Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£3.99

on 22 November 2011
I had the LP in the 70's and then the CD when it was released in the 80's. I decided to buy this hoping that the sound quality would be improved from the 80's CD. I am very happy to say that the audio is amazing. It hasn't been compressed like the previous CD and the audio is crisp and clear. It is a fantastic collection and surprisingly, the live tracks are as good as, or better than the studio recordings. The harmonies on the live version of Homeward Bound are worth the purchase alone. The CD comes in jewel case. The only criticism (and this is why it loses a star) is that the booklet has no additional notes. Only the track listing.

The track listing is as follows;

1 Mrs. Robinson"
2 For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her" (live)
3 The Boxer
4 The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" (live)
5 The Sound of Silence"
6 I Am a Rock"
7 Scarborough Fair/Canticle
8 Homeward Bound" (live)
9 Bridge over Troubled Water
10 America
11 Kathy's Song" (live)
12 El Condor Pasa (If I Could)
13 Bookends
14 Cecilia
11 comment| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 November 2011
A collection which includes the best selection of Simon and Garfunkel hits. Whenever I start playing it, I just can't decide which one I like best, since I love all of these songs equally. Each appeal to different moods, different memories of mine. "A Bridge over Troubled Water" is the ultimate song about friendship and sacrifice, being there and comforting the ones you love. "Mrs Robinson", the song from the OST of "The Graduate", a cheerful rhythm that only compares with "Cecilia", both songs equally cheeky (I love Cecilia's lyrics "when I come back to bed someone's taken my place").

"The Boxer" and "I am a rock" are both songs of personal strength and standing on your own, while "The sound of silence" is the philosophical message against ignorance, false idols, a bit mournful, yet still soothing.

Personally, I would include others too (Bleecker Street, Keep the customer satisfied, Baby Driver), but then again, according to my opinion, there's hardly a song I can think of that this duo made and that I don't consider a hit.

I recommend this gem of a CD for gifts, for yourself, for whoever knows of them or hasn't yet been initiated.
on 10 March 2006
H'mm....first bought this album in the mid-seventies.Its a fine intro' to the huge talent of Simon and Garfunkel.The tracks are gleaned from four of their five original albums and as such are a fair sample of those original albums.That said this is still only a sample and there are many fine songs not included here.Still this album contains all their major hits, from their first 'Sounds of Silence' right through to 'Bridge' and 'The Boxer' off their last album.It gives a good cross section of the different type of songs that Simon was so good at creating.From the isolationist 'I Am A Rock' to the merry 'Cecilia'(a plea to St.Cecilia-patron saint of music to come back and assist in the writing of more music), this album covers all moods.There is not one bad track here but mention must be made of the beautiful 'America' and the smash hit 'Mrs Robinson', both taken off the classic album 'Bookends'.
If you enjoy this you should buy the original albums as they are all excellent, even the neglected 'Wednesday Morning 3A.M.'.
Yes a good intro' to their music and excellent value at this price.Buy and enjoy...you can't go wrong!!
on 12 November 2011
I had to purchase this, as I had the original album on vinyl... As a perfectly sequence piece, there are few albums that come close... it includes live versions of some of the songs, that are better than the studio versions in my opinion (like 'Homeward Bound' & 'Feelin' Groovy')... For me, this is a must have... It doesn't disappoint (on any level...)
on 8 March 2007
This is a diamond of an album! Some of the songs must have been composed from an alternate world;a world that reflects our inner desires, and one that plucks our heart strings once melodies such as "Emily", "Sound of Silence" and Bridge of Troubled Water. There are no bad or even averagesongs in this album and if I could give six stars,I wouldn't hesitate to do so.
on 8 January 2003
In 1972 Simon & Garfunkle got back together for a benefit concert at Madison Square Garden to raise money for George McGovern's presidential campaign. A few weeks later this "Greatest Hits" collection was released. As such this was a rather innovative album in that it live versions of "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her," "Homeward Bound," "Feelin' Groovy," and "Kathy's Song." There is also a previously unissued alternate take of the lovely "America." Consequently, this was a hits collection that was worth buying if you already had all of Simon & Garfunkle's albums. Listening to Garfunkle's live performance of "Emily" is the real treat, since there was a time when that was my favorite song in the whole wide world (and, I should note, the only one of the live versions from this album to make it onto the new "The Best of Simon & Garfunkle" collection). My only complaints with this album are rather trivial, but the applause at the end of the live tracks is way too loud and it seems almost sacrilegious to me that the piano introduction of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" comes out of the applause from "Homeward Bound." Sorry, but there is just something wrong about that. The 1999 collection of "The Best of Simon & Garfunkle" drops "Kathy's Song" and still ends up with six more tracks, so it is clearly superior to this 1972 album, and even those who like to hear the duo in live performance would have to make the 1982 "Concert in Central Park" their first choice.
on 19 August 2013
Sold under the title of their 'Greatest Hits', this collection contains several 'live' versions, which, although the duo can pull them off on stage very convincingly (complete with some irritating applause), they are never quite the same as the perfection you hear from their work in the studio. A bit sneaky perhaps, and disappointing. This fact isn't pointed out in either the CD's booklet, back inlay or on the disc itself, and to be fair and honest, I think it should. Go for other 'Best of/Greatest Hits/Ultimate compilations which are all recorded in a studio. If you really must have a 'live' album, then go for one that is all live and not a bit of a rip off like this one!
on 17 January 2016
Wow Just fantastic tunes with a touch of live recording as well... You cant say a bad word over this album
it's just so out standing excellent music well played and sung..
Many tunes from my younger days....sigh How the memories come back When playing this album
I give this five gold stars... more if I could... Just so glad that nobody has messed with any of the songs because
that would be just... sacrilege
if your like me on your own ... Just don't play this if sad and lonely it will make you cry...believe me....
The music is so close to ones hart and sung with such feeling.. Brilliantly done ,
Well done to SIMON & GARFUNKEL excellent compilation...
I look foreword to buying more albums like this soon from AMAZON ( providing this gets printed )
Reviewed by one happy AMAZON customer who loves his music... SATAN
review image review image
Simon and Garfunkel are icons from the sixties and seventies.
There music is timeless brilliance.
I don't believe there is is a single weak track on this compilation and some are true classics such as;
Mrs Robinson, Homeward Bound, Scarborough Fair, The 59th Street Bridge Song, and the legendary
Sound of Silence.
I always picture the "Graduate" whenever i hear that last track, it sends a shiver down my spine.
Wonderful, classic music.
on 14 August 2013
First I should confess that I enjoyed the original CD when it was released. However this release allowed me the additional pleasure of having the full CD tracks virtually, but instantaneously, accessible on my smartphone. The sound quality is the best mp3 can muster and through headphones is superb. I've become a fan of cloud player overnight. For those who enjoy lyrics that combine poetry, musicality, philosophy and human insight into the songs they listen to, look no further. A timeless classic.