I bought this CD with just a hint of hesitation, thinking that a CD for £2.99 is bound to be a disappointment - but how wrong I was! This is a really super collection of 17 tracks and the production is A1 with a full, rich sound - the usual sound effects optimisation is not needed with this CD, it stands on its own two feet as you would expect from a Spectrum Music production. Motown produced many exceptionally good girl groups, and Martha Reeves and the Vandellas are among the best of the best. The tracks are exactly the same as the 'MP3 Download' album and every one is a belter and a fond memory from my youth - and if you have similar memories of Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, then you would hard pushed to obtain a better album than this and the VFM goes without saying - possibly/probably my best VFM music album buy on Amazon . . . . . .
on 17 May 2009
As far as I'm concerned you can never have enough of Martha & The Vandellas - Motown's greatest girl group. This set gives a perfect overview of their singles recordings, although they had many superb tracks that were not singles- so if you want to know more about this great group go for 'Black Magic' - their best album ever.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 September 2013
As I'm not usually a fan of soul music, I'll leave a fuller review to a more knowledgeable devotee, as I bought this CD pretty much for the two tracks I really like 'Dancing in the Street' and 'Heatwave'.

No doubt the rest of the disc will grow on me, but I must say that this compilation seems to be unevenly mastered - there is great volume variation between the two tracks I cite and the overall sound is quite undynamic. This may be down to original production techniques (I'm much more familiar with rock and jazz than soul in this period), but I somehow doubt it.

I'd suggest asking a soul expert before purchasing a compilation of this kind, as I certainly feel I for one would have benefitted from some advice on which Vandellas comp to purchase as there must be better ones than this out there.
on 13 February 2016
Have always loved the very underrated Martha and gals - regrettably overshadowed by the Supremes, but they have a much raunchier, hype sound and have lasted so well on the circuits - saw them recently and still wonderful to hear these songs again!
on 13 May 2014
In your velvet room - a superb track, an uncovered gem. Martha has a fabulous voice and was under rated like many black artists. I look forward to bopping to some of these tracks at a northern gig somewhere.
on 25 October 2013
Terrific album which takes me back to a time when things were a lot simpler and at a slower pace of life! Contains the fantastic "Dancing in the Street" which for me is one of the best classic songs ever produced! Definitely a winner which every self respecting album collector should have in their collection! A gem!!
on 7 January 2013
Fantastic, superb digital remastering/thingy of pivotal Motown grooves.Once on I could not stop prancing( read swaying gently)
around my kitchen. Happy days
on 26 April 2015
Great c.d.from one of the best groups of their generation
on 8 September 2014
Great quality, great price.
on 1 September 2014