on 28 July 2017
Wonderful to hear this album complete again after 50 years +. Immediately transported back to our "courting" days ( an old fashioned word now!) My wife to-be lived this side of the Mersey and at that time the area was alive with "Merseybeat". There was an abundance of very talented Groups who along with their own sounds ever so much emulated the Beetles. A great and exciting time to be young.
This album really demonstrates the tremendous unique talent was already present in early "Beetles".
I recommend this for everybody but especially for all 70+ plus folk like myself who were around at that important and romantic era of British pop music!
3 people found this helpful
on 30 April 2015
Oh My God, Am I So Happy To Have This Album, I Have Been A Massive Fan Of This L.P. For As Long As I Can Remember,
When I Finally Got This Album Delivered To Me , I Was Jumping Up And Down With Glee And Doing Somersaults ...Erm Well That"s Not Strictly True I Am 52 Years Old For Heavens Sake , I Shall Just Get On With My Review Then Eh !
After The Release Of Their Phenomenal Debut Album " Please, Please Me , The Boys Were Still Getting Used To Being Famous ,
They Then Went Back Into The Recording Studios To Start Recording " With The Beatles ,
Released On 22nd November 1963 And Entered The U.K. Charts On 30th November 1963, And Of Course Advanced To The Number 1 Spot,
Where It Remained There For An Amazing 21 Weeks ( CONSECUTIVELY ) And Replaced The Please,Please Me Album At The Top Of The Charts ..WOW.
Now With This Remastered 180 Gram Mono Vinyl Release, We Can Relive This Astonishing Album Once Again , Listening To The Beatles Magic As If We Are Hearing It For The First Time, Brilliant Tracks Such As , It Won"t Be Long , Little Child An Please Mister Postman , On Side 1. Has Never Sounded So Good , Perfect Sound Quality, Then On Side 2. We Have The Fantastic Chuck Berry Track " Roll Over Beethoven Expertly Sung By George And Quite Possibly One Of His Best Vocal From The Early Beatles Years...But John Totally Blows Our Minds With The Pure Rock "n Roll Track " Money ( that"s what i want) , Man That Must Have Hurt Singing Out That Song With So Much Raw Power, BRILLIANT .
This Album Has Got To Be Heard With The Volume Up Loud And Proud ...And To Heck With The Neighbors ... Oh Dear Now I m In Trouble .
So Do Yourself An Enormous Favor And Treat Yourself And Enjoy Listening To This Outstanding Album In All It"s Glory And Buy This Mono Vinyl Album....You Shall Just Love It.
on 12 October 2017
Back when vinyl was all there was, this was the first album I bought with my own money from a Saturday job. From the stunning cover the the beautiful collection of songs, it still rocks me sideways. A powerful yet instantly accessible piece of classic 60s poprock, Highly recommended.
on 17 May 2012
I first heard this album in the late 1960s as a 14 year old and was always amazed by the energy and freshness of the music and performances - well I just updated to the CD and the magic is still there, plus the CD packaging - rather than being a downgrade from an informative record sleeve - is a great improvement by including lots of pics and info not available on the original album (as far as I remember).
The sound quality is FAB and I've read reviews about the basic stereo effect - well I first discovered this in the late 60s (when record buyers were given the choice of buying the Mono or the Stereo version) and I used to be fascinated by how I could tune out the guitar, bass, drums or vocals by turning the balance control. It was a great way to hear how the arrangement was put together and the balance on this CD is identical to those originals - I wouldn't want to see that changed as it is an original feature of those times, and it was a great advancement on the Mono recordings before it. You'll hear the same stereo sound on all the early Beatles records. This isn't just great music - it's also great history and I'm on cloud 9 listening to it as a write (actually 'I wanna be your man' has just started so I need to get up and dance) - bye!!
on 30 April 2014
To my eternal shame be it spoken, I considered myself a bona fide Beatles fan without ever having dipped into their second album. I always thought that the Beatles 'got good' around about Rubber Soul, and that the early pop was fine but inessential. Well, this album blew away that misconception. It certainly is pop, and there's not the experimentation of the later albums, but it is so uncompromisingly joyful that it can't help but lift your spirits. The energy of the band is immense, displaying the fact that they more than paid their dues as a live proposition before fame came knocking. Even if they'd never gone on to Strawberry Fields and I Am The Walrus, this would stand as a milestone in contemporary music. My kids love it too, jiving round the living room in merry abandon whenever I put it on.
VINE VOICEon 14 August 2017
One of the Beatles top albums, I loved their early work more than their later stuff. Its great to hear it as it was back then in Mono only on a hifi system instead of my boxy record player I had back then. Yeah Yeah Yeah, those were the days.
on 4 September 2010
Giving a review mark to a Beatles album is difficult. Should you mark against other Beatles albums? Or against albums issued at about the same time? Or an overall mark against all albums by anyone at any time? Moreover, in my case this album is so familiar to me from my youth that I can play the tracks in my head.

It is by no means the best Beatles album (so not 5). It is worth listening to (so at least 3). Despite the 2 channel mix, I prefer the Stereo version to the mono, and the 2009 version does seem to be well done. So I give it 4.

As for the songs and performances, it is difficult to be objective - it is as much nostalgia as music for me.
on 28 March 2017
Legends
2 people found this helpful
on 6 October 2011
This is not the best Beatles album, by quite a long way. But it is important for any students of the Beatles' incredible metamorphosis from pub band playing covers to the most ground-breaking combo of our times. The journey from this one extreme to the other and various shades in between is now a quite fascinating historical study, having started almost 60 years ago.
Some tracks are quite forgettable, but this is more about the group still testing its wings. The fact that there is little sign of the genius to come makes it more fascinating.
on 17 March 2017
Doesn't need a review just the name says it's good by the Beatles.