Customer reviews

Wouldn't recommend it.
on 17 October 2017
Good Film
on 30 April 2010
I hated the frustration, the defeat, the cruelty, the hopelessness and the sheer anger I felt towards the cruel father and all those who never lifted at hand to stop him. I will never watch it again, yet I think it is a so called good movie and well worth watching for those who can stomach it and needs a lesson in when not to shut your eyes and when to put your foot down to what is happening in your neighborhood or your own family.

William Dafoe is hauntingly believable as the eccentric, sadistic poor wreck of a man, and you want to smack Julia Roberts for being to slow to move as the mother who should have said stop much earlier in her life, like most mothers of that age. The abused son is characterized very well both in child and adult life.

I might have given the film more stars, and I might have given it less stars, all in all I hated the way the film made me feel, during and after, and if that is what I was meant to feel, the director of the movie got that right - The evening was ruined and the feeling of it hung over the next day also, so if you have a soft heart avoid this movie.

Personally I feel there ought to be just an ounce of happiness or a light in the dark just somewhere, if you have to swallow both physical and emotional abuse.
on 6 August 2010
Julia Roberts plays the mother of Ryan Reynolds, there is almost literally 9 (Nine) years difference between the real ages of these 2 actors, this would not be so bad, but for the fact that they make no effort to make Julia Roberts look any older than she is either, very poor from the makers of this film.

Julia Roberts should never have taken this role either she's hardly in the film, likewise Carrie Anne-Moss and Emily Watson, to say nothing of Ioan 'One scene' Grufford, so there's lots of talent wasted here.

It's a pretty good film, but after viewing it did no make me think I'm really pleased I bought that film, it'll be fine to watch a few times maybe, but that may be it.

6 out of 10.
on 26 September 2009
Unlike the previous reviewer I thoroughly rate this film. Ok, it may not be to everyone's taste, but it's not your typical Hollywood kind of film either - there are already plenty of those. Instead, it follows the life of a boy called Michael. On the death of his mother, the grown up characters ensemble and much is Michael's terrible and difficult childhood is slowly revealed.

I liked the film because it's real. Some people don't like films that are real, but I do. Things like what are shown in the film happen, and while they don't happen to everyone, they happen to many. It's a film that lifts the lid on a difficult subject but one that is real nevertheless. It can help more people understand the suffering involved of those who have grown up terrified and abused, and help the cruelty and after effects be understood.

For viewers who like films that are off the beaten track, and have a clever plot that doesn't feel like a Hollywood script, you'll get a lot out of this film. Particularly if you can relate to the content. It has a bitter-sweet storyline which also offers hope with a gritty realism to show that even with the worst of backgrounds, slowly things can change - if people are willing. Highly recommended, but not for the feint-hearted.
on 30 January 2012
a very well acted and enjoyable movie.not a fantastic blockbuster, but good for chilling out with, or doing the ironing.an afternoon under the duvet type of film.
on 3 August 2014
I was very disappointed with this film, especially as it had some good reviews. I found it exceedingly boring, and I can't believe that many families would behave in this way. It was not very credible and even though I knew the storyline it was a full hour before I understood what was going on between the child/adult of the lead actor.
Don't waste your money.
on 2 October 2009
I loved this film! I agree with the previous review, its a film about life and how life is.Not every film is made to make us laugh so I don't really understand the first reviewers comments? Its a sad and tragic story, but extremely watchable, and I didn't feel depressed after watching it.
on 26 January 2011
At his mother's (Julia Roberts) funeral, her son (Ryan Reynolds) must confront the ghosts of the past that have prevented him from growing into a healthy and complete human being, namely the sadistic tyranny of his thuggish father (Willem Dafoe). The irony is that both are broken men, the son as emotionally cracked as the father. Written and directed by Chinese-American film maker Dennis Lee, the film delicately weaves the present day with the past until it becomes apparent that yet a third generation may be tainted by the sins of the father(s). To the film's credit, there is no catharsis. At the end, everything isn't tied up in a neat little ribbon. The scars are still there and they're not healed but maybe, just maybe, a truce. The film's biggest handicap is the bland Ryan Reynolds who is simply not a strong enough actor to handle the complexities of the part. In his scenes with Dafoe (if the film belongs to anyone, it's Dafoe), Reynolds recedes. Strangely enough, the film shys away from addressing the mother's possible complicity in the child's (Cayden Boyd as the young Reynolds) destruction by standing by and allowing it to happen. With Emily Watson (wonderful as always as Roberts' sister), Hayden Panettiere as the young Watson, Ioan Gruffudd and Carrie-Anne Moss.

The British import (not yet available in the U.S.) courtesy of IndiVision is a solid wide screen (1.78) transfer.
on 8 September 2012
I have wanted to see this film for ages and when I finally found somewhere that sold it I was over the moon, but I then read the reviews and was slightly put off paying for it, But I took the risk and brought it as it was incredibly cheep.

And I am so glad I did! I love it! It is a beautiful and emotional film, there are many well known actors and actresses and they all acted amazing! The one down side you will need many tissues! I cried my eyes out.

Very Very Very Good film I say 10/10 as I have only owned it for 2 days and have watched it 4 times already. & I hope that you will also enjoy this film as much as me.