on 13 September 2011
Opened the box, and what a pain that was, plugged it in to one of my Windows 7 Dells without bothering with the CD. It immediately went into the found device dialogue, installed the drivers it already had in the OS driver repository and then asked to go on line for the rest of the software. In less than five minutes I had the latest drivers and software package and was up and running. I wouldn't bother with the extrapolated image capture, just use 680x480, as it is about as good as can be expected, i.e. not very. But at 640x480 it is usable and the video image is very good. It also, unusually compared to most others I have had, has a fairly decent sized lead at 1.8m and still works great when plugged into a further 3m extension lead.

The only thing I don't like, and the reason for dropping a star, is that it installs a LifeCam service that is set to automatic startup without mentioning it. But as I don't plan to use the LifeCam all that much, I just need it for occasional use, I changed that to manual startup. But it would have been nice to know about it as I like to have a lean system and to only start things when I actually need them.
on 13 February 2016
For a cheap webcam that works with Lync / Skype for Business / Skype ( many don't work with SFB) this is a good product with a reasonable built in microphone. I use it in my home office, and recipients have told me the sound is clear and the picture is very acceptable.

You dont have lots of fancy zooms or tracking on this but it does the job at a fraction of the price of many others.

The only thing I would like to see is a switch on it so you can turn it off when not in use, otherwise you have to unplug it from the usb port as its an "always on" device which is not secure
on 6 November 2012
Having had an accident with my previous small camera, I was searching for something similar and not too expensive. I chose this one and it has proven an absolute bargain.

It takes clear pictures, it has an excellent microphone, is simple to use and install and so far, I and those on the receiving end of it's work are very happy with it.

The only possible disadvantage is that it is very light and may suffer a similar fate to its predecessor. So far I have been careful - but even should it do so, it wont break the bank to replace it.

The additional bonus is that Amazon's speedy and efficient delivery service will ensure that I am not without a replacement for long.
on 27 August 2013
Have not ever used a webcam before I was a bit apprehensive and did not really know what to expect. The product arrived with basic instructions which really were unnecessary. Attaching the webcam to the computer via the usb was all that was necessary. Windows 7 took over and downloaded the drivers. I was up and ready to go. I am using Skype and I had a slight problem with the audio connection but that was soon overcome. The product is good enough for 5 stars and I would recommend this webcam to any person who is thinking to utilize their computer this way.
on 27 July 2011
I always read reviews before I buy anything for my computer. All the reviews were from 2007 to 2010 not one review from 2011. So I broke with tradition, I purchased the latest from the microsoft. It is the best one for my computer. My acer with window 7 doesn't give me warning "High usage..." and good quality sound & video. Cameras with 5 meg picture quality can not give you better quality pictures because your service provider will limit your bandwidth and you will not see what you have paid for.
on 4 May 2012
The webcam is great with fine picture etc... - can't really add to what others have said here.

My gripe is with the machine specs required. They would have you believe that you need a super computer to make use of this camera - minimum spec is 3GHz P4 & 1GB of ram (2GB under Vista / Win7). I bought the cam anyway expecting to have to reduce the video quality for a lower spec machine, however I found it to work perfectly at 640x480 on an old Athlon 2400+ with 512MB RAM. It may have been closer to 20fps than 30 but that's perfectly fine for Skype etc... I hope this is useful to others with older machines.
on 16 November 2013
The Camera did not come in original Microsoft Box (red box shown in description). It did not come with software, or warranty brochure. It came in a cardboard box with its cable inside a plastic bag. Very displeased. Also to return I have to "ask" seller if I can return and explain reasons for refund. I am waiting for a response and for directions on how to return. It looks like it is difficult, complicated and that I will have to pay for postage. Very unhappy.
on 15 March 2011
Another great purchase from Amazon, within minutes of taking this great camera out of the box, i was conversing with friends and family from the four corners of the globe.If you are looking for a no hassle, easy to use camera, with the simplest of setups, then look no further than the Microsoft LifeCam.I cannot recommend this highly enough.
on 6 October 2012
This was delivered in good time as I am used to with Amazon. I plugged the camera in and the software loaded itself. Works perfectly with Skype, which is why I purchased it. One thing I have not discovered yet is how the stand unfolds to put it on top of a screen, but that is a minor point. Highly recommended.
on 25 December 2013
good service and as always backed by amazon to ensure delivered to satisfaction. great price and delivered in a timely manner as expected. performs well as MS products usually do and replaced a product that would not work with the latest software