on 16 August 2011
Sometime ago I bought a reasonably expensive cordless drill. The lock-and-load of slapping on new batteries gave it the illusion of military precision. Bit it was in fact a weapon of mass destruction - of any wall I tried to drill into. It proved utterly incapable of making a simple hole in the walls of our modest Edwardian semi without generating an unacceptable degree of collateral damage. We had a carpenter working on the house recently, and when I asked him why he had no problems at all, he patiently explained to me that cordless drills are fine for wood; but for masonry you have to have the unfaltering power of a corded drill. And a decent set of drill bits.

My manhood suitably reduced by this easy revelation of my DIY naivity, I followed his advice via Amazon. At first I toyed with the professional end of the corded drill market: I'd have paid almost anything to be able to put up a coathook without having to redecorate the entire wall. But the reviews for this drill were so glowing I took a risk.

And my, how life was transformed. I had also bought some highly recommended yet modestly priced masonry drill bits, and together they turned me into a finely tuned drilling machine. No fuss, no mess, no sweat: this is a neat, effective drill that seems able to cope with anything. Even my incompetence.
77 comments| 178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 October 2010
I bought this drill because I needed to do some DIY in the flat I live in. I am not a DIY person, not even remotely. I know however some of the walls in this flat are a nightmare to get through. My initial concerns were that this drill wouldn't cope. Very wrong assumption. It did the jobs needed and without any difficulty. Considering the price paid, it comes highly recommended, especially with features such as variable speed, reverse drilling and choice of Hammer style drilling.
11 comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 January 2010
This drill fulfilled all my requirements after my old 400 watt drill burnt out. Strong performance, 810W 3000rpm variable speed so can be used for screwdriving, has hammer facility and a low price! What more could you want?
on 26 March 2010
It handles a 16mm drill bit in to concrete with no problems. It is better than anymore expensive models. I would recommend it to anyone!
on 3 May 2010
I was looking for a new drill after my old JCB one got a broken trigger - and they don't do replacement parts. I've been spending a lot on the house lately so didn't want to spend a lot on a drill so was pleased I came across this one. It's a great price for a drill like this and seems very solidly made. I've used it almost daily drilling walls etc and it hasn't given a hint of a problem handling anything I've thrown at it.
However: 11/09/2010 update. I've had the drill since March and although it still feels solid and tight it's developed a problem with the chuck. The chuck mechanism seems a little coarse, as if it's not milled with tight enough tolerances; the result of this is that sometimes it's difficult to tighten at times causing the drill bit to work loose, then sometimes if its tight enough I can't undo it without a tap on the chuck key with a hammer. Not the end of the world but a nuisance.
on 16 September 2010
Bought this after my old hammer drill packed in. Drilled holes through solid concrete blocks in half the time it took my old drill. Great for jobs around the house and very well priced too.
on 23 February 2012
I can't believe the value of this drill for it's price.
If like me you are a regular around the house DIYer buy it.
I can't recommend this drill to tradesman because it's only 30 quid and couldn't possibly compete.
It has variable speed control which should allow for use as a power screwdriver but I leave that job to a separate 18v driver I have as I find it too easy to get trigger happy with this type of drill and before you know it you are revving the hell out of it and your screw head is either stripped or is half way through your wall.

It feels like it should be a whole lot more expensive than it is, great product, great price, highly recommended.
on 6 September 2012
This drill lasted about a month [a few hours a week usage] before the chuck axle started to wobble. The chuck key retainer broke off after three weeks. I imagine this might last with very light duty occasional use, where you need something to drill a hole once every few years. Anything more than that and you may need something better built. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything to rave about yet, and spending a lot of money doesn't seem to guarantee quality these days.

I've used DeWalt and found their built quality to be poor for the amount of money they want, and their service record is absolutely abysmal in my personal experience. Bosch have proven very reliable but in terms of their drills, the plastic chucks end up requiring a set of mole grips to undo them eventually. Which is why I prefer the chuck key system on drills such as this Draper. Shame the rest of it is plastic and of poor build quality. They once built things to last. Now we're expected to throw things away after limited use. In which case, this would be good value if they gave you ten in a pack instead of one. As it is, I honestly have to say that it's no better than anything super-cheap you might pick up in Lidl or Aldi.

The search for decent, reliable products goes on....
on 18 February 2010
I love this drill - I had no idea that tey had got so much better inthe last 10 years - great value
on 27 March 2012
Do not buy this drill , mine packed up after a short while the brushes on the motor flew apart , the drill was out of guarantee but only used four or five times with light useage . I have been an engineer for over fifty years and so decided to take a look to see why it had ceased to work . What I found on opening up the unit shocked me the brush housings were so flimsy for their intended purpose and the internal wiring left a lot to be desired . Made in China I suspect ,don't waste money on these drills pay a few pounds more and get one that lasts.
99 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse