Format: Audio CD|Change

Singer Mr Lazzara would appear to want us to believe that Taking Back Sunday's
fourth album, 'New Again', represents a rebirth of sorts. A new direction.

Guitarist Mr Mascherino has moved on to pastures new since 2006's 'Louder Now'
and replacement Mr Fazzi seems to have filled the hole without creating significant
turbulence. If there has indeed been a renaissance in the intervening period then I
am unable to identify any significant differences or innovations myself.

The formula which has served them well so far seems to have survived intact.

Competent power-pop, energetically played and infused with a greater sense
of melody and lyricism than many of their peers seem able to deliver.

The eleven songs in this collection plough a fairly even furrow; largely similar
in density and tempo throughout - not that I believe this to be a bad thing;
what they do they do very well and I feel fairly certain that the material will
scrub up rather well in live performance.

Mr Lazzara is a functionally effective communicator of the songs; a little shakey at
the top of his register truth-be-told but more than good enough to carry the show.

Drummer Mr O'Connell, now as before, deserves a special mention.
His rock-solid contribution never fails to keep the proceedings firmly on the rails.

Opening track 'New Again' has a chorus not a stones throw away from
'Liar ( It Takes One To Know One )' from their last album and sets the stage
and standard for pretty much everything which follows.

Standout tracks would have to include 'Where My Mouth Is', a cliched but
none-the-less uplifting anthem with a strong and memorable sing-a-long chorus;
'Cut Me Up Jenny', whose staccato rhythm gives a little more space for the song to
breathe than many of its near neighbours and closing track 'Everything Must Go'
which wins the race by a mile and may alone be worth the price of the album.

Mr Kahne's homogenous production lacks subtlety but perhaps that
is apposite given the nature of the raw material at his disposal.

A solid little ensemble, worthy of our attention but showing very
little indication of positive and sustained musical development.

Not Without Merit.
on 3 September 2014
Fantastic album, I've loved it since it was released. Because I loved the album so much I actually re-bought it to include the DVD. For a minor fan there is probably not enough in the DVD to consider re-buying for, but for big fans and for the cheap price this CD/ DVD is available for, I would recommend buying the DVD version. And as a side note, it also includes a lyrics booklet which my previous CD did not, so that alone may be worth considering.

The DVD content displays the band actually behind the scenes (compare Artwork by The Used, not worth the DVD extra) and you see how the band interacts with each other which is quite interesting considering Fazzi's brief time in the band. As they also go through the album track by track, although nothing controversial or major is stated, you do get to find out who came up with certain parts of different songs.

For those who haven't heard the album, this is my favourite of the TBS albums, but tends to not win over the hardcore Nolan-era fans, which I am less a major fan of. Sink Into Me is the poppiest song on the album, so if that's the only track you've heard I wouldn't say it's the most representative. I'd say this is probably their heaviest album, and lyrically more angry. Where You Want to Be is I think the closest style out of TBS' catalogue.

Highlights for me are Swing, Carpathia and Everything Must Go. Even fans who aren't in love with this album tend to agree it has the best closer (Everything Must Go) that TBS has ever written. Overall I would recommend this album
on 3 June 2009
This album is suprisingly good, and has a different sound to previous work. I wasnt impressed with louder now and feel their first two albums especially 'Tell all your Friends' were their best, but this for me has become their second best, its much more edgy and the guitars are fantastic.

Stand out tracks for me are 'cut me up jenny', 'Sink into me' and 'New again' so cant wait to hear these live in Liverpool.

I would highly recommend anybody to buy this album two thumbs from me
on 3 June 2009
I pre-ordered this as I love the previous Taking Back Sunday albums.
'New again' seems to be a bit more mainstream than the others however its still a great album. The 3 stand out tracks for me are 'Swing', 'Everything must go' and 'Where my Mouth is'.
I've currently got 'Swing' on repeat, its very catchy and as always, best played loud!

If you like their previous music I'd reccomend buying this.
on 23 January 2010
This album is bound to be badly recieved by many fans of the original TBS, but anyone who can't cope with their changing style is not a "fan" of this band - their line up has changed more times than the cast of doctor who! This album sees the loss of Fred Mascherino (Guitar), who is replaced by Matt Fazzi - and although Mr. Fazzi is undisputably an equal match, the overall sound is very different - heavier guitars but a lighter sound, if you get what I mean.

The album starts of with the welcoming "New Again" which is a rather good representation of TBS's new sound, and runs straight into "Sink Into Me", surely a new summer anthem. On the whole, the tracks gel fairly well, sounding similar enough to link, but not too much to be samey, though the "Alternative" sound does start to get a bit dry towards "Catholic Knees", an utterly forgetable track. Fortunatly, tracks such as "Capital M-E" (a song about Mr Masherino's departure) and "Everything must go", give the album that extra push, remiscent of their original material

Overall, it's fair to say Taking Back Sunday are a long way from "Tell All Your Friends", and it's a shame to see them fall into mediocracy. However, this album feels more mature than the rest of TBS, and in fairness, it's not the same band. It's good though, guys, its good
on 6 July 2009
Well the album just flies by and i'm finding myself play it through again and again...so i suppose that means it earns the full five stars.

The album is definitely the most commercial/accessible album from TBS to date but I refuse to let that be a bad thing. There was a certain uniqueness to their first two albums and the song structures were more 'complex' but they've always had meldoy and sinalong elements....it's not like they have only just stumbled on the poppier elements of rock.

I don't have a favourite song. They have all taken a turn. For me the advances in this album come through the subtleties....vocal phrasings, drum fills, tempo changes, dynamics. The songs don't drag they get straight to the point then move on and yet there's plenty happening in each song. Looking forward to seeing this set live.
on 9 June 2009
Really boring album.
Dull, repetitive and unimaginative lyrics.
They've completely lost the edge they had on Tell All Your Friends and Where You Want To Be.

Really really found this album completely boring. I love TBS on 1st 2 albums and after initial dislike for 3rd album like that as well. But this album has so little to offer. Really not looking forward to seeing them fill their gigs with songs form this album.

Go get yourself Silverstein's new album, its awesome.
on 1 December 2009
Thought Louder Now was best thing since etc...

Didn't even mind teenage angst of their first few albums on strength of L.N. but sweeeetjesus this is the most derivatively unimaginative album I have ever bought!

sorry guys heartbreak ahead for TBS fans...