VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 December 2015
I can't believe the quality of the recordings on this CD, currently available at an amazing price. Whilst they are vintage recordings the sound reproduction is excellent. 'Ultimate Collection' is quite a claim, but it's certainly a top quality collection of seasonally themed classical music and carols.

It's a lovely CD to have playing quietly in the background as you go about Christmas preparations. So many pieces are special favourites, the atmospheric 'Troika', beloved carols like Deck the Halls and O Litttle Town of Bethlehem, Stille Nacht (Silent Night in the original German, sung by the Kings' Singers) along with Leroy Anderson's American 'Sleigh Ride'.

There are four wonderful recordings from the internationally renowned mixed choir of Clare College, Cambridge. The world famous composer John Rutter was the choirmaster at Clare College from 1975-79, and he is credited on the sleeve notes, although the recordings of the choir would appear to be copyrighted from 1967 and 1970, which is slightly confusing.

The sleeve notes are in tiny print, but worth reading, and informative. I didn't know that a Bacchanale is a boisterous Russian winter dance in honour of Bacchus, god of wine, but thanks to the notes on Glazunov's lively and very familiar Bacchanale, I do now. A super buy and one that will never date.
on 13 January 2017
An unremarkable Christmas CD comprised of a compilation of what amount to snippets of popular Christmas tunes, some of which are quite odd productions, on a CD with no artwork on the label.
Whilst the some of the orchestras are of world renown – London Philharmonic, Hollywood Bowl Symphony etc; and the choral singers are equally famous, Kings Singers, Clare College Singers and so on, I got the impression that the work was experimental, it certainly sounded like it.
The CD run time is 1 hour and 6 minutes and it may be ok as background ‘noise’ if that is what you want, and don’t want anything to particularly listen to.
Yes, it was cheap and yes, you get what you pay for, but if you are looking for full length versions of traditional and popular festive classics to listen to, this may not be for you.
on 1 December 2012
After hours of "trawling" I was eventually delighted to find what I was looking for. A collection of Christmas Carols/Music that was not commercial or "kitsch!" (Which believe me was very difficult to find!) this disc is marvelous. All the traditional carols; some choral arrangements some orchestral; many performed by Kings College Cambridge; some arranged/conducted by John Rutter & Sir David Wilcocks. We are Australians living in "La Douce France" and we want to celebrate Christmas the way I did as a Child - (I am of Dutch ethnicity.) Wehave now sourced a French Christmas Music CD from a Christian Book Shop in Quimper; sourced a double Christmas CD set from the Netherlands; also, our favorites of the complete Messiah (Handel) and the Nutcracker Ballet Suite (Tschaikowski) - the above Anglican Christmas Carol CD will literally crown off our Christmas Music.
on 16 December 2016
Sometimes i find the christmas songs being played in shops every year too loud which can be irritating and become a distraction. I love this CD and i have this playing in my house just loud enough for background noise so it is not a distraction and it adds a kind of relaxing and soothing and peaceful christmas feel and atmosphere to the house when people come round. I give it highly recomend it
on 2 December 2016
If you want choirboys and schoolchildren singing carols, don't buy this CD; you will be disappointed. If however you are like me, crazy about Christmas concert music you'll love it. It is a compilation of the best loved Christmas carols and songs, both sung and instrumental. I love it and it's on my CD player every day in December, and probably January too.
on 4 February 2015
I've been searching for YEARS for music like this, the kind of Christmassy orchestral music that features on American film soundtracks, reminiscent of the De Beers advert music or the ET theme tune - this is it!!!! Totally evocative, and a welcome change from all the usual tat they play to death at Christmas.
on 30 January 2013
Going away for Christmas and decided to download some festive tunes for my mp3, just to have some festive tunes. Plugging my mini speaker into mp3 player certainly gave the effect. This is the best album I've ever heard, the music is mainly that with just a few light choral singers. Definitely recommend this album. Also there are some classical pieces,not what I would class as Christmas only playing,
on 15 February 2018
Still haven't played this probably next year but some great tracks on here
on 27 December 2009
Since buying this CD, it has been played throughout the festive period. The recordings are joyous and combine some sombre tunes amongst the cheerful classics. I usually like pop music but would highly recommend this CD if you wish to dip you toe into the pool of Christmas Classical music. Troika is my favourite, instantly recogniseable and instantly uplifting.
on 23 October 2014
Bought as a replacement when I lost the same album during a move. Has a wonderful selection of traditional carols and Christmas music. I have to admit that 'Troika' from 'Lieutenant Kije' is a particular favourite. If you're looking an album to bring in the festive spirit and want a break from more modern Christmas music, then this a great alternative.