on 9 February 2012
Please take the negative reviews of this product seriously. I did not, having had a good dualit kettle before this one which lasted over five years. This one looks good, and boils water fast. But the element in mine has failed after under two years, and cannot be repaired. At this price that's truly scandalous. I will say one thing in its favour though: when the element failed the little orange pilot light still lit up when I switched it on to boil water. At least one part of it has been built to last. If anyone would like to buy a steel housing for an orange pilot light I can offer them one at a knockdown price! Their toasters are great, with replaceable everything: this is just over-priced and badly engineered.
on 19 April 2012
THE GOOD BITS!!!! Fantastic stylish Dualit kettle. My previous one, lasted almost ten years, and bearing in mind I like plenty of cups of tea when I am at home, I think that was very good. It does now have water level indicators built in either side, which does frankly spoil the ergonomics, but that's a small price to pay for an otherwise perfect style icon.

THE BAD BITS!!!! Although I cannot fault the design, the quality of the new style kettle is VERY POOR indeed. My kettle stopped working after just 14 months. Yes, just 14...When you spending this sort of money on a kettle you do expect reliability. Looking at other reviews, it appears that this kettle has a serious problem regarding longevity. I have sent my kettle back, and Dualit say they will send me a new one after insepection.

However, their customer service is very poor for a company that certainly used to be a premier brand. I have had to re-package the kettle and send it to their headquarters. It has cost me £9.50 to return. Dualit customer service have told me that they will NOT refund the postage and packing costs.

UPDATE!!! After two weeks, and plenty of emails, Dualit have now sent me a new kettle. I am out of pocket because of the postage. What really annoys me even more, is that they did NOT even have the decency to enclose a letter apologising for the problem.Why? Maybe they are sick of writing letters of apology...

This will be the LAST time that I ever purchase a Dualit product, which is a terrible shame.

Dulait is/was a premier brand. I don't mind spending £70 plus on a kettle, if the quality of the product warrants the outlay. As I said at the start, the product looks lovely, and my previous kettle lasted 10 years or so. However, it appears that I am not alone in wondering whether Dualit have lost sight of their quality control.
on 2 July 2012
Kettle no longer works and only had it two years - element has failed. This is the second and last Dualit kettle that I will buy. The first one also failed with the same fault.
on 4 November 2012
I had been the proud owner of a Dualit toaster and could not believe some of the poor reviews on the kettles - "surely not" I said to myself as I admired the cutting edge design and imagined the kettle gracing the brand new kitchen worktop. But you guessed it - I have managed a carbon copy repeat of the events descrived in some of the other reviews - and this even more annoying having endured my wife telling all our friends she couldn't believe anyone could pay so much for a kettle! After 8 months the kettle started "over-boiling" which was annoying but did at least give the cupboard door above the worksurface a good steam clean. I consoled myself in the knowledge that I was helping clean the kitchen every time someone had a brew. But this morning I turned the power on and... nothing! Not even the orange light which some previous reviewers have been fortunate enough to enjoy. I had previously checked with a local repair shop about sorting out the "over-boiling" (without my wife knowing) so knew that once the element had given up I was truly scuppered. Got the old kettle out of the Dualit box where I had stored it thinking "what a naff design". It still works and was 1/3 of the price. Apparently you don't always get what you pay for! Or perhaps the old kettle (which my wife bought) was properly priced... note to self, keep out of the kitchen!
The toaster still works great though :-)
44 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2014
Has finally failed just after two years. The case had already fallen off the red light. The red light continues but probably the element has given up. One of the worst things about this kettle is the noise! Perhaps we haven't descaled enough who knows. But for the price I'd expect something far better. We bought this at the same time as the dualit toaster. One side of that stopped working then it failed completely within two years so at least we got a replacement. I'll be steering clear of Dualit in future.
on 25 April 2012
having owned a Dualit toaster for 15 years without any problems I purchased this item with the expectancy of similar quality and reliability.

unfortunately; 16 months after purchase (& outside warranty) the kettle has become very unreliable. The power works when it chooses to and then turns itself off sporadically. This involves the kettle just stopping working & then a few minutes later it starts again, so some sort of loose connection or bad workmanship on the base.

not a cheap piece of kit so you don't expect these sort of problems.
on 19 May 2012
I too bought one of these a couple of yers ago and whilst excellent at boiling, nice design etc. Now the element has gone it is irraplacable as Dualit use some very fancy screws that no ordinary screwdriver will undo so making it impossible to reach let alone change the element - a cheap trick as far as I am concnerned especially when paying out this amount for a kettle. Have now taken the decision to buy a cheaper look alike and when that fails will not be chucking away an excess of money at replacment time. Strikes me as rip off Britan at it's best.
on 21 September 2014
Great looking kettle and boiled very quickly. Note use of past tense as, after less than 10 months use, the element has failed! Looking at other reviews it seems this is far from a one off. Considering the cost of the item and reputation of dualit as a"quality" brand I think this entirely unacceptable! AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!!
on 26 October 2014
An expensive kettle that lasted <3 years before the element went- it then turned out that the element couldn't be replaced (apparently it's a compressed element, whatever that is).

So, pretty and a fast boiler whilst it worked, but an expensive proposition if it can't be repaired.

Now using a £5 Morrisons kettle.
on 26 October 2011
This is the second Dualit kettle purchased this year both have stopped working (and also the Dualit coffee pot has stopped working) and it has stopped working after less than 2 months. We have treated it with kid gloves as there is a warning label attached which says that water must not touch the base. The Dualit kettle range is a completely useless product and totally unlike their very reliable toasters.

Do not buy Dualit kettles.Dualit 72700 dome kettle chrome with black trim