Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(1 star). See all 110 reviews
on 29 May 2017
Not sure why they used English actors for Spanish people......being Spanish and speaking English is quite unique and difficult to do and these actors did not manage to master it. I lasted 20 minutes.
on 7 May 2014
Poor film have not even bothered to watch it all it went to the charity shop I believe such a shame so looked forward to watch
on 4 January 2014
I WOULD NOT GIVE THIS FILM ANY STARS, BUT IT SEEMS THAT THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE, WATCHED IT FOR A SHORT WHILE BUT GOT SO BORED COULD NOT WATCH ANYMORE. AGAIN, TOOK NOTICE OF PREVIOUS REVIEWS AND WAS DISAPPOINTED. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS.
on 10 August 2013
I like Robert Paterson, but the script and direction were terrible. I love Dali. But this is not the film it could have been!
on 2 October 2011
I was so gutted to cannot watch this DVD due to no subtitles! Its same to other DVD - "Love and Distrust"! I only managed to watch "Water for Elephant" and "the haunted airman" which provided subtitles for deaf and hard of hearing people.
on 14 September 2011
i am a big robert pattinson fan and found that though he looked very sexy and played quite a great charactor, the film after 30 minutes became un watchable too complicated to keep along. thinking it just my age and not my decade kind of stuff my mum also a big robert pattinson fan too tried with my father whom very much in to history and has no favorite actors, both them found the same results then me.

not my kind of film sadly
on 18 September 2009
This film has all the appeal of a two day old salad.

Essential this is a romance, or at least it is supposed to be. But the was no passion. No passion between Salvador and Fredrico, no passion for art, for life, for anything. From the outset there is a failure to capture the audience. The portrayals are so false that it impossible to care about the characters.

Considering this is a film about artists, there is a suprising lack of artistry. It is rare that there is nothing positive to say about a film, but on this occasion there isn't. I haven't enjoyed it, and I feel that I have learned nothing from watching it.
on 26 August 2009
I had to return this DVD because it could not be played/viewed in my region. I was surprised that Amazon would send me a region 2 movie knowing I lived in region 1. It was a waste of my time and my money. Sincerely, Paulette Sabol
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ha ha ha ha ha, I watched this two days ago and I'm STILL laughing at the memory of Robert Pattinson's wig/moustache/general acting skills and Spanish 'accent'. Crikey, what an embarrassing mess of a film. Insulting, too, to the memory of legendary film director Luis Bunuel, reduced by Philippa Goslett's script to an arrogant bully. Homophobic or otherwise (at a time when people often were) - Bunuel had more talent in his left butt cheek than 'Little Ashes' director Paul Morrison could even begin to dream of. (He's happy, I notice, to borrow the eyeball slice from Bunuel and Dali's 'Un chien andalou' to spice up his own dreary offerings.)

Where to begin? I was bored from the second this started. Why make it in English with mainly Spanish actors? It's one of my pet hates - make it in Spanish, for God's sake, if you want authenticity, or just admit that you don't and let everyone speak clear English. The dialogue borders on the unintelligible (with no subtitle option) - although, to be fair to the Spanish actors, the worst offender is Robert blooming Pattinson, who delivers his lines like an A-level student who hasn't revised, in a garbled sort of non-accent with twiddly bits.

As for the much-vaunted homoeroticism... 'Little Ashes' is marginally less erotic than a cheese and onion crisp. You do very nearly see RP's manhood, so if that's your bag then live it up - but the love scenes between his Dali and Javier Beltran's Lorca are quite astonishingly lifeless, and as for the shining moment when Pattinson goes solo down the five digit disco... let's just say, if you managed not to wee yourself laughing, I think you're missing a funny bone somewhere.

`Little Ashes' makes `Twilight' look like Citizen Kane... and makes Robert Pattinson look like a cretin. I'd just wait for `New Moon' if I were you. Or, even better, go watch a Bunuel film.
on 20 July 2009
When I first heard about this film, it was only a month before its release on DVD, so I thankfully didn't have long to wait. Not knowing about the film beforehand - due to the poor title not giving anything away - I was very much looking forward to seeing this. It concentrates on the early meeting of three of Spain's must intuitive geniuses and I think they would be truly horrified if they saw this recreation of their being; the film in its entirety is a huge disappointment.

Dali and Lorca's close friendship is featured prominently, with Bunuel almost a glorified extra; the result is utter romantic rubbish, turning what could have been a corker of a movie, into a poor excuse to show two men in love. The emphasis here is clearly placed on Lorca as many examples of his so-called poetry are recited, but very few of Dali's works are recreated, so this again highlights the romantic intentions of its creator.

If you love romantic films, by all means, watch this but if want to learn anything about Dali, Lorca or Bunuel simply buy a book about them as there is absolutely nothing to be learnt here.