TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 8 July 2010
This was bought primarily as a way of playing DVD's through my Asus Eee netbook which has no CD/DVD drive within it. It was also bought to cover the eventuality that we'd need to load some software onto the netbook via a disc - but this part of it has not yet been tested.

As a DVD/CD player using the inbuilt Linux operating system of the Asus Eee this unit is effective, it works perfectly and gives us the ability to watch films off external DVD's while travelling. It doesn't weight much and seems robust enough for the job, and when I tried operating it via power off just the USB it functioned perfectly (although it comes with a mains lead too). We haven't yet put it through a gruelling schedule so I've no idea how it stands up to consistent heavy use.

So far so good, just plug and play, and the price is good. Steve Riches.

ADDED FEB 2011...
Unfortunately, having posted a reasonably complimentary review above, I now find that the item, past date of return, has started sticking and stuttering with DVD playback mode, and Sod's Law decreed this would happen on a remote island where we really needed it. I'd be interested to read other people's longer-term useage of this product befor knocking off some stars.
on 21 October 2012
I needed this for my netbook after I got fed up asking my boyfriend to download my cds for me from his computer. I don't get downloads and I am one of those people who still buys cds!! (I love vinyl too but that's another story). I am rubbish at technology but this is SO easy to use!!! Just plug in and within minutes I was downloading my cds onto my mp3 and photos from cds too. It doesn't need any setting up on my Acer Aspire One netbook and I cannot recommend it enough!!! I haven't tried playing dvds on it yet but it plays cds fine. Just wish I'd bought it years before!!!
on 15 December 2012
I sent for this because the CD ROM drive I had been using to rip tracks from a CD stopped working when I updated to Ubuntu 10.10.
I am pleased to say this DVD drive rips CD's by using 'Asunder' downloaded from the Ubuntu free software library.
on 13 June 2010
This Company were kind enough to allow me to exchange the CD ROM drive (which I had bought incorrectly) for this one. It was needed so that I could re-install XP onto my Netbook and it did this perfectly. I can also use it to play DVDs and CDs on the Netbook. Great little drive!
on 24 December 2014
I have returned the product as it does not work. Will review when I get my money back and for return postage too.
on 29 May 2009
I bought this DVD Rom drive for my Samsung NC20, and have had no problems at all. It reads CDs and DVDs, looks decent, isn't too flimsy, and is good value for money. Sure, it would be nice to be able to burn CDs/DVDs as well, but at this kind of price-level, you can't have everything. Just be aware that like most external drives, it requires 2 USB connections (one for data, one for power).
37 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 21 May 2010
For some reason this drive would not even recognise DVDs let alone play them. I tried it on my netbook and on my desktop and downloaded the necessary software suggested in the instructions but it would not work. I sent it back and was told that after an extensive check there was nothing wrong with it but given a refund. If it was working why was it not sent back to me or why was I not sent another - makes me think it was in fact faulty! I guess I was just the unfortunate one as everyone else on here seems to have had no problems.
3 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 28 February 2010
This product is the best buy on the market at the moment. It's the best company who give results for low prices.

It allows you to insert software in computers fast and easy, and is well worth the money.

WATCH OUT! THERE IS A CHEAPER VERSION FROM THE SAME COMPANY! BUT THAT VERSION ONLY INSERTS CD FORMATS! MOST FORMATS ARE DVD SO CHOOSE THIS MODEL TO THE CHEAPER ONE!
10 people found this helpful
on 6 July 2009
The Qubz slimline DVD Rom is exactly what it says on the tin. Slimeline, very light in weight, and plug and play. No sooner did i request the item, it arrived 2 days later. Very much satisfied with the item, and fits comfy in the small laptop bag i have with my webbook. Thank you so much!
2 people found this helpful
on 16 February 2010
Brilliant little external DVD player.
Came with two USB connections but turned out only needed one to power and play it.
Doesn't make too much noise while its working and runs pretty smoothly.
Definitely recommended for those who have little netbooks with no CD drive, does me just fine!
2 people found this helpful