Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 20 June 2016
Great CD from a great band. Needed a replacement copy as my last copy is no longer playable due to over use :). Highly recommend a copy of Performance and Cocktails and if you get the chance go see Stereophonics in concert... I can guarantee they will blow you away without a shadow of a doubt. Now to replace the rest of my over played Stereophonics collection :)
on 4 October 2000
This quite truly is a fantastic cd; if you thought "Word Gets Around" was good then this will blow you away. It starts off with the lively and pacey "Roll up and Shine" which is an example of the group trying a bit too hard to be heavy rockers when Kelly Jones's vocals are far more suited to tracks like " Is Yesterday, Tomorrow, Today" and "A Minute Longer". The album is filled with fantastic tracks which with exception of just a couple especially the aforementioned "Roll up and Shine" could all have been released as single and all would have made the top twenty at least. Once again the Stereophonics have put their most famous and in my opinion best singles all together just as they did in their fantastic debut album "Word Gets Around" but don't worry as like me on hearing the album for the first time you look at the inlay and look slightly bewildered after track seven "I Wouldn't Believe Your Radio" and realise that you haven't heard of any of them; because you will be amazed at the quality not only of the songs but of Kelly's fantastic voice. The best songs from that point on are the slow and soothing "A Minute Longer" and the quick, loud and funny "T-Shirt Sun Tan" Overall this is one of the best albums of the decade and should have beaten Travis easily to the Best album at the last Brit Awards. The singles to look out for on this cd are "Hurry up and Wait", "Pick a Part That's New", "A Minute Longer" and the increadible "Just Looking" which is tihs albums answer to "Traffic" from "Word Gets Around"I would strongly advise any indie music fan to buy this. Despite the limited variation in music due to there only being three members in the group compared to that of Radiohead the tunes are catchy and the vocals impeccable.
on 11 January 2002
Stereophonics have yet to disappoint me, and I hope it stays that way. I'm only 14, so more "mature" 'phonics fans may find me a tad patronising! Anyway. "Performance and Cocktails" is that sort of rare album in that the more one listens to it, the MORE one enjoys it and soon finds oneslef picking out particular snippets of songs that are simply great and looking forward to them every time you listen."The Bartender and the Thief" is a classic, and at the minute I am trying to get guitar tabs for it. "Hurry up and Wait" and "Just Looking" are even more seldomly frequented as anything less than geniously written and passionately played,and if you haven't yet been to a gig, these songs with galvinise you as a Stereophonics fan. T-Shirt Suntan and Plastic California are a little less heart-felt but are a healthily cynical speculation on less mundane events and individuals. Finally, "Stopped to fill my car up" is wonderfully worded and is a relaxing song that raises one to a level of complete satisfaction after previously rocking along to "The Bartender and the Thief" earlier on!

That's my review, and I hope I have broadcasted this wonderful album accordingly, if not to everybody, then at least to those of my age group.
Thank you.
on 12 March 2002
An album to cheer me up from the dullest of days, Performance and Cocktails never fails to please me.
'The Bartender & The Thief' is the most surprising piece of heavy metal i've heard, with ridiculous lyrics about "robbing the graves of bodies dismembered" and a punching guitar, it starts quick and finishes just as you begin to enjoy it - a classic.
The mellower sound of 'Hurry Up And Wait' might be repetitive but the quick paced lyrics make up for this.
'Pick A Part That's New' is my favourite track on the album: it's bright, cheery and has the most amazing guitar riff and is one of those great songs that can be heard again and again without becoming boring.
'Just Looking' is beautiful, 'Half of The Lies' is rocking, 'I Wouldn't Believe...' is a classic sing-along track, 'A Minute Longer' is full of longing and desire with, probably, Kelly's best vocal performance on the album.
As the album draws to a close, the songs don't disappoint and even the slow 'I Stopped To Fill My Car Up' doesn't ruin an amazing album.
If I had to chose my top ten albums today, this would definitely be there.
on 31 December 2013
Of the many indie bands that sprang up in the 90s, the Stereophonics were certainly one of the most consistent. The singles (especially the classic 'Just Looking') make it worth buying on their own and the overall standard is pretty good with Kelly Jones distinctive rasping vocals and guitar work a real treat. Great to see that these Welsh rockers are still going strong 20 years on.
on 7 August 2006
My first Stereophonics album when i was about 14. Because of this i will always owe alot to this record but it is hard to pick a favourite because of listening to them all so much. The first track, 'Roll up and Shine' Is made up of a great riff and a very drag style (even by Kelly's standards). What i love about this album is when i am listening to it i feel the guys have enjoyed recording it and every song manages to sound natural and footloose aswell as being worked upon and perfected. 'Just Looking' will live on as a classic and 'I Stopped to Fill My Car Up' is still one of the most interesting and uplifting songs i have ever heard. A crucial part of my stereophonics collection.
on 31 July 2000
From start to finish this album is nothing but sheer brilliance that could only come from the 'phonics. 'Roll Up And Shine' - words can't describe. The first time I ever really heard of the 'phonics was when 'Just Looking' was released - it was the track that turned me into a fan and it still remains my favourite, the lyrics, the guitars and Kelly's voice all melt together to form a masterpiece that will soothe and move you. 'T-Shirt Sun Tan' is one of my summer anthems, 'She Takes Her Clothes Off' is good to sing along to and 'Plastic California' is a quietly confident rocker which is great to chill to but it soon builds up and you'll be roaring along with Kelly by the end of it! 'I Stopped To Fill My Car Up' is haunting and gives the album the ending it deserves - by the end of it's final notes you will be in awe of the utter brilliance of this album. I can't wait for the next one!
on 1 April 2013
In the process of replacing albums that have either walked out of my house on their own or not returned when lent out, or when they were returned they weren't in the best of condition. Been buying second hand albums and so far I've been really pleased with what I've bought. No complaints. Wouldn't have replaced them if I had to pay full price so I'm very happy that Amazon has given me the opportunity to do this.
on 18 July 2016
I bought this on a whim for cheap after discussing British Pop music with a friend. Not my cup of tea. Not the style of music I like (too noisy), but the recording quality was good and if this is your thing, I'd go for it.
on 26 November 2015
Kelly Jones is a talented songwriter and musician. The problem is that, although I really like his songs, I just don't like his voice. Whether the problem is the gravelly sound (like Rod Stewart) or the overly-laboured pronunciation of certain words (like Liam Gallagher), or maybe a combination of both, I'm not entirely sure. I just know that I can only listen to about half of this album before having to play something else. That said, I am determined to persevere, because I used to feel similarly irritated by Bob Dylan's voice, but I eventually got used to it. So maybe there's hope for Kelly too; I really hope so because most of the songs are well worth listening to. So I've rated this 4 stars in the expectation that Kelly's voice will grow on me in time...

One final positive is the album cover - love the style and imagery.