Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£14.24

on 24 July 2015
A must read for those runners trying to chip away at their marathon PB. I am on my 7th marathon and moved from Hal Higdon's online plans to the 50-75 miles per week plans currently and while the mileage is higher than I'm used to I am starting to feel the benefit.

The book also goes in to the background and reason for each type of workout and highlights the pace and heart rate you should be aiming for.

Also has some decent chapters on strength training, diet, health etc.

Edit: Got a 13 minute PB with this plan on a horrible wet and windy day in Dublin in 2015. Negative split too with the second half a couple of minuites quicker, I felt I had a bit more in the tank too. I will be using this plan again
on 13 May 2017
Absolutely smashing book not only for advanced runners, A lot of excellent information, advises, practical suggestions, plans. An outstanding explanation of every detail and specific words and names connected to running, our bodies and training. I really love this book. It helps me to improve my knowledge and very important my physical condition to reach my goals. I highly recommend for everyone seriously interested in running the marathons.
on 28 March 2017
Some good plans but not for the faint hearted or injury-prone as the schedules are all pretty high mileage. Good explanations of the key workouts (tempo, long run, marathon paced runs, medium long run, vo2max, strides, recovery runs)
on 5 May 2015
I had already run a few marathons (4, I think) when I bought this book but I must admit, I only glanced through it a few times. Having run my first few marathons in progressively better times (coming down from 3:05 to 2:45), I was happy with the way my training had been going. However, my times started to go backwards in my next 5 races and I realised I needed to do something different, which is when I picked up the book again.

I had read somewhere that Steve Way, the British marathon runner who went from 16 1/2 stone to elite level marathoner representing England in the Commonwealth Games, had followed a plan from the book, so I thought I'd give it a bash.

The first part of the book goes through the theory behind the training methods covered. There are also some very interesting bits of information provided by and about other runners - of varying levels of ability - which are both interesting and inspiring. There are also sections dedicated to race strategy, nutrition and how to balance training and recovery.

I found reading the entire book before diving into the training very helpful because it teaches you the reasoning behind the training, which helped me a lot.

The second half of the book is devoted to training schedules, divided into 3 sections: up to 55 miles a week, 55 - 70 miles, 70 - 85 miles and 85 miles or more a week. There are also varying schedule lengths for each distance, so you can pick the one which suits your even or circumstances best.

I opted for 70m a week. To begin with, it felt quite tough but as time went on, I adapted and I started to notice some big improvements in my fitness. I discovered understanding why I was doing particular workouts really helped with motivation. It does say in the book the training would be challenging but it was never exasperating. I was also able to complete the training virtually injury free, which has been a problem for me with other training programs.

So, what happened with my time?

I ran 8 minutes quicker than my previous marathon and went 3 minutes under my target time of 2:50. Most importantly, I felt better equipped than I had before and I was able to run strongly from start to finish. Even though it wasn't a PB, I felt it was one of my strongest runs.

I highly recommend this book.
on 30 December 2014
This has become my training bible and has got me from a 3:24 PB in Berlin (2010) to a 3:14 PB in New York this year (Nov '14) after having almost given up after hitting a brick wall in my marathon training since Berlin. The plans are tough but the gains are obvious to me now - the increased mileage and better specificity in speedwork sessions have improved me as a runner without doubt. The book is also full of useful ideas for other training and I incorporate much of the strength & flexibility work into my weekly routine. If you are an 'average' ~3:30 - 4:00 marathon runner then be prepared for a step up following a Pfitz plan, but it is worth it.
on 17 February 2014
This is a great book for someone like me trying to break a certain time in the crazy world of marathon running. It gives it to you straight & hides nothing. Training, nutrition, schedules, race strategy's etc its got the lot, maybe not so beginner friendly due to the intensity of the training & the monster mileage, but this is a seriously good book for any runner wanting to better themselves, its well worth a read & highly recommended.
on 9 June 2011
I got this after my first marathon and used it train for my second. It contains everything you could possibly want to know about the marathon and how to train for it. It tells you how and when to do certain types of runs and the benefits of doing them. It also has drills and excellent core work for runners of all abilities.

The plans are tough, and maybe too tough for a first marathon, but they really work. I easily knocked off 17 mins in the space of 6 months.

There is so much information that even someone who is planning to run a marathon would benefit this book. Don't be put off by the grey-hound thin Elites on the front cover.

An essential buy if you really want to improve your marathon times.
on 27 October 2014
Will be training for my first marathon soon & this book was recommended several times to me. I'm learning a lot from it & am looking forward to drafting my training plan based on the help this book is providing
on 6 April 2017
I run for fun. Having had 3 attempts at a marathon I had underestimated the level of training needed. Therefore resulting in 3 poor times. I decided to take the training for number 4 more serious. I find the book very very informative and the training plans are well structured with great descriptions and instructions. Top class purchase all round that can be used time and time again for individual sessions as well as marathon training.

Prompt service. Great condition. Positive alround.
on 3 July 2012
What can I say? The 55 - 70 mpw plan got me over the finish line of my marathon in sub 4 hours and in great shape! Don't buy it if you want a "run less gain more" kind of plan - these guys sure do work you hard but because it's all got a sound underpinning of physiologically good sense you don't mind pushing on in the rain on a Wednesday evening! I found the book easy to read and understand and although most of the examples are of elite athletes it still applied to my marathon musings. I am just about to embark on a 12 week plan to get me to an off road and very hilly race in September.