TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 August 2009
I bought one of these to allow me to take low level, wide angle landscape shots. To use it on a Nikon D300 you need to slide off the D300's rubber eyepiece (pretty easy) then slide on the angle viewfinder. It comes with several different adapters to suit various cameras. They are all rather flimsy looking plastic mouldings, and frighteningly easy to lose, but I think tough enough not to snap easily. It attaches usably, but it is far from the firm attachment you might get with a metal clip. Once on the camera, you have a choice of two magnifications. One is 1x and the other is a magnified 2x. The annoying thing is that when switching magnifications, you need to re-focus the eyepiece. This makes it a little tedious, as you may want to use 1x to frame the shot them 2x to accurately focus manually (e.g. for macro work). Visibility through the eyepiece is bright and clear, but best in the central portion (which is what you need, to be honest). The eyepiece can be rotated through 360 degrees, so you can view from any angle, and the image is magically always the right way up. Construction is surprisingly sturdy. It is made from metal and plastic and contains real glass elements. It is screwed rather than glued, and the finish is to a comparatively good standard. This is not junk by any means. It does offer very good value for the money you're paying. The Nikon unit is very considerably more expensive - about 3-4x more. Cleaning the glass in the eyepiece and at the camera end is a little fiddly, but can be done, and there are no expensive coatings to worry about. If you plan to use it occasionally to get the odd interesting shot, I'm sure you will find it a useful accessory. If you want something you can use on a daily basis, then I believe you will be better off getting the Nikon unit. Note that I have only used this on a (DX) Nikon D300. I have no idea whether it would suit the larger FX viewfinder on a (FX) D700 or D3.
on 1 February 2010
i found this angle finder very useful as i take macro shots low down so no twisting your neck use mine on 450d the adaptors are a bit flimsy have to watch dont snap the retaining clips overall exelent piece of gear well made exelent optics recommended purchase
on 30 April 2010
Bought this as just started to get into macro work.It`s a particular bonus if your DSLR does not have live view as this product also has a switchable magnification of 1x or 2x,aiding focusing,especially when working with the shallow depth of field in macro mode.
The unit itself feels quite sturdy,especially giving the price.The viewfinder adapter that fits onto the camera eyepice is quite a tight fit on my Nikon,but not overly so.There is some looseness where the angle finder attaches to the adapter,but not excessive.A minor price to pay,giving the cost of a genuine Nikon product.
Overall,very satisfied with the item.
VINE VOICEon 14 July 2010
I ordered this the other day and it came almost before the ink was dry on the address label I think! The actual item seems to work okay so far, no I will be fair and say its BRILLIANT! - and praise for the fact you get a collection of assorted adaptors, in their own marked little bags with the models that it fits plus a small bellows duster for cleaning it with - thoughtful or what?! - and rounded off with a neat little bag to keep it in. The construction is moulded plastic - what aint these days? - with metal parts where neeeded and it strikes me that it's well put together and it "does what it sez on the box" as they say - plus in my case, I save over a £100 plus by not buying the Canon model because I feel the Canon one is over-priced and would not be surprised to learn its made/assembled not far from where this one hails from!

Had this been about in my 35mm film days I would have brought one then! - there used to be a company called Polysales years ago that did these small 'bits and bob's' for cameras in the late '60's and 70's' as I brought quite a bit from them then but they seem sadly to have gone now - but this product seems such good value for money and above all else, it WORKS! - yes, it works! - perhaps the camera snobs won't want it because it doesn't have the 'right' logo on it, but then again its this bunch of folk that hardly know their 'F' stop from their door stop that get all screwed up!

Final word, just BUY IT! - if you know what it does, why YOU want it, then just BUY it - you won't be disappointed, just ignore the the logo buyers...
on 19 May 2012
I was looking for a right angle adaptor suitable for a D7000 and decided on the Seagull product, I was a little nervous about the low price and was expecting a low quality product. However when the product arrived I was pleasantly surprised to find that the quality was very high both optically and mechanically.

The product comes with adaptors to fit different camera bodies, the Nikon adaptor was a little loose and found that the Canon adaptor was much better - maybe the bags they came in were labelled incorrectly.

The dioptre adjustment is huge and will suit most people who want to use the product without their glasses - much better than the dioptre adjustment on the camera.

The product is designed to make it easy to view images when the camera is mounted on a tripod (I think) but I have found it is great for shooting when you want a low point of view - the alternative would be to get down on the ground!
on 16 September 2011
I bought this item as an alternative to the very expensive Canon Unit - it is reasinably well made but I would describe build quality as mediocre - fine for occasional use but if you do a lot of low level work I suggest you get the Canon.
on 28 December 2012
It works well but if you go to maximum magnification, you can't see all of the scene. I use it principally for low down shots when I can't lie on the ground, and for those times it's perfect and works fine. Excellent piece of kit.
on 16 December 2014
The Right Angle Finder arrived well wrapped and in good condition. On opening the box, along with the unit, was also a small bag and a blower brush, which is useful in removing dust, especially from the front. The unit also contains adaptors which fit several different makes (and types) of camera, all well identified in small plastic bags, however, these adaptors appear fragile and care must be used when putting these on the finder and onto your camera. The finder appeared optically ok, except for a little curvature in the edge of the field of view, and the 1x to 2x switch worked well. Focusing onto the Fresnel screen in the camera was achieved by turning the thumb-screw barrel below the eyepiece and was smooth and firm. Considering the price I had a very good buy. I will be using this on my camera on my telescopes, to help me when the telescope is in an awkward position. The only problem was the instructions, which, had many spelling and grammatical errors. But I am very happy with the purchase.
on 6 February 2012
this item is certainly useful if shooting low-level pictures, e.g. a mushroom in the open. Looking through it the centre is sharper than the sides; could this be due to my specs? The eyepiece can be focused by turning the barrel, but if you use manual focusing on your camera lens (as I do in macro) it is impossible to tell which is out-of-focus. I have resorted to fixing the eyepiece to a mark. And, as others have said, it feels flimsy but works fine. Doesn't quite give the feel of a quality item compared to the camera its attached to, and i think its a little over-priced for what it is.
on 14 April 2014
I can't bend very easily and as my current camera does not have a swing out viewer I needed something to emulate the old cameras where you looked down onto the top of the camera. This works brilliantly. I am very pleased with it.