Customer reviews

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 2 July 2009
I'm looking at a picture of Hypnotic I took in June, 2005 near the Art Institute of Chicago on South Michigan Avenue. They are belting their tunes out in 90 degrees heat with their trouser legs rolled up and wet towels on their heads. I bought two of their home produced CDs on the street for ten dollars that day and played them constantly during my time in the city. When I got back to the UK I just wanted to share that sound with everyone because it seemed so unique. When I saw them on Later with Jools Holland in May, 2009 I was excited for myself and for them. This CD delivered everything I wanted it to, although I was slightly disappointed that the tracks 'Birthday' and 'Frankincense', which were the ones in their street set that caused me to stop and listen in the first place, were not included. However, 'Ballicki Bone' and 'Party Started' go a long way to make up for those losses.The production values are high on the CD, the re-worked tunes buff in their ensemble complexities. There are one or two tracks I could've done without -'Rabbit Hop',for example, which reminded me of some old style, up-North miners' brass band from the 70s - but you probably don't get everything you like every time in an original sound. I'll settle happily for ninety percent.
on 21 September 2010
I purchased this album after watching a performance of "War" on Jools Holland. It was worth every penny. Every listen I discover something new in every track which just makes me love it more and more. A modern twist on Jazz. HIGHLY Recommended!
on 6 October 2011
Excellent Album. I can't stop playing it. I heard them live in Galway in recent months after never having heard of them. I have to say the album is just as good as seeing them live. I would recommend it to everyone!
on 8 September 2010
There's no doubt that they're unique, special and talented, but for me it cant be 5 stars because the production's just boring. Horns should never be recorded to a computer (digital) because you lose the top harmomics, always onto a nice fat tape (analogue) and the drums are sooo flat. I heard the band on Jools Holland and the drums were nice and juicy, but they clearly did the drums with a million microphones in a small, dead room, digital. This release should have been a free-for all sounding, energetic party, but the conservative recording techniques just restrained the feel and killed the vibe.
on 23 January 2012
I ordered this the day after seeing them perform live at the Hare & Hounds in Birmingham. They were phenomenal to watch and such great, friendly, unassuming guys. Listening to this was just like being back at the gig...great memories.And some nice notes in the sleeve giving a nice insight into the inspiration for the various songs. A quality act and album.
on 13 July 2009
Saw this band when they were supporting Blur in Hyde Park (July 09). At first I was scepticle but after the first song I was hooked. In fact I enjoyed them more than Blur. They are totally unique and have something really special about them. I hope they go far. Highly recommended for that something different and feel good factor.
on 8 September 2009
I just saw these guys play at Electric Picnic. They were incredible. I can't rate these guys highly enough. The energy and enthusiasm they have is infectious, and this album certainly does them justice.
on 11 August 2014