HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 13 May 2017
Recorded in Paris in October 1977 and March 1978 but rooted in the insanity of a financially crumbling New York City over 3500 miles away - the Stones embraced Punk like they were born to the manor - albeit a more grotty manor than the ones they were used to in tax exile. "Some Girls" rocked – two fingers up to everything – ludicrously un-PC – so Rolling Stones – and I loved it.

But for me this November 2011 Universal Republic Records 2CD 'Deluxe Edition' is a mixed bag of great music and truly lacklustre presentation (why is any fan of The Stones surprised by this). Here are the far away eyes, beasts of burden and respectable reconstruction details...

US released 21 November 2011 - "Some Girls: Deluxe Edition" by THE ROLLING STONES on Universal Republic Records B0016235-02 (Barcode 602527840550) is a 2CD Reissue with 12 New Tracks on Disc 2 that plays out as follows:

Disc 1 - "Some Girls" (40:44 minutes):
1. Miss You [Side 1]
2. When The Whip Comes Down
3. Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
4. Some Girls
5. Lies
6. Far Away Eyes [Side 2]
7. Respectable
8. Before They Make Me Run
9. Beast Of Burden
10. Shattered
Tracks 1 to 10 are their 14th British (16th American) album "Some Girls" - released 19 May 1978 in the UK on Rolling Stones Records CUN 39108 and the same day in the USA on Rolling Stones Records TP 39108. Produced by THE GLIMMER TWINS - it peaked at No. 2 in the UK and No. 1 in the USA. All songs written by Mick Jagger & Keith Richards except "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)" which is a cover version of a Temptations song written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong.

Disc 1 THE ROLLING STONES were:
MICK JAGGER - Lead and Backing Vocals and Rhythm Guitar
KEITH RICHARDS - Lead Guitars, Keyboards, Bass and Backing Vocals
RON WOOD - Lead Guitars, Pedal Steel Guitar (Tracks 2, 6 and 10) and Backing Vocals
BILL WYMAN - Bass

SUGAR BLUE (James Whiting) - Harmonica on Tracks 1, 4 and 7
DON WAS – Bass on Track 6
MATT CLIFFORD – Percussion on Track 6
JOHN FOGERTY and DON WAS – Handclaps on Track 8
All songs written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards except for "We Had It All" - written by Troy Seals and Donnie Fritts (a Waylon Jennings cover from 1973) and "Tallahassee Lassie" and "You Win Again" which are Freddie Cannon and Hank Williams cover versions.

A word about the original artwork versus this reissue - I've 14 vinyl copies of the British "Some Girls" album bought across the decades in a failed attempt to get all the different colour-coded sleeves in the one place. In fact I'm certain no one seems to know the truth about how many different sleeves there is for this 1978 LP (six, seven, eight who knows?). Perpetuated by the hardback book in the ludicrously overpriced Super Deluxe Edition - the common consensus is that there are six variants - five of the original Peter Corriston 'Rolling Stones As Drag Queens' die-cut sleeves and a further sixth 'Pardon Our Appearance – Cover Under Reconstruction' second-pressing variant because the offending originals had to be withdrawn due to legal pressure.

As ever our entirely angelic celestial-choir of misogynistic British ne're-do-wells had deliberately courted controversy with their saucy artwork and less than subtle songmanship - especially on the truly incendiary lyrics to the title track that names the sexual peccadillos of women from all sorts of racial backgrounds (black ladies come out best although Michael may not have enough Huntley's Jam for them). So why the legal recall - under the lurid adverts for strapless bras with elasticised inner pockets, perma-styled and care-free wigs (boy cuts an option) were die-cut holes on the front sleeve under which could be seen smiling mugshots of very famous ladies. But Raquel Welch, Lucille Ball, Farah Fawcett-Majors and the estates of Judy Garland and Marilyn Monroe were all amongst the celebrities who didn't dig the artistic joke and filed against their images being used on what was then perceived as being a platter of schoolboy sexism railed loudly against by upstanding society types like the Reverend Jesse Jackson. American artist Peter Corriston had done Led Zeppelin's magnificent "Physical Graffiti" double-album die-cut sleeve in 1975 and would do the next three Stones albums too - "Emotional Rescue", "Tattoo You" and "Undercover".

I mention the sleeve's history because this particularly gutless American-based Deluxe Edition uses the 'Under Reconstruction' reissue artwork instead of the different coloured originals – a sanitised image that is about as shocking and appealing as a smelly sock in a University Student’s laundry basket. All four of the gatefold flaps on the inside of the 2CD set are the same – insanely dull snippets and close-ups of the reconstructed artwork that show little or no imagination. So what do you get? There are a couple of new black and white photos of the band in the studio in the 24-page booklet - the witty assessments of each band member as if Mick, Keith, Ron, Bill and Charlie were women around the edges of the back cover and the song titles that were in tiny print beside the garish Magazine Ads for lady products are blown-up to take a page each. And finally there are some excellent but short liner notes called "Love And Hope And Sex And Dreams" by ANTHONY DeCURTIS (the title is a lyric from "Shattered"). DeCurtis explains about the backdrop to the LP's inspiration – New York City – a town in the grips of serial killer Son Of Sam, financial ruin with landlords torching slums for the insurance money (the Big Apple was famously bailed out by President Ford) while a strange mix of decadent Disco, bare Punk and bloated Rock music filled the nightclubs, stadiums and bars. But again the liner notes sloppily miss out guest credits for the album on the final pages like they didn't exist (see my list above for details) and there's zip discussion of the new recordings. And why didn't someone print the lyrics for an album that was in part defined by its radical and no-holes-barred words? It all feels like less instead of more somehow. The Rolling Stones used to be so Rock 'n' Roll - but now they're so corporate-safe. Thankfully there's the music that includes some very cool new entries...

Disc 1 is the STEPHEN MARCUSSEN and STEWART WHITMORE Remaster done in 2009 and doesn't pretend to be anything new even though some hated it (I think it's brilliant). The second CD of new tracks (supposedly outtakes) was done in Paris and New York in 2011 and mastered by the same duo. Both sound storming to me.

The first Rolling Stones LP to benefit from Ron Wood's official presence in the five-piece band turned out to be a barnstormer. Side 1 opens with the irresistible "Miss You" – that fantastically sexy rhythm that's neither Rock nor Disco but somewhere in-between – Jagger's Puerto Rican girls lyrics so racy yet so true - Sugar Blue and his slinky Harmonica part and the Mel Collins Saxophone solo that seals the deal. What a bloody winner. With the brilliantly funny and knowing "Far Away Eyes" on the B-side – the US 45 of "Miss You" on Rolling Stones 19307 went to No. 1 in June 1978 and deservedly so. "When The Whip Comes Down" is the first sign of Punk - a fantastic little rocker that took on a life of its own when they did it live. Quite why they follow Whip with a Temptations cover version is anyone's guess - but their very Stones take on the 1971 R&B No. 1 of "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)" fits perfectly. You also hear those duelling guitars on this incredibly muscular remaster with Ian McLagan's Hammond Organ contribution barely audible.

Even now I can recall the first time I heard the utterly astonishing title track "Some Girls" - shock and awe and just a little appalled too. How could anyone be saying this stuff? You know you're in trouble when it opens with Sugar Blue's fantastic Harmonica warble. With lyrics like "...some girls give me children I never asked them for..." and "...some girls take the shirt off my back and leave me with a lethal dose..." - the song was never going to get on the Sunday Hymn Sheet for Westminster Abbey. But in its defence (if that’s the right way to phrase it) the words were true in Jagger's brain and many didn't like that in-your-face stance. But re-listening to it now and that stunning Harmonica/Guitar combo makes it a bit of an angry masterpiece for me. The rip-roaring and equally snarling "Lies" ends Side 1 with the core five-piece band sounding more vital than they had in years.

Side 2 opens with the countrified preaching song "Far Away Eyes" – Ron Wood's Pedal Steel Guitar perfectly complimenting Jagger's hilarious song-on-the-radio story (send 10$ to the church of bleeding hearts in Los Angeles). Back to Punk and heroin with the President on the White House lawn and no problem that can't be bent - "Respectable" became a single too and another live thriller. Keith's "Before They Make Me Run" is the forgotten song on the album and while it's a half-decent bopper you can't help think that Jagger's vocals would have lifted it out of the ordinary. But all is redeemed with a lethal one-two of "Beast Of Burden" and "Shattered" - the two aspects of the Stones I love - melody one moment - snotty rockers the next - and brill at both.

I genuinely hadn't expected much of Disc 2 - but it's got some corkers amidst the good and merely ordinary. Ian Stewart gives it some Jerry Lee Lewis on the piano-pumping bopper "Claudine" where a wee bit of instrument-echo makes the song feel Fifties. But then we're hit with a total gem and something you can't help but feel should have been on the album or at least a B-side to say "Miss You" - the Punky and very un-PC "So Young" where Mick is clearly tempted by the flesh of girls on the school run rather than the office pool (it's a federal offence). They Countrify "Do You Think I Really Care", Blues Boogie "When You're Gone" (with Jagger on Harp) and Piano Ballad "No Spare Parts". Of the others I like the raw "Keep Up Blues" about Italian Suits and keeping up with the fashionistas and their take on the hank Williams classic "You Win Again" is the best of the covers. Jagger brings it all home with a Piano and Vocal on "Petrol Blues" - a track that suspiciously sounds like an actual demo from the period.

The album "Some Girls" still stands up and in 2018 is amazingly 40 years young. But while there is moments on that second disc that evoke the old Stones magic - I still wish the packaging wasn't so lame.

Time to get up and get into something new which they and artist Corriston would do on 1980's "Emotional Rescue". In the meantime don a 100% miracle fibre wig, slip on those red leatherette stilettos and get whipped by this Rolling Stones bad boy. In the comfort of your own home of course...
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
4 people found this helpful
on 13 July 2017
This was my very first Rolling Stones album and so it has a very nostalgic feel for me. It came out when I was 13 and was a 14th birthday present for me. I don't know what happened to that copy. I thought I would like to hear it again and felt that having on vinyl would be the ideal way to reacquaint myself with it.

I must say that I registered very slight disappointment in the cover. Originally the outer cover had holes which only revealed the faces within when the inner sleeve was in place. On this version, there are not holes, just the photos permanently on the cover. I know it's a trivial point so I won't dwell on it.

On the positive side, this is pressed on heavy duty vinyl, which is far better than the original copy I had nearly 40 years ago.

So what of the music? This is an interesting album, which marked a return to form. I understand that the Stones were experiencing a decline in popularity during the 1970s and the music world was in thrall to disco and new wave/punk music. I think the band was canny enough to embrace these trends. The opening track, Miss You does certainly nod to disco and songs like Shattered and Respectable have a harder edged new wave feel to them.

I have just played the album through twice and it has been an unalloyed pleasure. Every song is enjoyable and I am sure that I have enjoyed it more than I did when I last listened to it 30 years ago. I think that when I got to listen to their earlier songs, I didn't think that they were as accomplished on Some Girls. I am not sure of this opinion now. I now believe it is an exceptionally well played and executed album and I much prefer it the one that critics considers the greatest Stones album, Exile on Main Street, which I find hard to like.

I like the three songs that are slightly less than the usual fayre. The country and western parody Girl with the faraway eyes is still funny. I loved the cover of the Smoky Robinson song, Just My Imagination and the Keith Richard song Before they make me run. He is not a great singer but the song evidently meant a lot to him, given that he was in grave danger of a long jail sentence for heroin use in Canada.

This is an excellent album that I have loved getting to hear after all this time.
on 18 June 2018
In 1978, the disco boom had taken over the charts, thanks to the previous year’s “Saturday Night Fever” and everyone, it seemed, from Abba to Roxy Music were encouraged to put out a disco influenced single. Why, even The Stones got in on the act. The result was the extremely impressive disco/funk groove of “Miss You” which showed people that they were able to diversify. It was also the first album to feature Ronnie Wood as a full band member.

Overall, “Some Girls” is considered to be the band’s best offering for six years, since 1972’s “Exile On Main Street”. It is very much a New York album, with Big Apple references prevalent throughout. Indeed, Mick Jagger said of it -

“The inspiration for the record was really based in New York and the ways of the town. I think that gave it an extra spur and hardness. And then, of course, there was the punk thing that had started in 1976. Punk and disco were going on at the same time, so it was quite an interesting period”.

It also has a decadent seediness to it in songs like “When The Whip Comes Down”, the saucy “Some Girls” and the invigorating “Beast Of Burden”. Mick Jagger is in full leery mode on the funk rock of “Shattered” and “Respectable” and reprises his “Dead Flowers” from “Sticky Fingers” country-hick voice on the oddly appealing “Far Away Eyes”. The is a strong case towards the fact that Jagger wrote a lot of this material on his own, with possible help from Wood, as Keith Richards was pretty drugged-up and embroiled in court cases at the time. It does seem very much like a Jagger album (Richards’ “Before They Make Me Run” excepted).

Their cover of The Temptations “Imagination” is acceptable too. Nowhere near the original, but they put their own stamp on it.

Despite the album coming out at the height of punk, the music cognoscenti respected it, so too did the punks. So much for “No Elvis, Beatles or The Rolling Stones..”

The album has always had something of a tinny sound to it, however, and no amount of remastering seems to be able to correct that.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 April 2016
One of the great joys of a band's longevity is that, with a massive body of work built up, you can dip back into it and really appreciate it when, like them (one presumes), you're older and wiser. When 'Some Girls' came out in 1978, I was in the thrall of post-Punk and New Wave. People talked of 'Some Girls' as a return to form, and a response (although they'd deny it) from the band to the rage and energy around them. Well, I'm writing this in 2016, a shade under forty years since it was first released, and I can hold my hand up and say I was wrong about it. This is a superb album. The successive remasters - and I think this is one of the best - has revealed that Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards layers of guitars (and of note is that Ronnie Wood plays a lot of pedal steel guitar here) are really quite complex and weave an intricate pattern through even some of the simplest material. The Wyman / Watts rhythm section is tremendous throughout. Funky here, rocking there, always way cool. There's also some fine cameos from the likes of Sugar Blue on harmonica. However, I think the real star here is Mick Jagger. This is a great vocal album, and lyrically, he's on top form. He adopts slightly different vocal personae - from the sarky rock and roll socialite in 'Respectable', to the besotted, haunted lover of the fabulously funky 'Miss You', to the slightly puzzled and occasionally paranoiac protagonist of 'Shattered', through to the yearning lover of 'Beast of Burden', and the blue-collar barfly of 'Faraway Eyes' it's a vocal tour-de-force from a much-maligned character. Jagger is great throughout, and I think this is one of his finest hours. In this Super Deluxe edition, there's some extra tracks, which are really pretty great, especially the surprising version of Donnie Fritts' 'We Had It All', some postcards, a poster and a vinyl 7" rarity. Sure, it's perhaps a bit over-priced, but, call me a sucker, I love it, and I love this album - even if it did take me a while to really appreciate it's many qualities.
on 21 March 2016
The last undeniably classic Rolling Stones album. They thought Keef's Toronto bust might send him up the river for a few years so Jagger & Co. retreated to Paris to record as many songs as possible, the idea being they would have all this stuff in the can to release as "new" material and new albums whilst Keef served his jail sentence. (Jagger even said if Richards when away for some time the Stones would tour without him...nice one, Mick.) The first CD of two is the original album and though some complain about the remastering I have three sets of mediocre speakers in this house so I cannot really complain. The second CD is 12 songs from the Paris sessions which were considered for Some Girls at one time or another save Jagger's humble Petrol Blues, a short ditty which is exactly that, a short ditty. Best of this bunch is Keef's tender take of Donnie Fritts' C&W classic We Had It All. Usually associated with Waylon Jennings this is a fine performance by Our Jailbird with Jagger nowhere to be found. Mick does turn in a fine version of Freddy "Boom Boom" Cannon's Tallahassee Lassie. Go figure that one.
on 14 February 2015
Some Girls is really the last great Stones album.

Apart from their stunning début album, and the too often overlooked outstanding "Aftermath", albums hadn't really been the Stones thing for most of the sixties in the same way as they had been for the Beatles. All that changed with the run of 5 star excellence that spanned "Beggar's Banquet" to "Goat's Head Soup". (Yes folks, I do include that one). The presence of Mick Taylor had a lot to do with that.

"It's Only Rock n Roll" and, more notably, the jam session fuelled "Black and Blue", saw a change to the "feel" of their music. No longer sleazy, "from the hips". More rapid pumping from the wrists. Both fine albums, but some element of their former musicality was missing. The contrasting textures of Mick Taylor and Keith Richards were already becoming a thing of the past in the former album, and gone by the second. From now on, with the addition of Ronnie Wood and the loss of Taylor, they would instead have two riff merchants making the sound.

The "Some Girls" album cover states "pardon our appearance we're under construction". And so they were. Re-construction. This is the band re-grouping and getting their act back together. Contributions from anyone outside the 5 members are minimal. (Rumour has it Ian Stewart walked out saying they now sounded too much like Status Quo). It's a great album. A fine balance between Jagger's desire to formally write the songs and Keith's penchant for getting a groove going and see what happens. Each member of the band positively shines. They will never feel quite so much like a band ever again.
on 7 February 2012
I think most people need no introduction to the original album which is the last great Stones album so i will review the bonus disc which is great.There is some old style rock n' roll in tracks such as Claudine and Tallahassie Lassie (complete with groovy handclaps) both are great,some punchy blues and boogie (So Young,Keep Up Blues)and best of all some country rock such as the georgous Do You Think I Really Care and You Win Again all with fine vocal performances by Jagger.Keith Richards vocal on We Had It All is superb a real tearjerker and the disc finishes with the piano boogie of Petrol Blues which somes the second disc up it is loose,rootsy and fun and puts to shame every Stones album since er! Some Girls.So a great value package.If you already own Some Girls or purchased the 2009 re-issue (as i did) and you are a fan of the band i would recommend you shell out again it is worth it.
on 7 November 2015
The excellent 'Beast of Burden' could have been ruined by the silly falsetto singing by Mick. Thankfully, it's too good a track. Likewise, 'Miss You'. 'Respectable' is the band doing some great rock again. Keith provides vocals on the catchy 'Before They Make Me Run'. Apparently, a reference to his drug addiction at the time. The rest are good but not great. Some truly dire albums would follow this one in the eighties, though.
on 15 February 2018
Great Service as the first Cd had a skip replaced it without hesitation so happy to have this Cd in my collection, many thanks Mike
on 12 September 2016
Again the Stones deliver in the sounds department and show what a really great band they are. Pressing on the vinyl is very good. CD's just don't have the same magic for me as vinyl. Same day delivery too. 100 recommendation.