Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 June 2009
Bradford Cox is spoiling us with his prolificacy. First there was last year's Atlas Sound work, then the excellent Microcastle, and now this short, but very satisfactory stopgap EP. Rainwater Cassette Exchange is another 15 minutes of blissed out indie pop-rock that also takes in generous doses of dreamy psychedelia and Black Lip's brand of garage-rock (see standout track, `Famous Last Words'). `Game Of Diamonds' is equally beguiling and brings Grandaddy to mind in its lush harmonies. Newcomers would still be best placed starting with Microcastle / Weird Era Continued, but this is more than one for the completist, despite being offered on cassette format by certain vendors. I fear Rainwater Cassette Exchange may no longer be with us due to modern format preference, but would nevertheless have been unlikely to have seen any exchanges of this solid EP.
on 9 April 2010
Sorry to nit-pick but I suspect the review by Gannon should refer to Bradford Cox's 'prolific' output, rather than 'profligacy', which in my dictionary basically means 'wasteful'. I endorse his comments on Deerhunter's excellent work.