Customer reviews

Outsiders The Cd
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 March 2011
If you like mumford and sons/switchfoot kind of music but with a christian message... then this is the album of you!
I'm a 22year old lass from england, and I thoroughly enjoy this album! I'm trying not to over listen to it though... but it's hard to refrain myself!
It's just so refreshing to get a GOOD christian band... which your mates wouldnt mind listening to either! I do like Hillsongs, Chris Tomlin etc. but it's nice to have an easy going (but fun) album too!
Check it out on spotify (or itunes store has samples to listen to) if you want to preview it :)

2 words: BUY IT.
on 14 January 2010
found this band off itunes pretty much through luck a while back and after buying one or two of the songs i bought their first two albums and every single song was brilliant , when this came out last year i bought it as soon as i could and even though i expected it to be ok i never thought it would be as good as the first two albums but as soon as i heard the first song or two i could ttell how good it was and i love this album as much as the first two
highly recommended :D
on 5 September 2009
Needtobreathes third album is generally a little less rock, a bit more country than its predecessors. Possibly there are fewer standout songs than on the first two outings but the vocals have found another gear, lifting otherwise fairly ordinary choruses (i.e. Through Smoke) to the extraordinary.
There are at least 2 fabulous songs though; the title track and, for me, Stones Under Rushing Water. The latter song is a first for the band; a collaboration (with Sara Watkins from Nickel Creek) and an out and out country ballad. Very simple but effective lyrics, beautiful vocals and a killer hook. There are a couple of swamp rockers in The Prisoner and Girl from Tennessee which I could have lived without, but all the rest are solid Needtobreathe. Anthemic, instantly accessible and superbly arranged. You won't be alarmed, troubled or challenged by this music, but you may be moved nonetheless.

It does seem criminal that this band is not huge in America, let alone in the UK, but I guess they are suffering from the Christian Rock label. Whilst being a Christian band (at least in the States) is no doubt a useful passport to (modest) success for many otherwise mediocre outfits, it is a major handicap for this band and unfortunately they may never escape the happy clappy ghetto. Lets face it, appearing in 'My Favourite Christian Rock Albums' on Amazon is not very rock'n'roll is it ? The irony here is that Needtobreathe really don't wear their religion on their sleeves, apart from a general lyrical tendency towards optimism and thanking God Almighty in the sleevenotes. And not swearing. They are really no more a Christian act than Madonna is a Kabbalah act.

Despite the pigeon holing, Needtobreathe have rapidly become my favourite band. Across the first two albums were sufficient songs to populate two Greatest Hits albums by any other band (6 star albums if such a thing were allowed) and this was truly their chance to screw up. They haven't.
on 20 September 2010
I absolutely love this album. There isn't a track on it that I don't like.

Buyers should note that the tracks on the album are of various differing music styles (which is no bad thing).

I particularly appreciated having the digital booklet and wish that more mp3 download albums would do the same.
on 12 January 2015
This CD was ordered as a gift for a friend because I think it's just plain awesome music. It is outstanding southern rock with a strong gospel infulence. It's really unfair to just classify it with the "southern rock" label because NEEDTOBREATHE have created a unique and distinct signature, string/rhythm sound. Also the comparison of lead singer, Bear Rinehart to Joe Cocker is far too simple a try at explaining the depth of the vocal skills and listenability of Bear. This is a highly refined, tight and above all timeless group that transcends convention. I recently attended a NEEDTOBREATHE concert at Bush Hall in London and observed a good mix of ages, races and gender. Everyone enjoyed the concert immensely! I say all that to say this; NEEDTOBREATHE is my favorite group of the last 10 years and Outsiders (in a tie with Rivers in the Wasteland) is my favorite album.
on 16 February 2010
It really is a top notch album. I'm not a music critic so won't go into great depths, but some of the songs (What You've Done To Me & Hurricane spring to mind) are quality. I've not heard a lot of the previous two albums, only bits here and there but this album on it's own just about hits the 5*. I wasn't sure whether to get the album itself or just listen to it now and then on Spotify, but I'm glad I bought it now. If you're not sure whether to purchase or not then I certainly recommend it.
on 13 June 2014
This is full of good lyrical indie rock. The quality of the vocals is great and do not grate as other more distinctive singers can. The playing seems pretty good. Most importantly it comes over as good, easy listening music without the cringe factor associated with other evangelical stuff. Fits in well with REM, Coldplay and Radiohead.
on 20 August 2014
As my other review said - as I ended up buying two of their other albums - great album, great band!

Their music seems to keep finding its way onto my playlist whether driving, running or just chilling.
on 26 December 2011
If you like any of the other Needtobreathe albums (particularly recommend the Reckoning) you will love this. I only discovered them recently and thank goodness, gifted and talented group
on 31 December 2012
One of my favourite albums by these, fantastic band with amazing talent ! Every song is just brilliant! What I wouldn't give to see these guys live- along with Shinedown!