Colour Name: Natural|Item Package Quantity: 1|Change

on 14 December 2010
I really like this desk tidy! I bought one for my eldest son who is almost 50 and 'has everything' but not this. He was thrilled to bits with it! Said he will have to 'super glue it to the desk' because so many at work have jealously made fun of it - but that's just what one would expect. Apparently, they are all wanting to know where he bought it! But he lives in the States and I have not seen anything like this on US websites. Now my other son also has one, and another two friends overseas. They are all really delighted with the style and funky look, and the solid structure which does not tip over when you use it. Wish I could buy more things like this to send to my family and friends...they all say it reminds them of when they were young, and in school! (A long time ago! Good memories remain!)
on 21 November 2012
Four things to say about this item.
1) It's fun and draws a smile from people when they see it.
2) The one I received had a very uneven base and it rocked alarmingly when placed on a flat surface.
I didn't consider it worthwhile returning it for this reason so did some DIY with a rasp and sandpaper and got it even enough to stand practically flat.
3) The wood is completely untreated and very pale, unlike the picture which makes it look honey coloured as though it's been lightly stained or varnished.
This isn't a defect and doesn't affect the item's purpose but it did make me wonder if they came in different colours and I'd been sent the wrong one.
4) The 'well' where the pens go is tapered and is almost the same shape as a plastic cup from a water dispenser. (The base of the well is about half the width of the opening.)
Again, it isn't a defect but it's not apparent from the picture and it does mean it won't hold as many pens as you might expect.
on 13 January 2010
Sharpener Desk Tidy
Beautiful juxtaposition of materials - bright shiny metal and natural wood. Always something very appealing about everyday object produced at `giant' scale. Well-crafted - fine (and practical) addition to our design consultancy's conference room table.
on 13 October 2010
Great, high quality item. It really is an oversized pencil sharpener! Good quality wood, with great attention to detail (the large screw on the imitation blade, and the ridges carved in the sides where you hold the 'life size' model). The diameter of the pen pot hole is 3". Plenty of depth/room to house scissors, pens, pencils, ruler, felt tips. Prompt delivery and well packaged.
This is the best pen holder I have ever had. It is big enough to take lots of pens and pencils. It is made from a solid block of wood. This makes it really heavy, so it won't topple over even when you pull out a pen in a hurry. The metal sharper blade is perfectly safe (not sharp at all) and is made from a nice thick bit of metal (as is the screw head). It does get a bit smeared with handling, as you'd expect, but it wipes clean with a tissue so no problem there. The wood has been varnished (or maybe oil-treated) which gives it a subtle shine, and also makes it wipe-clean.

Its design is so distinctive that it is often picked up and remarked upon by visitors to my office. As a writer and artist myself, it fits perfectly into my world. The one I received is of slightly lighter wood than the one in the product photograph, but is still a nice warm shade.

So what we have is a surprisingly practical desk tidy. It looks fun, is made of very nice materials (it's not a nasty plastic thing), there is nothing to snap off or break, and it is so solid it will surely never need replacing.
on 28 November 2012
Solid block of wood gives this a really weighty, quality feel. No way is this ever going to break. Much more attractive than the normal plastic alternatives, this belongs on all desks.

Only downside for me is that the smaller of the two spaces is a little smaller than I expected. Really is just for paperclips and so on, can't even get a staple remover in it.
on 24 October 2010
Perfect. Well i mean its a pencil holder so you can't really go wrong with it, it's not just going to stop working so it definately does what itt says of the tin - or rather the pretty cool packaging it comes in. I think its awesome, its very well made, very realistic and looks damn good on my table. It's genius.
on 13 July 2011
I bought a couple of these as stand-by gifts for all those difficult-to-buy-for men in my life. I'm very pleased with the quality,there's a really 'solid' feel to them. I think my brothers etc will like them - they've got to be better than socks or aftershave anyway!
on 18 May 2011
It does what it says on the tin - hold things and looks like a big sharpener. The capacity is roughly the same as one of those plastic cups from the water cooler.
on 2 August 2013
I bought this because I needed a penpot in the kitchen & I liked the single one so much.
I thought (although I had no real basis for this) that the deeper hole for putting pens in would be the same size as the one in the single version, with a much shallower second hole suitable for a sharpener & a rubber. (larger hole is approx 6cm wide at top but tapers to about 3cm, the shallower hole is about 4cm deep & has approx 4cm diameter)
You can fit about 6-10 biros or pencils (depending how fat they are) in the pen side comfortably, after that it gets difficult because the hole is tapered so it's much smaller at the bottom that the top.
I'm keeping it, but if you can't decide which one to go for, I'd pick the single hole one - it holds more pens.
The product is very well made, nice & sturdy & definitely eye catching.