Customer reviews

The Chronicle Of The Black Sword
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 March 2015
Oh my goodness - I still love it. (A re-buy to replace long-gone vinyl.)

I saw someone say Choose your Masques was the last essential album. Chronicle came after and I say this is an essential album, from any perspective. An essential rock enthusiast album, never mind just an essential HW album.

There's just so many aspects about this CD that are right. The concept. The guitars. The tracks. Track nine, 'Sleep of a Thousand Years'. Excellent and may be the pinnacle of the album. Those guitars in the second half of it rock. A good place to peak, especially considering the finale, Horn of Destiny.

The whole album is great. Track three, Sea King is a little dreary, but forgivable, and it does give the rest of the album a platform.
on 3 July 2009
I was really disappointed by this album when it came out, and cringed through most of the gig on the Black Sword tour (de Montfort Hall '85).

I think they tried a bit too hard personally. I love the Elric books and other Moorcock eternal champion books, and they really didn't do the work justice on this album. Instead of the sci-fi menace of "Choose Your Masques" it comes over more as 6th Form Am-Dram, especially when played live. BoC did *much* better with their "Black Sword" track, the Hawks don't come close to that level on this album for me.

On the positive side, the remastered sound is superb, much better than I remember it from vinyl (I sold my copy 20 years back along with Xenon Codex. I only hung on to my Needle Gun/Arioch 12" Single.)

The addition of the Needle Gun b-Side "Arioch" and the "Earth Ritual EP" is what convinced me to buy it again. I like "Night Of The Hawks" and this is probably the only way it'll be on CD.

The fact that it's an Atomhenge release helps too: I'm seriously impressed with their work to date, and look forward eagerly to Church of Hawkwind, Choose Your Masques and Sonic Attack being released soon.
15 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 24 July 2009
Being a fan of Hawkwind has similarities with being a fan of Doctor Who; we all have a favourite Doctor (Troughton thanks for asking) and we all have a line-up (or two) as our favourite set of Hawks. For me, this matches that mid-80s period where I get into Hawkwind first from a few gigs then this album mixing in as it does the Elric stories of Michael Moorcock.

Musically I would argue this has a lot to recommend it, Huw still back and penning a lot of the material; Alan new on bass contributing well; Harvey moved to keyboard doing his best Jean Michel Jarre; and, of course the captain.

To my ear, other influences include ZZ Top (mostly on Needlegun) and although preposterous in places I think some of the material is excellent - Zarozinia, Song of the Swords, Shade Gate and the climactic Horn of Destiny. Live it got better with Moonglum and Dragon and Fable of which I version is included in the decent extras including another personal favourite - Night of the Hawks.

Yes I'm biased, but if you can spot any of yourself in the above, give this excellent Atomhenge release a try!
7 people found this helpful
on 13 March 2013
This is a great album from 1985 and this CD version here is the Flicknife one with the original 'Needle Gun' and 'Zarazonia' single B-sides as bonus tracks. Obviously Hawkwind were restricted by LP length [much shorter than today's CD running times] so great songs like 'Moonglum' and 'Dreaming City' don't appear here but as I review on actual content rather than wanted content I cannot take a star off. This is a concept album about Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone (though 'Needle Gun' does seem to reference the Jerry Cornelius novels) and as such the songs are pretty structured and lyrically sharp. Furthermore this is one of the best ever Hawkwind lineups with twin guitar attack featuring the late great Huw Lloyd-Langton at the height of his powers. 'Song of the Swords' gets proceedings off to a cracking start and the rest maintain that high standard. 'Chronicle of the Black Sword' stands up to repeated playing rather than 'let's give it a spin and see where they're at now' mindset engendered by the last 3 Hawkwind studio albums...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 August 2009
The early 80's for hawkwind were a trying time apart from the outstanding ' Levitation' the other studio albums were patchy,all worth buying of course!! but the glory days of the 70's seemed a distant memory.Typically hawkwind bounced back and tried the near impossible task of applying michael moorcocks work to music and thus born was this disc.Opening track song of the swords is an excellent opener but it could easily have been off 'sonic attack' or 'choose your masques',best track is certainly needle gun, as for the rest of the original album it a mixture of prog/instrumentals and rock,nothing earth shattering just competently played music( and remember half decent 'wind is far better than most).Like most atomhenge releases this comes with extras and damn fine they are, the b'side arioch is a decent track and worthy of it place but the last 4 tracks are long overdue and very welcome ,originally the earth ritual ep they contain i believe two underated tracks namely green finned demon & dragons and fables,so hats of again to atomhenge on a worthy release and a great reissue campaign in general
on 8 June 2017
Great sounds from the Hawks !
on 12 March 2013
Not the biggest fan of Hawkwind, but do like some of their stuff. The Chronicle of the Black Sword is a truly a good album.
Got the download to replace an old cassette tape that got chewed up. Like the extra tracks on this version of it.
on 17 August 2015
excellent
on 1 April 2013
i have always loved this album. i can remember doing mushrooms when i was a teenager and demanding we listen to Zarozinia over and over for about 4 hrs, then fouling myself but not going to get cleaned up until i had finished the album.
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 7 April 2010
This is one of HAWKWIND'S classic albums,brilliant, opens with song of the swords then shade gate, the sea king, the pulsing cavern, elric the enchanter,the awesome NEEDLE GUN,fantastic track.Then there's zarozinia,the demise, sleep of a thousand tears,chaos army,horn of destiny.Then the bonus tracks arioch,night of the hawks, green finned demon, dream dancers and dragons and fables. THIS IS AN AWESOME ALBUM FROM START TO FINISH A MUST HAVE FOR EVERY HAWKWIND FAN!!!!!!!!! GIVE YOURSELF A REAL TREAT BUY IT NOW!!!!WHAT MORE CAN I SAY???? GET IT NOW.THIS HAS GOT TO BE ONE OF THE BEST ALBUMS EVER RECORDED AT THE LEGENDARY ROCKFIELD STUDIOS!!!!
2 people found this helpful