Format: DVD|Change

I wasn't sure whether to buy this movie. It's a made-for-TV "prequel" to the other two movies, with different (younger) actors in the title roles. It could easily have been awful.

Actually, it turns out to be quite good. It has a silly plot as usual - that's part of the fun of Scooby Doo - but the action moves along nice and swiftly, and the young actors throw themselves into the silliness with enthusiasm. Hayley Kiyoko, who plays Velma, is particularly worth watching. The special effects are pretty impressive for a relatively low-budget movie.

The extras are pretty awful (a music video, a not-very-good personality quiz and a couple of gag reels).
on 19 October 2009
I bought this movie expecting nothing special, particularly because Sarah Michelle Gellar wasn't in it. However I watched it and I really enjoyed it; its not exactly cinema material but its a really good movie. Although the scenes towards the end may be a little scary for younger viewers, apart from that all Scooby fans should definatley give this a watch!!
on 19 January 2012
After chancing upon the surprisingly watchable live-action Scooby Doo prequel Scooby Doo: Curse of the Lake Monster [DVD] I got hold of this, the origin story, featuring four unknowns interacting with our animated canine hero. Again, the sheer enthusiasm and likeability of the cast lifts what could have been a 'straight to Blockbusters' bargain-bin effort, and actually it's a whole lotta' fun. All the tropes from the animated TV series are present - including the original 1969 opening sequence, re-shot with the human cast. Amongst other things we discover how the 'Mystery Machine' came to be, how Shaggy and Scooby met, and how the goofy duo created the legendary 'Scooby snacks'.
on 22 October 2009
A good, fun film for scooby doo fans, really funny in places. My 9 yr old really enjoyed it. The film tells how Mystery Inc first met when 15-16 year olds at school. Worth watching.
on 1 January 2010
If you can get your head round Fred having dark hair, this is a really good film. It's set around the school. They all end up accidently getting detention together and clubbing together to find out who's trying to close the school down and why. It's the kind of film that if you miss a bit, you want to rewind it so you don't miss any. Kept the kids quiet and that's not unusual, that's a miracle in our house! Not as good as the other proper films, but still a good plot and fun to watch
on 8 November 2009
This is much better then the first two live action movies. This one goes back to the original charm of the cartoon. It's a good adventure and the cast of relatively new stars is refreshing. The added bonus of Frank Welker voicing Scooby Doo is another credit to the film. If you like the original Scooby Doo then this is the closest all of the live action versions have gotten to the cartoon. Including the What's New Scooby Doo theme song it says I'm better then the previous two. So the mystery begins and there is talk of a sequel, I say bring it on!
on 6 November 2009
I bought this dvd for my 5 year old daughter she likes scooby doo and she has scooby doo 1 & 2 aswell, Its an enjoyable movie for the whole family to sit down too which is good the only problem since watching all of the scooby doo dvds is me and my daughter prefer 1 & 2, dont know if it's the different characters which play in this one just something seems to lack but my daughter has them all and she is happy so worth every penny to me
on 14 February 2013
This DVD was well received, and after having watched it, I would recommend to other Scooby Doo fans. OK so maybe the voices and the characters are different from the other films, but I think that ALL the characters did a really good job, and is well worth watching. It certainly explains how the gang got together in the first place, which has always been a bit of a mystery to me. Scooby Doo wins my vote everytime.
on 25 October 2009
About the movie : great entertainment for the whole family if the whole family is of course a scooby fan. The writing is very good, generous, witty and funny, and so are the cast and the cinematography. The CGI are cheap but acceptable, and there is a lot of bonuses. You'll find many audio tracks (english, spanish, french, italian, german) and the corresponding subtitles, which is great.
About the blu-ray : great picture, everything looks all right to me but I'm not an expert. I didn't try to download the electronic version. A DVD is included, with the same audio tracks and subtitles. I'm very happy with this one.
on 11 January 2012
bought this for my daughter for christmas, shes a big scooby doo fan so i couldnt go wrong, i dont know how many times we have watched this film together, its a good childrens film with a good story line