Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 26 October 2016
Probably the best album that Gabriel era Genesis released. A double concept album with so many highlights. Needs to be approached as one work, although a few tracks stand up as songs in their own right. If you like poetical and witty lyrics Gabriel's words will appeal too. An album that didn't make an instant impact as 'Selling England . . . ' but has sold steadily ever since its release. Well worth the effort of repeated plays as most classic prog music needs, as it grows on you, I like this remastered version for its extra clarity and more weight in the bass. I know some who are not so sure.
on 27 March 2017
After reading some of the reviews for this product, I was a little concered about the tracks cutting off before the end of the tracks. I bought the CD version and also the mp3 rip, Ive listened to both versions and yes the mp3 version does cut off before the track finishes but the CD is perfect. Also like to say that the remasted CD is perfect sound on my stereo system, highly recomend this Genesis CD. It fetched back some great memories. Best album Genesis ever produced.
on 23 December 2011
This is the last album that Peter Gabriel made with Genesis, and he had obviously decided not to go out with a whimper. When it was originally released (in 1974) even die-hard Genesis fans weren't fully prepared for the lyrical, conceptual and musical leap forward contained in this double LP, as compared with the handful of Genesis albums which had preceded it. The previous records had established the band as a laid-back, hippy, arty, mystical, melodic, eccentric musical combo who sounded somewhere between Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd. Then the mercurial mind of Peter Gabriel came up with the surrealistic story of dysfunctional, delinquent New York youth, Rael, and the band drafted in Brian Eno to influence some instrumental/experimental tracks - turning what could have simply been an interesting musical interpretation of an L.S.D. trip into an unforgettable masterpiece.

To list the songs and the adventures of Rael here (before his trip climaxes) is not necessary. Suffice to say that the power of this double-album still has the ability to soothe, shock and unnerve, and I believe it will remain a timeless classic. Please note: this album is NOT just another example of 1970's concept double-album over-indulgence. I submit that "The Lamb Lies Down..." remains a unique, existential, stand-alone project, and should be embraced (and listened to) as something that lies absolutely outside of the inarguably over-indulgent, "up its own backside" genre of Seventies "Prog-Rock".

[A word of advice to potential buyers of the double-CD: Go for the 1994 Definitive Master - which is the music from the 2xLP simply transferred to CD. The 2008 "remaster" can almost be categorized as a "remix" - meaning that alterations and ommissions have been made by recording engineers who obviously don't care about us "warts & all" purists.]
I bought this digitally remastered version, never having heard the original analogue release. I am very familiar with Genesis from "And then there were three" onwards but not much before that. I am also a big fan of Peter Gabriel as a solo artist, having bought all his albums and also been to his most recent gig in Manchester (which was 2003 I think). So, I was interested to find out what his work as original Genesis lead singer sounded like. My personal verdict: I loved it from the first note to last. I love the variety and eclecticity and the inventive quasi classical use of composition techniques. I love classical music too (my music collection being roughly 70% classical/opera, 30% pop/rock), so I feel at home with this CD. I guess that was a hallmark of prog rock. Being too young to remember that period (I was a young child in the 70s) as a music fan, I can ony go by how this music fits in with everything I have heard over the years. By new and older standards, this is truly an outstanding album. As for my verdict on the remastering, I can only say (not being able to compare to original release) that it sounds excellent, and I will thoroughly enjoy repeated listenings.
on 12 April 2017
This is an absolute classic album. Genius and surreal. There is comedy and many tracks of dream-like states. It is like a ride through the emotions. Carpet crawlers is beautiful.
on 30 April 2017
Probably the best Genesis album ever, Peter Gabriel at his finest.
on 2 January 2017
great
on 17 June 2017
Classic Genesis.
on 15 July 2017
Great
on 10 March 2015
amazed at how quickly the record took to arrive, and absolutely thrilled to pieces with the immaculate quality. thank you.