Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

Format: DVD|Change

on 6 August 2009
Let me say this right off the top: "How To Be" is not a movie for everyone. It has an eccentric, dry british humour and a slow pace. It is also brave enough to show both the likeable and unlikeable (inotherwords, human) aspects of its characters.

"How To Be" is a quirky little film, made on a shoestring budget, which makes a positive impact due to the devotion of its cast and crew. The film is well acted - Robert Pattinson as Art and Rebecca Pidgeon as his mother shine here - and is lovingly directed and written. The production values are low, but it is such a personal story that this soon becomes unimportant.

As mentioned, you don't always like the characters, but with patience you come to realize that this is what life is all about - taking the good and the bad, and loving others and yourself regardless. Ultimately you come to understand each of the characters and gain some insight into humankind. They're all three dimensional people, with problems and hang ups that sometimes cause them to act out their fear and pain - just like the rest of us.

I loved this movie.
on 29 April 2010
I won't lie, like the majority I bought this film because I am a fan on Robert - and just so people know I love the majority of films comedies, romances, action etc and that I am not just writing a nasty review for the hell of it (this is my first one) -
But this comedy is far to dark.. nothing perticularly funny happens in this film, unless you think funny is laughing at someone who is heavily depressed and no one is helping him. I was optimistic when I saw the advert but the advert contains most of if not all the parts which are trying to be funny. I have a big sense of humor and laugh literally at most things, but this was just upsetting!

The worse thing was that I really WANTED to like this film, which made it all the more dissapointing. and nothing really happens in this film... he just gets more and more troubled throughout the film... it is truly horrible.

I really wanted to like this film, but despite it's awful storyline I have to say Robert really is a good actor. but I definatly wouldn't suggest anyone to buy it..
on 6 June 2009
I thought Robert's performance as well as the other actors in this film were well played. They are very true to life, which in this film makes it quite depressing. You truly relate and feel compationate for the thes characters. I don't think much of this film in the comedic aspect, but definately a good drama.
on 18 June 2009
It's a tender, funny, talented story telling about a young strange man in his "quarter life crisis" who's trying to find the roots of his unhappiness, failure and complex of inferiority. The fans of Robert Pattinson can ascertain his acting skills, his capability of portraying both a stunningly beautiful vampire and a clumsy human being (Art in the film). Note, in this film Robert pretends to have neither voice, nor ear, and he plays the guitar outrageously badly (one more point in his favour as an actor). Special attention to your actors Johnny White and Mike Pearce (playing Art's friends Ronny and Nikki) and the pub scene where the three young men are acting really drunk after numerous clapboards and pints.
on 31 January 2014
Certainly showed a different side to Rob .Cant say I particularly liked it ,totally out of touch parents,inept son difficult to
like ,strange friends .But not surprised he usually picks strange films to make can't think this made any money ,will not bother to keep next visit to Charity shop will get my copy.Not prejudiced have kept all other RP films not just Twilight but Bel ami Cosmo Remember Me Ashes etc as I do watch films again but not this one.
on 27 May 2009
I loved this film! I really didn't think I would and I only actually bought it because it looked a bit daft - if you can't laugh with it you could at least laugh at it - but I thought it was fantastic. Art is beyond adorable, and his friends are pure comedy genius, particularly Ronny. Watch the extended scenes on the bonus features too, they are like outtakes and very very funny.
Oh, and I agree with other reviews that it can seem a bit dark in places, but to be honest, I found that in general Art's ridiculously self-aware depression was more sweet than tragic.
on 15 June 2009
Yet another great performance from Rob Pattinson. This is a little gem - sadly I probably wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for Rob's meteoric rise to fame which would have been a shame. This film is both hilarious and sad - great acting and not only from Rob, it's been very well cast - a great little film.
on 23 May 2012
It is a very sad, emotional story, but Robert Pattinson delivers it to the full!!! I've watched it three times already, and every time I find my self crying not with pity for Art but because I empathize with him. The movie shows an image for our society since everybody has their own problems and don't bother looking at the person right next to them. Even worse they actually project the situations caused their problems in the first place, to the others causing them the same results of sadness...
on 18 June 2009
Really enjoyable watch, I woiuld recommend it if you just want to lay back and unwind.
on 30 October 2009
How To Be is a great film! While technically the plot is depressing (it's hard getting people to watch it with me because they think it sounds depressing), the feel of the film is much more upbeat. It's full of subtle comedy, emotion and a sweet sense of realism that anyone who has ever been confused in their life can relate to. You really get to attached to Art and it's a joy watching him grow and find himself.
This movie is not the type for everyone, there is no slap-stick comedy or obvious jokes, but I recommend giving it a try, you'll love it!

Note: If you live in the US, this DVD won't work in your DVD player...it isn't formatted correctly. I'm able to watch it on my computer because I can switch the DVD drive's 'world region', but I can't watch it on my TV. I recommend waiting for the US version to be released in November.

The shipping was VERY fast...it arrived in less than a week after I ordered it, from England to the West Coast in less than a week, it was great! I would recommend Amazon.co.uk to anyone!