Customer reviews

Style: STANDARD ONLY|Change
Price:£9.99+ Free shipping

on 8 December 2016
I brought the mechanical sharpener at full price for my personal use. I mainly use it for sharpening coloured pencils, pencil erasers and blender pencils.
It is very simple to use. Simply pull the compartment containing the pencil gripper out, insert pencil and turn the handle to sharpen. If sharpening to a very fine point keep turning until the handle loses almost all resistance, otherwise u can pull it out at any time.
I had found plastic sharpeners were damaging my softer pencils causing the leads to break unevenly, be over sharpened or the lead would get stuck inside the blades.
Buying this has completely stopped that. Using a mechanical sharpener takes away all the accidental pressure or tilting a human hand provides when sharpening.
The tray provided to collect the pencil sharpenings however is not secure inside the compartment, if you do accidentally tilt the sharpener the draw will fall out and the pencil sharpenings will go everywhere. (Trust me I know)

I hadn't realized how important a good sharpener is to artwork. I would never choose to go back to a plastic one again.
The sharpener is very good quality and allows you to sharpen to fine points, essential when colouring excessively small details.
review image review image
on 4 June 2016
I'm obsessed with this thing. I sharpen any sort of pencil I can get hold of and love every second of it. However, it's not without its flaws. It sharpens graphite pencils really well and quickly. However, cheaper colouring pencils tend to break in this which means having to dismantle the sharpener to get to the broken lead and remove it, which itself is rather tricky without some sharp, pointed object to get it out. When it works, which is 99% of the time, it works like a dream. When the lead breaks, you'll be annoyed.
on 2 August 2016
Bought for studio use. I was expecting the body to be made of plastic but it is metal. Five settings for different point angles (which I have yet to really explore) but it seems to do it's job well and is sturdy enough for the price. Unsure as to the other colour possibilities, mine was light blue which looks fine. Much cheaper than other "metal" sharpeners, it's not a cast metal body but more than strong enough and clamps well to my desk.
on 23 September 2016
One of the coolest "toys" I've bought for the children. They really enjoy using it.

Sturdy built and clever mechanism. It is the best sharpener I've come across and wish i got one much earlier.

The only downside is that when the tip breaks in the sharpening mechanism (due to the pencil not the sharpener), you need to use a small tool (paper clip or screwdriver) to dislodge it, but then it's back in business in no time.
Bought for my workshop as I always have a bunch of pencils around for woodworking and whilst I can sharpen with a knife perfectly well, bottom line is that this does it better.

But, most of all. IT'S A BLAST. Think back to your young school days when you had to go to the teachers desk to sharpen your pencils and the wonder at the magic performed by this simple tool. No matter how many times I did it, I never lost that sense of awe. And today even at a somewhat far advanced age, I still get a buzz when I sharpen half a dozen pencils prior to working on a new home project in my workshop.

For that alone it's work the wedge. That being said I'm sure it's not as well made as it used to be with a slight 'tinny,' feel to it. Works well though.
on 6 March 2017
Poor customer service. Have complained that the handle keeps falling off. Nobody has bothered to answer me... brought a different one now... very disappointing...
on 28 May 2016
You cannot beat the old school! This is a helical mill-type pencil sharpener and it works great. I am so tired of the lame single-blade cheapo designed ones which never really get the job done, breaking the point/lead a lot of the time. This sharpens coloured pencils fantastically. You can adjust the point and it has an auto feed mechanism (on left side) which pulls the pencil in perfectly. Very happy with it. I cannot say how it will hold up - I will repost after we have run a few hundred pencils through it.
on 23 February 2017
With the recent craze for the grown up colouring books this became an essential item for my dad after he broke his last one. I am not sure if they have a number of pencils before failure rating (MTBF) but he broke it so needed a new one.

This was it and he is over the moon, build quality was better, sharpening was easier, points were better. This has it all.

And of course it was a great price. The manual (if you need it) was comprehensive, the attachments superb and did I mention a happy dad.

What more does a son want? (yes I got to watch the football in peace)
on 19 November 2016
This was, I thought a brilliant sharpener but it has just broken. My six year old son has managed to rip off the handle apparently because he wanted to see how it was attached. I could moan and say the sharpener was inferior quality but then again, it did last a whole year before it caved in to my sons destructive testing and most things he destroys much quicker than that. With this in mind, I've decided to buy another one!
on 23 August 2016
Since purchasing this sharpner, it has been a crown jewel on my desk. Never again do I have to deal with sore thumbs, endlessly sharpening my pencils and my sibling's pencils. It produces a nib that is able to literally stab through a pork chop with ease!

The mechanism is incredibly easy to use, and the best thing is that you can adjust the sharpness, simply by sliding a small mechanism on the face of the handle.

It is also easy to clean too, as the bin just slides out. You won't find yourself emptying it too often though, as it is fairly spacious anyway.

The blade system can be easily exposed by twisting the handle housing anti-clockwise, meaning in the rare case that you may find a piece of lead being stuck, you can easy dislodge it.