment, and I hoped that it would perhaps be in a somewhat similarly lighthearted vein. Not a whit of it however; it takes quite a fundamentalist and absolutist position, and is full of fallacious reasoning and specious argument, for example trying to sneak in Intelligent Design under the guise of an Anthropic Principle.

Only one section of this book has any real validity, namely chapters 9 & 10 considering the New Testament and other early Christian writings. In an age where every ill-informed conspiracy theorist who has read a bit of Dan Brown becomes a self-appointed "expert" on the development of the Canon of the New Testament and Trinitarian theology, it's nice to see a counter to this, but there plenty of better written, more scholarly and sober books to read on such subjects.
on 12 January 2014
The authors work had to convince readers that their beliefs are correct and that they have the evidence to prove it. However, while I find this a very interesting book to read, I find their ideas flawed.

Reading this caused me to consider counter-arguments of my own, so it was useful in that respect.

In spite of my reservations, I would recommend this book because it will help readers to see what the arguments are, but I would suggest that they double-check all the apparent proofs for themselves.

If anyone is interested, I have written an article containing some counter-arguments, myself:

[...]
VINE VOICEon 18 February 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The book is well written and clearly tells you in each section what you will be reading about. Although I wouldn't say I found this an enjoyable or in some respect easy book to read, I do think it was worth while. Having been raised a Christian all my life I was familiar with the biblical references and the context of what they were talking about throughout the book, I don't know if this is the best book to read if you are an atheist and are exploring the idea of religion for the first time. Personally when I read it I felt it was more suited to an audience which was religious but perhaps wanted their faith reinforced or even to gain a deeper understanding of the bible. As the blur states it helps come up with evidence for your faith and reasons why god is real, and that is what it does.
As mentioned before the layout of the book was well organised and meant you could easily read a section and then continued with your day, I can't really compare it with other religious books I have read as this would be my first but I thought it was good and felt enlightening even if it did read a little like a self-help (of which I have read).
The reason I have only given it three stars is because its not a book I would read again in a hurry or perhaps ever, this is most likely a personable thing because although I am a big reader I tend to read fiction, and light-hearted fiction at that. This for me is perhaps something I would re-read snippets rather than the whole book again.
If you buy the book I hope you enjoy it and I would recommend it if you are religious or newly religious
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I turned to this book having read many books on popular science and looking for something to balance the debate. I'm not a scientist and I grew up with the Christian faith. I enjoy science but I'm often questioned as to why as a logical thinker, I can also hold a faith. I thought that this book might offer some ammunition, but I'm not wholly sure. Maybe I've read one book too many as a fan of the Discworld Science books.

Currently I'm also reading Prof. Brian Cox's entertaining book on quantum physics The Quantum Universe, a very readable, approachable book. The good news is that this is also very readable, written in a clear, concise style.
Apologetics should be concise defences of faith and this does do its best, but falls down in that it doesn't adequately deal with some of the higher scientific arguments.

Consequently it does read rather like a set of lecture notes at times, introductions, lots of exclamation marks for emphasis, and neat summaries of arguments at the end of each chapter.

The part of the book I enjoyed more was the evidence of a historical Jesus. Here the writers are on far more solid ground - to deny the existence of Jesus of Nazareth after reading this you would need to dismiss an enormous amount of material.
Worth a read, but as it was written some years ago the arguments against current scientific theories are increasingly dated.
on 18 May 2014
A great book and a really logical way of understanding the broader question of what Science answers and how God is part of the solution. It also addresses the issue of people's personal will - and the fact that people believe what they want to believe and disrigard the rest (true for both sides)
on 6 July 2014
This is one of my favourite books. One of the best books that explains some of the best arguments for the truth of Christianity. Written in a down to earth way but covering lots of subjects it should keep the interest of those who are already Christians and those seeking to know more about Christianity!