on 8 July 2009
this is a must for all british comedy fans, good light viewing comedy with well known supporting actors, Peggy Mount @ Pat Coombes are great together with Peggy as the loveable battle-axe in this, she plays the part with charm @ great deal of fun.
Very worth watching all the complete series, A nice cosy 1970's trip back in time , its so easy to see why the public miss all our much loved comedy stars no longer with us, They made TV at its best.
A wonderful series watch them all.
on 22 March 2010
I have waited a long time for this and its worth waiting for.

If you have never seen this series it is quite simply WONDERFUL. It is totally inoffensive, gentle, and very sweet. I remember this when I was growing up and I really loved Pat Coombs who plays Cissy Lupin. She was so dizzy and played it so well. Battle axe Flora is equally so well played by Peggy Mount. All of these characters were and still are totally believable, real and for me very special. I would happily have had a retired for home for gentlefolk if I had ladies such as these.

This is laugh out loud humour, not vulgar, not offensive just real funny lines and ladies. Rather like In Loving Memory with Thora Hird (1920's) except this is more modern day (1970's). You can buy this for anyone who loves old fashioned british humour and you won't go wrong. There is no swearing it wont make you cringe and you can watch it quite safely in the company of anyone.

How I miss these marvellous ladies of comedy. They can never be replaced.
on 24 May 2009
This film , a comedy set within the walls of a dusty and dry university steeped in tradition is worth watching , but unlike many of this eras comedies it is not really remarkable, it is fun and has a good cast but really in my opinion could not be classed as a great classic..There are better films of this genre, however, if like me you collect old films, buy it and watch it, it will brighten a rainy afternoon..
on 11 August 2009
This is so worth watching if you are a lover of good old fun comedy. Both Pat Coombs and Peggy Mount are fantastic and watch out for Cllr Mrs Nugent from Hyacnth Buckets show.
on 30 August 2009
Brilliant,I have waited for this to be released on DVD for ages and it was worth the wait.I remember watching this when I was a child and I loved it then and hoped it hadn't aged badly and it hasn't,Peggy Mount is wonderful to watch and Pat Coombes played her part brilliantly,as she always did so if you want a clean,humorous comedy then this is it and it's a must have for Peggy Mount fans.
I found this film mildly interesting because of the great cast of actors appearing in it. I did not find the story particularly interesting although the location filming was a plus.
Charles Hawtrey appeared in a few Group 3 comedy films and he is his usual self before becoming "Mr Carry On" a decade later. A young Ronnie Corbett is also in the film.
Although Duncan MacRae is well cast as the difficult Prof Hayman and Joseph Tomelty as college porter and poet on the run, Patrick Barr seems too young and somewhat miscast as Sir Archibald Asher. Diane Hart is the love interest.
Directed by Terry Bishop who worked on many second features and television episodes this is not the best of his output.
on 24 April 2013
These comady classics are so throughly fantastic when comady was alowed to make you laigh in every way to any one who likes to laugh watch and enjoy
on 25 June 2010
a young woman,mistaken for another,in very sober,. dress,is considered too racy for the 1950 scottish university.to which she arrives looking for a lost irish poetry genius.mayhem,drunken nights follow,students in evening dress,waltzing,two stepping to a proper band.no sign of hip hop,raves,cider,or any other susbances,and they all really enjoyed themselves.a step back in time if you remember that far back,and a delight to look at how young students got their jollies if you don't go that far back.most of these wonderful actors are alas now gone ,but with these old black and white films.thy really are immortal
on 4 February 2017
The black and white photography was good and so was the print copy and sound. The acting was good. I also found it interesting to see scenes of Glasgow University in the early 1950's. And seeing Ronnie Corbett in a very early film role was a surprise. However, I found the pace rather slow and the humour raised a smile rather than a laugh. It seems to me that it was the script/plot that let this film down. I suspect that fans of this era of British film will enjoy seeing this dvd, but for me it was a curiosity that has not really passed the test of time. Maybe I will appreciate it more on second viewing, but at the moment I have no inclination to watch it again.
on 6 November 2009
Simple nostalgic old fashioned bullying old lady comedy - what a blast from the past.