Customer reviews

Need For Speed: Shift (Xbox 360)
Platform: Xbox 360|Edition: Standard|Format: Box|Change

on 31 January 2012
Let me start by saying that I am a big fan of the Need for Speed franchise. I have a good number of the games and enjoy playing the majority of them.

Some have been better than others but overall I love them.

Shift was my first for the X Box and I was looking forward to the enhanced graphics. Surely enough they did not disappoint, the game looks great.

I had some concerns regarding the game play given some contradictory reviews but, again I loved it.

Also you have some nice car and mode options. 3 for 3, looking good.

Sadly thats when it all went wrong.

Firstly I like the customising aspect of the NFS games. You can do it here but its limited at the start. Hopefully as I progress more options will be unlocked. So a negative but not a major problem.

The real no no for me is the lack of multi play.

Its 1 player or online, nothing in between.

I don't play on line. I like to play games with my kids or friends when I have them round.

For some reason NFS now seems, as with many x box games, to have adopted the on line route only. One anticipates so they can make more money from it.

I planned on buying The Run next but note that is also 1 player, so I won't be.

I am sure their are others like me out there who like to play with company at home so why so many game manufacturers are ditching multi play is beyond me, but I will not be buying another NFS game until they bring it back. I will stick with NFS 2 on the PS2.
on 21 September 2009
This game is very similar to the likes of Race Pro, Grid and most of all; Forza 2, it's perhaps even more realistic than any of them, so if you are the typical NFS fan who likes the previous easy handling style games, and doesn't like your racers too realistic this may well be frustrating.

At first I found the game a little unexciting, it has all been done before with Grid and Forza, but I have to say it does grow on you hugely the more you play.
The career is pretty pointless unless you like that kind of thing, the only purpouse of it is to get the BMW M3 GT2 which the game gives you when you have completed and beaten the very last NFS live tour race at Brands Hatch, apart from that all the tracks and cars are already available to play in quick race mode right from the off, and if you find this sort of mode tedious, it gets worse, as it gets tougher the further you progress into the career, the easy mode here is most definitely not for absolute beginners new to racing games and is challenging at first, especially with the new tracks.

Graphics are good and although the aren't mindblowing I have to say that the game leads the way in trackside detail and objects, there is just so much more stuff around the tracks that you just don't see in other games, Donnington for instance, has been done dozens of times in other games, but here you will find yourself noticing new things all around the track.

I have to say I don't like the gimmick of blurring the cockpit when the car goes above 100mph, since when do drivers get blurred vision inside their cars when they go this fast? it is the one chance you get to have a look around the cockpit when you are on a long straight and you can't beacuse the whole thing has blurred away, even the ai's cars blur at that speed, but not the outside world, I don't know whose stupid idea that was to implement this but it was a ludicrous one, especially as the game is trying to be realistic. Another thing is when you crash the screen goes black and white, something you'll either like or loathe. The AI aren't all that either, they make Michael Schumacher seem sportsmanlike, as they will ram you like demented loons for no reason, in reality they would be disqualified for such behaviour, and if you have it set on hard, they seem to get even more agressive, too much to be honest, which can spoil the racing, it seems EA has modelled the Ai not on real life race drivers, who would fear for their own lives and their fellow drivers at such speeds, but on the people who race online; who as soon as you overtake them, will try and ram you off the track, but this isn't Burnout Revenge, its a racing sim. Another complaint; only 3 difficulty levels to choose from, medium is too esay and hard is a tad too hard, of course that's just me, but EA need to take into account that 3 difficulty levels doesn't cover all the different kind of gamers skill levels out there, and if a game is either too easy or too hard it doesnt give much of a challenge. I do wish they would include a custom creatable tournament in the game, where you can create a tournament with any amount of tracks you choose, career tournaments are pathetic with their handful of races, it would be far better than racing 'quick races', not enough racing games offer this and they should. Those gripes aside, I would say everything else is perfectly good.

On a final note, the game has very likely saved the NFS franchise, the in car dashes are fantastic, and the cars handling is great, and whats more the game grows on you, but if you are of the view that you preferred the old games and hate this, don't despair as there are a couple of games out early next year that are similar to the old NFS arcadey games, called 'Split Second' and another called 'Blur' which is made by the guys who made PGR, check them out, there are videos on amazon.

TRACKS: the game does offer mostly new tracks not found in other games, I am so sick of racing silverstone, laguna seca, etc because they are in so many games already, but that aside there are some great new tracks to get stuck into, the track list is as follows:

Alpental

BMW M3 E36
BMW M3 E46
BMW M3 E92
2008 BMW 135i Coupé
2009 BMW M3 GT2 (available in the 'Special Edition' version only)
2007 BMW Z4 M Coupé
2003 Infiniti G35 (V35)
1997 Nissan 200SX (S14)
2009 Nissan 370Z (Z34)
2006 Nissan 350Z (Z33)
2009 Nissan GT-R SpecV (R35)
2008 Nissan GT-R (R35)
2000 Nissan Silvia (S15) spec.R AERO
1999 Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34)
1972 Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R
2007 SEAT Leon CUPRA
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
2007 Lexus LF-A Concept
2008 SCION tC
1986 Toyota Corolla GTS (A86)
2008 Volkswagen Scirocco
2006 Volkswagen Golf GT
22 Comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2009
Well I've had this game for a week now and thought I'd chip in with my view given the 1 star being offered by others.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this game. Yes, it is different from recent NFS incarnations but that was what I expected having read up on it prior to purchase. The game looks fantastic making full use of HD and plays superbly. There's a great selection of cars and tracks to choose from with a range of game options to cycle through. Car battle in particularly had me on the edge of my seat as you try to stay within 5 seconds of the car in front - a real challenge in some cases!

It is tough in places but that makes it all the more rewarding when you overcome that challenge. Last thing you want is a game that is too easy in me view. So, in summary I'd recommend giving NFS a go - it's somewhere in between PGR and Forza and in my view combines the best of both to give great value and longevity.
on 4 December 2011
Like previous NFS games, we are still on a slippery slope. NFS underground 1 and 2 were great back in the day but ever since carbon the quality of these games has steadily declined and Shift is another big dissapointment. Cars handle very unrealistically and the driving aids virtually drive the car for you (I know they can be turned off) Gameplay is dull and after you have played this game a few times you wont ever want to again. Its a shame to see EA desparately churning out NFS games every other week each worse than the last. Nothing to report here. Do not buy this game unless you are a die hard NFS fan, instead try the Dirt games or grid by codemasters I believe.
My rating: 22% Not worth considering
Genre: Racing, Race simulator, Driving
on 17 October 2009
I've seen quite a few reviews from people who have been slagging off the handling of the cars, for various reasons. Only thing i can say about that is, did you expect the cars to go round the tracks as if they are on rails???

I tried the demo on xbox live and loved the whole experience, albeit a short one. Bought the full game and have been even more impressed with it. The sound is great, although the pit-crew guy gets a bit annoying at times as he talks to you in-car. The visuals really add to this game, especially when you hit something at speed and the whole screen goes grey, shaking madly, leaving you unable to do anything of substance until you are no longer disorientated. A nice touch is having to move your head slightly in-car to fully view the rear-view mirror.

The only way to view this game, when racing, is with the in-car view, anything else dilutes the experience imo; just a pity the makers included the out of car views as i can guess that a lot of users will use these instead and miss out.

A word for the AI; definitely the most realistic AI opponents i've raced against. Its refreshing to see computer controlled cars going off the track due to their own mistakes/accidents when racing each other.

You can pick this up and have a race or two and have fun, but you can also get further into it and try to achieve all the star awards, which is a real challenge, but worth it when you conquer a particular track, opponent, or race. You dont need to get involved in any tuning unless you want to.

There are a good selection of race types (time/lap elimination, head-to-head, standard, time attack, etc) so you wont get bored with a particular type.

Definitely recommended for anyone who wants a challenge on track.
on 14 August 2013
Of all the driving games I have played in the last 4 years, only 2 stand comparison with the original SHIFT for exciting all the senses in a way that feels as if I am actually there - in the driving seat, checking out the dashboard and cockpit detail, physically on the road, getting into the zone. No messing about with the circus tricks and ridiculous subteen gimmicks that ruin virtually every other game, and which seem to be the only way the major game developers are willing to go. Apart from the F1 and WRC franchises there are no other games that take circuit racing seriously - mostly what you get is a frustratingly brief taste of how good it could have been...
There are some hiccups on SHIFT (such as the ability to drive under other cars), but I can ignore that (as, driving fairly seriously, I do my best to avoid silly situations) for the sake of the sheer driving pleasure of taking a car out on a proper track against the best AIs ever to grace a driving game.
There are those who swear by FORZA - but I have found FORZA clunky, to put it politely, and rather sterile (it consistently improves, but still a long way off SHIFT), although the car painting has kept me amused for many happy hours when I should have been driving!
I hate the steering wheel-busting extremes of DIRT2. DIRT1 has Pike's Peak, which is alone worth the cost of the game and the slightly clumsy driving set up (still better than FORZA). DIRT3 is the epitome of a game that would have ticked all my boxes, were it not dominated by Formula D (which is so not my cup of tea I should hide under the sofa!). DIRT3 has the best driving experience of them all - but the stuff I like is tucked away very much as an afterthought.
PGR is very stiff and rather bizarre. PGR4 has great scenery.
SHIFT2 addressed some of the idiosyncracies of SHIFT1, but totally ruined the car's relationship with the road, and has a much less user-friendly menu - altogether no improvement, although the night scenarios are absolutely addictive, and very well done. I have no desire to get involved with the other Need For Speed titles.
Codemasters are the biggest let down of the century: the Le Mans 24 hours on GRID is the best driving event ever for sheer atmosphere, despite the lack of any road feel whatsoever (although the open wheel cars are brilliant - a real foretaste of the unutterably superb F1 games. GRID2 has just been sold out to the subteen market lock, stock and dribbling barrel.
TEST DRIVE UNLIMITED is virtually undriveable, and the second game makes it impossible to earn enough to buy a fraction of the cars in single player.
MIDNIGHT CLUB LOS ANGELES I found a bit hard to get going, but once I twigged it, has given me almost as much amusement as CRAZY TAXI. Nice to drive, and great cityscapes.
RACE PRO takes a bit of getting used to, but some of the combinations of car and track are very convincing.
WRC is a splendid attempt to enable the full Rally experience - which is the most spectacular motor sport on the planet for both driving skill and scenery, and has yet to be made available in High Definition...but the gaming franchise is very heartening, and, if they keep improving at the rate they have attained so far on the 3 available games,is well worth supporting on a long term basis. They should eliminate the drifting which has somehow crept in on the 3rd game, and concentrate on what they are selling - Rallying! The lovely Ken Block has demonstrated once and for all that circus tricks and rallying don't mix.
Finally - F1. I need say nothing - it speaks for itself! Bernie Ecclestone has at least done one thing right! Given the franchise to Codemasters - it remains to be seen if they ever get tempted to introduce drifting or swap the cockpit view for circus tricks...if they do I will shoot myself.
Just in passing - I abandoned live racing as the idiot subteen set terminally infested what was a great way to go up against and enjoy driving with real people. I mean no disrespect to the little darlings, but I never liked car abuse at any age! I am teaching my grandson not to crash. He has more fun learning how to drive realistically, and his toys last longer. Win-win, really.
on 6 February 2011
To me this game is crap..The car is oversteering all the time even on straight road ..Cannot enjoy it..I was waiting for this game as I like need for speed games because they are not so lifelike like forza but this is ridicoulus ..That bloody car just cant behave..not fun to me at all..there is another review here explaining this better then me I just wanted to help pull down the stars so other can consider..thanks..
on 28 September 2009
NFS used to be great fun, that is until they started making it about street racing and basically trying to create the Fast and the Furious film on a console. It got too glitsy, too 'bro, dude bro pimp your ride bro, like far out add some mad colours so it hits off on the street man'-ey and I pretty much lost interest in the series after Underground 2.

I slotted this in the dvd tray and sighed half expecting Vin Diesel to grunt something at me any second, but no, I was met by excellent graphics, a nice level of realism and nothing annoyed me. It's slick, satisfying and strikes the perfect balance between simulation and arcade racer - you can't really pick up and play it well unless you've played before but by the end of a 3 lap race you've got it and want more.

Firstly you can adjust the driving aids to suit your style, if using a gamepad I would recommend that you switch to control setup 2 if you want to change gear manually and set abs-on, tc-low and sc-off. I initially turned them all off but I tend to have the most fun with this setup as it still allows powersliding exiting a corner and requires that you only brake heavily in a straight line, also once you start to tune your cars it can become difficult to control the wheelspin in a straight line (even at 160mph) without the tc.

Second, the cars: These are great and all exhibit unique handling characteristics, there's no generic feel, the difference between FWD, RWD and AWD is nicely judged, the engine sounds are pretty much perfect and the detailing wonderful. The damage system is good and will only really dent your progress if you say hammer the Veyron you're driving into parts of the Nordschleife at 200mph. The effect when you crash is also a welcome addition.

The tracks look great and the trackside folks wave you along your merry way with smiles, claps and occasional punches in the air. Spa has nice mountains in the background, Silverstone is the most accurate I've ever seen on any game (in lap-feel and detail) and the track surfaces themselves are very accurately rendered. To be quick you have to stay off the larger kerbs (excellent sound when hitting them) and be sure to come off the brakes in time as the gravel traps and tyres will punish you. There are classic racing tracks mixed among make-believe tracks but I like that, it's more exciting and the created ones are just as fun. The drift tracks are actually quite hard with all the aids turned off, and I like that too.

Gameplay is fun, the career mode is a bit linear but gives variety with 'invitational' events that let you drive a specific car for one race, Lotus Elise only for example. Then theres the sort of driving duel races where it's you vs. one AI chump in two closely matched cars, Viper Vs. Ford GT for example. This leads me onto the 'points' system. You get points for either being accurate or aggressive, do a clean sector you get points, push all the other cars off track and you also get points. The more points the better but you'll quickly find that you have to use both philosphies to win. On balance it's not a bad idea and it does encourage you, but I wouldn't worry too much, the desire to be quickest trumps it.

After purchasing this game I found that it has been created in large part by the same games designers behind GTR, GTR:2 and GT Legends. These games are perhaps my favourite on the PC and I'm lucky enough to have a G25 wheel to enjoy them with. I have no doubt that NFS: Shift is a console racer for people like me. What it's not for is people who watched the latest Fast and Furious film and thought it was great.

4 stars, it's the best racer on the xbox 360 at the moment and handles very sweetly with analogue throttle and brakes. It doesn't get 5 because it could do with a few more cars and tracks and most importantly an offline multiplayer splitscreen mode. Still, I'd give it 89%.

*Edit: I should add that it's a relatively difficult game, more difficult than Forza and certainly Dirt 2. You have to be increasingly gentle and certainly progressive with the controls which are very sensitive. There are also extensive tuning options such as rebound, spring rates, front and rear downforce, tyre pressures, ride height, camber adjustment, individual gear ratios etc etc. If you want you can tune up a car just the way you like it then take it online to race.
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2015
Shift is a lot different than all the other NFS games I have played and more akin to Project Gotham or Gran Turismo. The streets, the story and the police chases are gone in favour of a track racing simulator style gaming experience.

I did so badly on the ‘let’s gauge how good you are at driving games’ level that I ended up with all the assists set – which felt a little like having stabilizers on my bike while I learnt to ride. The most unhelpful of assists is brake assist which got turned off as soon as I could find it in the settings along with the music which is quite dreadful. I kept most of the other assists including the almost (for me anyway) essential driving line – which gives you a good indication of how fast or slow to take corners and how to efficiently cut the apex and whatnot. I tried driving a few familiar courses with it switched off and repeatedly ended up chewing gravel and hitting tyres and really not enjoying the game.

Having been to Donington Park on a number of occasions I was quite pleased to find that particular UK track included in the game and quickly realised that it’s a bitch of a course with our without assists set. Most of the big tracks around the world are included and pretty soon you forget all the silliness that sounded the other games and just get down to the pure driving experience. Perhaps because of my assists I found that my driving style was inclined towards being a perfectionists rather than being aggressive – and most drive points were earned for clean corners, nice overtaking, drafting etc. rather than ramming other drivers off the road.

One exception to this was the car versus car races in the invitational events where the best tactic was to ram the other drive off the road as hard and as quick as possible and then achieve the winning distance before they recovered. A little unsporting I know, but the game is all about earning cash and building up your points to unlock events – the ultimate aim being access to the world series.

Cash is required to buy cars and upgrade them and you need to buy at least four cars I think to get to the World Series. Because of my settings I unlocked the World Series and completed it before I had even touched any Tier 4 races which seemed a bit silly, but for someone with limited time on their hands it was quite satisfying. I was at driver level 17 on completion of the series.

To get to this point I held onto my money until I was filthy rich and could buy a Lamborghini, all the associated upgrades and finally The Works upgrade which turned it into a land-based rocket ship. To me it seemed faster and easier to handle than the Zonda Pagani I bought later on to race in the supercar events. You have to be careful to satisfy tier and country of manufacturer requirements to do some of the races. I played until I got to level 20 as this had a good Gamerscore payoff and I will probably dip in and out of it as time allows.

Some of the racing was super-fast and immensely enjoyable. On the flip side the AI is quite stupid – rival drivers seem to stick to racing lines and there is little of the grudge-bearing that you see in other racing games. I found the drift events to be truly awful – but then I have never been a big fan of drift in other games.

In summation if you like racing games that are based on real tracks then this game when bought cheaply is really good, but if you are expecting a true ‘need for speed’ experience in the spirit of the other games bearing the name then please look elsewhere.
on 10 October 2010
Initial pre-release info on this game looked good, but there were 3 reasons I didn't get it at the time:
1. I was really disappointed by the demo
2. NFS Pro Street really was not very good and I was concerned this may be similar.
3. Forza 3 came out about the same time, so I chose that.
About a year later, when the game was below £10, I decided to give it a go and have enjoyed it far more than I had expected.

This really is nothing like NFS Underground, Most Wanted etc, and leagues better than Pro Street. The game sits somewhere between Grid and Forza. The handling is more rewarding than Grid, and the game is more fun than Forza, though overall I probably like all 3 in similar measure. But what it reminds me of most is a race version of Project Gotham - a similar feel to the handling, and with a good variety of events and challenges, not just one race after another like Forza. I play with the MS wheel and racing line off plus all assists off, but I have to confess I tend to have left the opposition difficulty on Easy, which is challenging but not too stressful. As well as racing, there are also time challenges, one-on-one races and the dreaded Drift mode. The latter is better done I think in Grid, but it is ok, once you get the hang of it. In all event types, there are also other challenges though, including a point system a little like the PGR Kudos system. One challenge I have enjoyed is having each corner on every track numbered, with a background task of having to master each corner, With the racing line switched off, I find it interesting to see which corners I am getting 'right'.

The tracks are a really good selection, including Spa, Donington, Brands Hatch and Silverstone, as well as many tracks unique to this game (well ones I've not played on other games). The game includes many tracks which have interesting slopes and cambers to master. There are no weather effects, pit stops or night time races.

The selection of cars is very good - about 70 cars really is enough, with a good range covered. Not many classic cars, but a few including the Escort Cosworth. Also plenty of customisation, tuning, painting mode, and photo mode. Unusually, this game really focuses on using the in-car view, which is great for me as I prefer this anyway. It really is well done in the game, with great sense of speed, good 'feel' and generally good handling. I say generally because a few cars seem too easy (eg Audi R8) and some too hard (Aston Martin DB9) but I've never driven either for real so who knows? But variety is good and overall handling is extremely satisfying.

I haven't played the game on live, so cannot comment on this, but certainly for single player, great fun. I'd loved PGR, but was bored with the reliance on Kudos, which rewards sliding a car in a race (why?). I'd hoped Bizarre would replace PGR with a racing focused game instead of Kudos, and I think this really is close to what I was hoping they might produce.