on 12 October 2015
I have been using this book for almost 10 years now. It totally changed the way I cook and approach nutrition, I couldnt recommend it highly enough. It is my 'bible' not just a cookbook. PLEASE NOTE the book uses US measurements including a TABLESPOON. It has taken me a long time to realise that the US tablespoon is 3 teaspoons NOT 2 desertspoons hence come recipies did not work for me. This is especially important with the Fermented vegetable recipies that were coming out far too salty. There is a conversion chart in the book.
on 16 June 2013
I got this book recommendation from Ben Greenfield, an American personal trainer / genius self-promoter who puts out a fascinating health and fitness podcast.

Great to see a cookbook that emphasises "healthy" eating without falsely worshipping low fat, low sat fat and low cholesterol. Evidence would appear to be mounting that we do well on plenty of saturated fat and cholesterol in our diets, and that details such as the oxidation of fats (damage from processing and high heat, for example... and from consuming with high carbs) is what is actually problematic... along with excessive consumption of pro-inflammatory omega-6 oils. With this knowledge I'm angered that folks are led astray into bad health by the fat-phobic, pro-cereal propaganda movement / farming lobby.

This is quite a hefty book and, although I've not used it much yet, I can easily see it becoming a favourite for my brother (it was a gift for him) along with the books of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall. I like how rich sauces and fermented foods get a lot of attention. I can't wait to taste some recipes from here.
on 19 November 2014
Plenty of info, good recipes - although if you are from a cooking family you will recognise some of them. Would be better in hardback though - a 'hefty' book which is quite difficult to handle because of the 'floppiness', however content is informative and very, very interesting. If you can cook like your Grandma, then you will 'get' most of this advice. Just goes to prove that, sometimes, the old ways really are the best.
on 2 November 2015
Brilliant informative book. Everyone should read this if you are looking to care for your body and put in better nutrition.
on 9 September 2017
Some excellent recipes. Well worth having on your shelf!
on 28 May 2017
The best book on diet and nutrician you will ever read. I feel that I have missed out on this fascinating knowledge for 48 years! The stories of diet over the centuries have kept me reading and intrigued. Buy this book if this subject interests you..you won't be dissapointed.
on 24 August 2017
This book introduced me to a lot of new ideas
on 22 June 2017
What my misses wanted
on 16 July 2017
This is a must read so much information you can read from the start or dip in and out
on 15 June 2017