VINE VOICEon 30 December 2005
I loved this book, even though I'm not a system admin as such, but I do work in a busy IT department. I've tried various time management schemes recently, such as David Allen's 'Getting Things Done' amongst others, and found them all to be a little abstract. I can sort of see what they're getting at, but when it comes to putting them into practice, the systems kind of fall apart on me.
However, Thomas Limoncelli's book is different. It's *practical*. And he uses real-life examples, which actually work!
Written in a friendly, conversational style, the book covers the high-level concepts such as managing interruptions, checklists and the overall principles of time management. That done, he moves onto his Cycle system then how to prioritise tasks effectively, how to deal with stress and documenting your processes and workflows. The book finishes off with some system admin-specific tips on how to automate processes.
I can't recommend this book enough. I've been pushing it on my work colleagues, and can already see a difference in how I can manage mine and my team's workloads. Highly recommended.
on 14 January 2006
When I noticed this book I was a bit reluctant since books that claim to teach me how to live my life never appealed to me.
The decision to pick it up was taken since I was curious about the somewhat unusual angle this book takes. The book provides time management techniques for system administrators.
System administrators (and I am guessing you are one or trying to understand one if you are reading this) have no time,ever.
They are either busy with problems at work (24 hours 7 days a week) or busy with learning some new technology or even worse-helping friends and family with absorbing technology.
So I was curious, is there a way for a system administrator to become less busy?
After reading the book I came to the conclusion that a system administrator may be able to better manage his time using the principles outlined in this book. The principles provided in the book are not vague and general; they can be quickly applied to real situations a system administrator may encounter.
When reading this book I had the feeling of Deja-Vu several times, I was using some of the techniques described in the book, before reading the book, yet the book managed to provide the final touches needed to perfect the techniques.
I have found this book to provide a great perspective on the system administrator’s ability to take control of a seemingly chaotic life.
on 29 July 2015
Successfully read this book. Has some great points that could probably have been conveyed in 20 pages, rather than the full page count.
Essentially, Write a list, plan your day, ignore your email till the afternoon. Then your golden.
on 24 July 2014
I currently work as a technical support analyst, and when I asked one of our sysadmins for book recommendations to learn more about Linux system administration, he handed me two books: Running Linux by Matt Welsh et al, and Time Management for System Administrators.

At risk of being accused of exaggerating - this is probably the best and most useful book I have ever read about anything ever. I read it before going to sleep at night. I've told all of my coworkers about it. I've ordered my own copy so that I can re-read it and then start lending it out to everyone I know when they complain about being too busy at work.

I used to be pretty organised both at work and with my personal projects, but my increase in productivity since reading this book has been insane.

If you already think you're a good time manager, you need to read this book. If you think that you're a rubbish time manager, you need to read this book (multiple times). And get everyone else on your team to read it too - you will feel like superheroes.
on 12 January 2008
This is a REALLY good book for sys admin/netwok managers/whatever you want to call someone who looks after the servers and network in a company. I was glad to find I am not alone in the things I have to cope with evey day at work (and at home!). He really made me feel like my problems are also being tackled by others out there in sys admin land. And gives great advice on how to deal with those problems.
A real practical book, which is exactly what was I was after, not a theoretical treatment of the subject but excellent practical advice for daya-to-day problems. I even read some to my girlfriend (who has no idea what I do.)
The only section missing was on managing expectations of people. How do you manage 6 different peoples expectations of you all at once? That is a trick I need to learn...
on 10 May 2010
This is undoubtedly the best time management book I've ever come across. Focusing on System Administration type work it helps to create a balance when managing the millions of interruptions, hundreds of projects and miscellaneous tasks that crop up and keep you in the office late.

Other time management books don't grasp the somewhat unique role of the system administrator, but this is very relevant and understands that most SA's are passionate about what they do - which blurs the boundaries on the work/life balance.

All in all, a good read, and if you can't stick to all the tips included in this book, you're guaranteed to at least gain *something* of value :)
on 4 December 2007
This book really gives practical advice for SA's and many of these tried and tested practices may be applied by any person who works to deadlines, in an ever changing and demanding IT environment, works on 1 or more projects.

Loved the writing style - frank, scattered with humour and engaging. I believer everyone who reads this can only benefit from it. It's certainly time well spent to read and digest the advice stated.
on 3 April 2007
Again Limoncelli hits bulls eye. Because nature of system administration we admins are tired, in bad mood and late. At least one can think that's the only way how to deal daily tasks but no it is. The book says you how to get organized which leads to making small miracles... at least if that is what you want. Anyway you'll have more time and less stress after following instructions of the book.
on 14 May 2007
This book is more suited to UNIX administrators. Overall, there are techiques which one could employ but nothing that totally impressed me. This book needs to be read twice to get the full message. His daily task list method is useful but it requires discipline to take the first 15 minutes of your working day to prioritise. This book illustrated techniques which I have been using in my own way.
on 23 March 2009
I found this book really good. I was already starting to apply some of the rules before reading it and reading it just confirmed me that I was on the right path and not a maniac. :)