TOP 50 REVIEWERon 19 October 2013
Its not that well made but fine for me as it its not being carried about. I use this to back up a desk top to an older hard drive every 2 weeks and it works fine. Easy to swap drives in and out and no problem with the USB - It just appears as another drive.
Had mine 2 years and no problems at all.
4 stars only because its not very robust.
on 4 June 2017
GREAT ITEM
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 May 2011
I mostly bought this casing because I have two IDE hdds from my dad's old G4, he wanted to recover the data inside one of those, so I kept the other one as backup (200GB). That, of course, to say that the 160GB limit stated in the product description IS NOT true. I bought it before testing, because I honestly knew it would have worked.
Anyway, the casing itself is a plastic box, which I took away right after seeing it, because 1)its's really just a thin plastic box and 2)I needed a way to swap hdds quickly.
If you want a cheap hdd casing, aim for this one, you know if you search further, you'll always find garbage, at least for old tech like this. Go for it, it's cheap, it does its job, it's not so pretty but who cares? If you have an old IDE hdd you know you'll use it like 4/5 times before discarding it, so don't waste your money for anything expensive. This is more than enough.

P.s. it also comes with a 5/12v power supply, with the 6 pin adapter, and a separate power cord (one you have laying around for a PC will work just fine if you don't live in the UK).
on 6 September 2011
It does what it says on the tin. It's not the best quality, but it's fine for the price. The blurb says that the aluminium case acts as a heatsink, but given that it's not actually touching anything that gets hot, this is something of an exaggeration.

You get a little screwdriver with it, which is fine for setting the drive in the chassis, but it's a bit on the small side for screwing the unit together. Be careful, or use a slightly larger screwdriver, otherwise you'll knacker the screw heads.

The instructions don't mention this, but it's common sense: make sure the drive you put in has the jumpers set to "Slave" or "Cable Select." If they're set to "Master" then Windows will see the caddy, but not the drive itself. The instructions aren't the best!
on 8 May 2010
Is it a bit tight to fit the drive in? Yes, particularly when getting the wires in the external casing.

Does it look cheap? externally, not really, but when you touch it the plastic parts does make it feel cheap, but then again it is.

Does it do the job? Yes

I wanted this for a very old 10Gb HDD I had sitting around gathering dust. Being so small I only wanted something cheap and cheerful that would do the job. This did exactly that.

The power light comes on blue and goes red when the HDD is in use. I always like the indicator, although in this case the HDD is so loud you could tell anyway. A while with no use and the thing spun down, a useful feature that doesn't always exists on more expensive models.

So all in all I'm happy. If I was looking for a caddy for a high capacity HDD for constant use, I would probably pay more, but if you have an old HDD around for occasionaly use this is great and well worth the price.
VINE VOICEon 2 October 2012
First off I must say that you get quite a lot for your money really. It arrives well packed, simply needing you to fit your drive in, screw it up and away you go.
You get a fairly good looking aluminium case with plastic front and rear panels, all the fitting screws, a crew driver, the power unit, mains lead and USB lead.
Take extra care when fitting the IDE drive into the case as it's and extremely tight fit.
On both of mine I had to loosen the pcb fixing screws on the PCB at the rear of the drive carrier to get the drive to fit. A bit of delicate leverage was still needed but it went in.
Also as others have noted it is a real squeeze to get the internal cables into the best place to allow the case to fit back on easily.

One of the USB leads was a tad poorly made and the other had a dented USB plug but they both worked.

My main complaint is not one that will affect too many people but it is the terrible levels of radiated RF interference from the things when they are powered up and running.

If you are aiming to use them on PCs used for radio frequency work especially around the 14MHz bands, you'll find around an S3 noise level the moment you plug the PSU in.

As the case is aluminium it may be possible to add a decent earth wire directly to it but I haven't tried that yet.

Time will tell how good they are long term but so far they're pretty good for the money.
on 25 August 2010
A well-packed, well-presented device, which is quite straightforward to set up and use, even with minimal instructions.

My only gripe is that use appears to impair the touchpad mouse on my laptop - possibly it is a bit "over-active" on the USB?

Were it not for that it would be fine for regular use. For accessing my father's old IDE drives, to rescue personal files, it proved more than adequate.
on 30 March 2010
The housing arrived in two days, was easy to set up and it works like a dream. They even supply a screwdriver.
on 15 February 2011
This is quite a robust unit and it is easy to install the Hard Drive into it. The power adaptor is not the size of a brick which is sometimes the case with items like this, and the socket for the power lead is sturdy.
on 18 October 2010
Houses a 3.5 inch HDD and is easy to install. Even comes with screwdiver for the installation.

I recovered old photos that I thought i had lost when my old PC died.

Very happy with this puchase and have second HDD that needs a housing is I can not install it internally