Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(4 star). See all 25 reviews
on 6 October 2009
For a long time,decades even,to me Leavon Helm was the drummer from The Band with the extra special singing voice who to my own shame just slipped off my radar. Well I'm making up for lost time and playing this album and 2007's Dirt Farmer until the view through my windscreen changes from the A1 to a rural blacktop. From the opener Tennessee Jed with a vintage Ry Cooder feel to the closing joyous ensemble Leavon's singing never fails to hold it all together. Americana,country soul,country folk call it what you like. I call class,pure and simple.
on 20 January 2014
Having picked up 'Dirt Farmer' and readily fallen in love with it, I bought this album with high expectations. It is good and I play it a fair bit. It has great old blues numbers and those country influences. It has a strong feel of a 'Band' set, but pared-down a little.
Levon Helm's voice and style is still v much there and I would certainly recommend it.
on 1 January 2012
Ex Band member Helms stays just the right side of musical normality with this piece of true Americana.His voice is well suited for this sort of lyrics, the songs evocative and pure. I was disparaging of Ry Cooders latest effort - this shows how it should be done.
on 15 September 2013
As good as the other reviewers have said - yes, its v good stuff. I liked the raw, acoustic-ness of 'Dirt Farmer' and, in truth, like the electric flavour of this slightly less, but its a most enjoyable selection of songs. Recommended.
on 5 November 2009
levon at his best, a little heavy at times on the gospile side, a couple of good rockers,and a great number where he sings solo acc. by a fiddel high flying not to be missed