on 29 May 2010
The classic line from Crocodile Dundee always comes to mind when I see other sat navs now.

I've had mine for about 3 months and like it very much. It is fast and finds routes easily, it will also re-route quicky too if you choose to ignore the directions. The onscreen directions are very easy to read due to the screen size and with the unusually large supplied windscreen-mount it can be sited in a wide range of places around your vehicle. I would like to have the option to download alternative voices as the supplied ones are a bit robotic (maybe in the future eh?)

The TV picture is really sharp and works well in most places (I even used it in Rome recently where it found 216 Freeview channels!!) Overall, it's not perfect but then I doubt if any others are but for the money, it is a very useful tool and great entertainment too.
VINE VOICEon 16 December 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I recieved the satnav and was instantly drawn to how big the unit was. At 4.7", it is a lot bigger than the 3.0" or 4.3" I have only ever seen before. This makes it very good for navigation as you can quickly glance across to the screen and easily see without taking your eyes off the road for too long. The large screen is also very good for the built in freeview. The signal for the freeview can take a couple of minutes to register, and I do not generally have many problems once connected; the only problem is when you take a minor route and the signal is lost which then is useless.

The maps and navigation is very very good. I have used tomtom and other navman satnavs, and i must say this is probably the best and easiest to understand, especially when approahing difficult junctions. The satelite connection is very very quick. Also with the satnav, it includes lane assist, which is probably navman's equivalent to tomtom's IQ routes, but I was impressed on how accurate it has been. It does also have built in speed camera data, but I would expect that as standard.
on 29 December 2010
Basically means in Spanish 'Mine' , well not any more.
This was my very first mobile sat nav , I had previously had built in car units but they were not as good. Well I would say that for me it was the best that money could buy , used twice for the long haul into Spain in 2010 ,it was spot on , clear directions and updated info for petrol stations etc which was invalueable , yes and most do it I know but this is special. Then disaster ! Yes I liked it so much that I took it everywhere as I was worried that the car might be broken into. Then I had it stolen or lost it whilst shopping in Madrid. Traveling is now no longer as enjoyable without Daniel speaking the way ahead , its larger than the norm but this is also great for watching TV even on the move. I am going to get another as soon as I can afford it , why ,well I suggest that you take a serious look at them for yourself , Viva Mio V735
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 19 December 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
HARDWARE
The Mio "Spirit" V series comes in two sizes: 4.7" (V505) and 7" widescreen (V735), the latter of which seems overly large and likely to block your view of the road. I got the 4.7" and it's ample for both navigating and watching television (not at the same time, of course). The only slight let-downs with the smaller unit are that it doesn't come with a headphone port, which is useful for watching TV, or an FM tuner. The screen is touch-sensitive and it comes with a small remote control.

Power/charging is done via the car or USB cable connected to a computer. If you want a mains charger it has to be bought separately, which is a little annoying. When connected to a computer the device acts as if it's an external drive, making it easy to manage and transfer files. It has 1GB of internal memory, which is expandable via a slot for a MicroSD card, on which you can store "NavPix" (images of places to aid in navigation), music files and voice recordings (a microphone is built-in). There's also a slot for a digital TV card.

Installation is very simple - since the device doubles as a TV it's been designed to be easy to move around - and the build quality is good.

SOFTWARE
The main home screen has a convenient button interface. Just touch what you want to do or scroll down for more options. As a satnav it's hard to fault, although I haven't tried any obscure journeys yet, and since this is the first satnav I've used I don't know how it compares to others such as TomTom or Garmin. It features "Back-On-Track" automatic rerouting in case you do go wrong.

The big selling point of the V series is that it's also a TV, so you can detach it from the dash and hand it one of the kids. It picks up the main Freeview channels with ease in my area (which has undergone the switchover to digital), although reception varies when you're travelling. When disconnected from a power source and being used as a TV it'll go for around 2 hours before needing a recharge.

It comes bundled with MioMore Desktop (Windows only), a suite of tools which allow you to organise the content on the device.

OVERALL
An excellent little satnav/TV combo with only a couple of minor niggles.
0Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 April 2011
Overall its very good, I have been used to built in versions, so found this not as smooth to use

Pros: Supersize screen is easy to see, you can watch freeview tv where thers a signal, speed trap alerts, problems en route alerts, easy to use, gets you there ok. Lane assist when changing from one motorway to another is great.
Cons: expanded view when moving through town can be confusing and has lead to me taking wrong turns ( due to colour scheme). Does not turn with the car quickly enough around town again leaving you to go the wrong way sometimes. Graphics could be better, but ive been told all these portable units are similar in screen quality.Does not allow an expanded view of your journey for more than a few seconds.
on 30 April 2012
As a satnav this product works great, far superior the awful Garmin satnav I had previously; the large screen is HUGE and easy to see. Of particular strength are the clear and unambiguous verbal instructions and the lane assist type feature on the screen is very helpful. Due to the size of the screen this product is really only suitable for vans/ mpvs/ motorhomes.

Most reviews seem to concentrate on the digital TV feature. While stationary the picture is crisp and sharp, but battery life is half an hour at best. As a TV this product is only really suitable as a camping TV or bedroom TV connected to another power source.

You will definitely need the mains charger to keep it charged as the USB will not charge the unit, even after several days. The mains charger or cigarette lighter take a couple of hours to fully charge the unit from dead.

The only major downside is that the suction cup is barely adequate to support the weight of the unit and must be kept scrupulously clean to stop the unit falling down!
on 28 July 2011
Excellent service, had a missing part but that was resolved very quickly, so i am very pleased with my purchase which was a MIO Sat nav Model V735.
JTHenderson
on 27 June 2015
I originally ordered a V735 but was sent a V505. The seller amended the price and I accepted the V505. The unit arrived on time and I have been delighted with it ever since. The Sat-Nav is excellent & I keep it up to date annually and the TV has been really useful both at home and abroad where Digital free-to-air TV is available.
on 5 October 2015
Was bought as a gift years ago just getting around to leaving my long overdue review today. This still works perfectly today, years after purchase. Fast delivery, everything was great!
on 15 June 2012
I bought this for my husband he a taxi driver with lots of spare time, he loves it, no trouble picking up all the free view channels..
Great buy... The size is good.