on 17 January 2017
This review applies only to DVD (ASIN:B0002MJT0I). The picture quality is very good despite the modest average bitrate of 5000kbps. The sound is good too and the aspect is as it should be.

If you like zombie and comedy movies, then this is for you. It's a very well made movie. Pegg is great as the unlikely hero and Nick Frost makes a likeable slob. All the characters you hate from the start, fall prey to the zombies. What more can you ask for?
on 5 October 2015
Their masterpiece along with Hot fuzz. A amused and irresistible parody of the genre, with such a rich variety of scenes, ideas and brilliant script and visual solution, that makes it something much better and more than just a parody.
Here cinema is not just a vehicle to tell a funny story, but its language, its references and its mechanism are so well exploited and manipulated to entertain you in a surprising, refreshing and innovative way.
Down to the genius ending, that reveals all the irreverent yet smart british spirit of this brilliant operation
on 31 July 2011
I first saw this movie on my honeymoon in a resort... yeah not exactly the most romantic movie to see whilst on a honeymoon, I know. This is the movie that got me switched on to the whole Simon Pegg and Nick Frost combo (having never seen the so much talked about Spaced). I have to admit that I bought the DVD because I was feeling a bit nostalgic.

This movie is a comedy / horror movie (weird combo) but trust me it does work... I find the comedy style in most Simon Pegg movies to be refreshing and somewhat subtle when compared to the in your face slapstick Hollywood comedic styles. Come to think of it there is a bit carried over from this movie to the movie Hot Fuzz [DVD].. the morning sequence (where Shaun gets up in the morning and goes through his daily rituals in fast sequence of shots) and Ed's `Yeah Boooyyyyyyy!' Not that it takes anything away from either of the two movies. I tend to find Hot Fuzz [DVD] funnier than this one, but this is still a funny movie.

I have to agree with the other reviews when they say that there are scenes with quite a bit of realistic gore in them that might make people cringe. Also, there is slight amount of profanity in the movie... but it shouldn't be too much of a problem as the kids will not be around to watch this one for sure!

All in all a funny movie with a change from American style comedies and it kind of has a compromise ending in the end where it isn't the happiest ending in the world, but at least everyone is sort of happy where they are!
on 24 August 2016
I love Simon Pegg. I love Nick Frost. Having both together along with the rest of the amazing cast is brilliant. Such a good film, along with the two others Hot Fuzz and At Worlds End.

I can't imagine how someone could not have seen this film, but if that's the case - please get this and watch it asap. It'll be your new favourite film.
on 20 December 2017
I can't think of a better British comedy movie than this. I'm a massive fan of anything these guys produce. I'd give it 10 stars if I could.
on 9 May 2016
One of my all time favourite films and not only just British. Nick Frost and Simon Pegg are absolute genius' and this movie is a masterpiece. Cunning British humour, culture and timing make this picture perfect. The foreshadowing is unreal. I would recommend to everyone. i've never met a person who has disliked this movie!
on 27 November 2016
I had to get this DVD to complete the cornetto trilogy , one of Simon peggs and nick frost's best films , a brilliant zombie comedy that doesn't take itself to seriously but that's what I love . Would recommend to anyone who wants to have a good laugh
on 24 August 2013
All the good things that can be written about this film have already been written in past 9 years, hence, there is hardly anything new that I may be able to add. The unique manner in which this film combines smart storytelling, conventional horror, time-honoured sitcom traditions and a dry wit, into one of the most intelligent movies of our times, would have made Robert Bloch (who was the absolute master of mixing horror and humour) proud. Recommended.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 29 March 2014
Absolute classic. I never get tired of watching Shaun (simon peg) use a cricket bat on his father ("he's not my dad!") And who doesn't join in when the Queen song plays in the Winchester; and the drunken girl in their back garden - brilliant. Its one of those must have movies for when you've had a bad day at work and wish your boss was a zombie so you could use a cricket bat on him.
on 30 July 2014
Everything's pretty much been said by now and the later films by the same crew of Wright/Pegg/Frost aren't quite as succinct and pure (and by now the original jokes that get repeated in each have become rather stale by that repetition) but this is still one of the best zombie films ever made. Or one of the best comedic horror films, take your pick. Nothing in the film is extra, everything adds to the plot in pursuit of the conclusion, and it actually holds up to microscopic re-viewing. Great funny British film with moments of great acting, moments of great slapstick and the assured quirky filming style that made Wright famous.