on 4 March 2009
(I must note that I own this box and have looked through the contents but am still finishing the previous "welcome aboard" kit)
Well, all in all it's been a bit of a mixed bag as far as these kits go. I had always wanted to do an airfix kit so when the Doctor who ones came out I snapped them up (Having been a fan since childhood it still rates as my all-time favourite program)
These are very detailed kits, I've really been impressed, and the booklet does give you a lot of good tips that can make your model look really fantastic.
That said, the booklet's layout can be confusing and annoying (the building section with base paint colours is seperate to the painting instructions, which means you have to flick through multiple pages to find out what to do, then realise your paint mix has dried while you were looking for what you wanted!)
Not a lot of thought seems to have gone into practicality either - with the WA set, putting the TARDIS actually together had to be completed before the glue set so adjustments could be made, and trying to get the cardboard backing and the console inside took me a while (the cardboard pushes out the side of the TARDIS, the console is meant to sit on a notch in the back that was clearly too high for the matching one on the console) - I can only hope there won't be this trouble with this kit!
The other whinge I had was that the colours supplied are limited - obviously enough when you have to fit some many paints into a small kit anyway - but also that a few of the colours in the 'welcomne aboard' kit have been misprinted (I haven't checked the DiM kit to see if this is the same - I only found the WA errors as I was painting) So if you think something's the wrong colour, check it - you might be right!
That said, I am really enjoying the painting and mixing up my own paints. My younger brother was particularly impressed with the Doctor's face in the WA kit, and I'm learning techniques I can easily put to my other models.
As a final note : Use the model glue in a well ventilated area :D

Overall, I'm still impressed with the kit. It's got some gorgeous details and Im enjoying both putting WA together and the anticipation of DiM. But I wouldn't reccommend the kit for anybody who doesn't have the patience to faff about with it. It seems quite cumbersome to put together in places (though I guess theres many a girl who wouldn't mind holding the tenth Doctor's legs still until the glue dries!)
A good little kit, both of them.
on 5 December 2009
Anyone wanting something static, but creative related to Doctor Who, will do a lot worse than this!

Completion is easy, though one or two bits of the assembly may be tricky for young hands.
on 7 June 2013
When I got my kit (not from this seller) one of the Dalek head stalks was broken off. The booklet tells you which paints to use but sadly they omitted to actually enclose some of them in my kit. Also I had parts left over when I finished and I treble-checked I had completed it exactly as shown.

The paints in the kit are terrible and don't cover very well at all. I bought some other paints from a model shop which covered first time - when I tried to paint the black parts with the original paint it took FIVE coats to only just cover it!!!

All in all its a good kit but just be aware bits of it are not as they are supposed to be - this is a manufacturing fault though nothing to do with seller.

The BBC should have invested in this kit better then maybe it wouldn't have these issues.

Would also be nice to see other kits out there for other Dr Who enemies - ie Cybermen, Sontarens, etc.... There is a massive lack of 'build your own models' on the market!!
on 3 September 2010
Great value for money. If this is for a child a adult will needed because it is quite fiddly and bit awkward
on 4 June 2010
As i said in my review about the other Dr Who air fix model (Dr who and Tardis) Excellent product, comes with all paints, glue and brushes. Took about a week for my daughter to build properly. Really detailed and daleks have special audio and visual effects.
Again, quite tricky to build (id rate it a 3, 5 being the hardest) but really really impressive once built.
Very pleased.
on 3 January 2010
After watching the excellent James May's toys I bought this as a Christmas present for my daughter as she "wanted to have a go". Easy instructions and quick to make, but a not all the bits fit quite as they should, but if you want something as a starter, go for it as it has all the bits you will need including paint. Good value IMHO.
on 21 April 2016