Max Payne 3 (PS3)
Platform: PlayStation 3|Edition: Standard|Change
Price:£13.99+ £2.99 shipping

on 1 July 2012
I've never played the other 2 Max Payne games before, so I went into this completely blind. I didn't know the vast majority of the story, but it's straightforward to follow and it's a good fun game to complete. There are no puzzles as such, it's wall to wall shooting and therefore can get tired and repetitive, so it's best played in 30 minute to 1 hour intervals. However I found myself drawn into the story and sometimes played for 3 hours at a time. The shooting mechanics are solid, and are basically identical to Red Dead Redemption, with a very similar cover system too. What sets this game out is the unrelenting bleakness of both the environments and character himself, a drug addled drunk, completely addicted to both. He's hard to warm to but he's utterly compelling, and by the halfway point of the game I liked him a lot, he's a great anti-hero. The storyline has multiple tiers, with some double crossing, and some surprise revelations, I'd also say a flimsy villain too. Judging by the build-up to the endgame, you'd think there'd be a satisfying payoff in terms of who the villain is but I found it rather weak and underdeveloped which is rare for a Rockstar game. But personally I think their priorities lay elsewhere right now..

The multiplayer is also a good addition to the series, I personally don't like it that much and don't see the value it adds to the storyline, it's just an excuse to shoot up a load of players in urban environments in my opinion, but it's harmless fun. I would recommend this but just be aware it's a straightforward 3rd person shooter. I'd give it 3.5/5 if I could but 4 is acceptable.
on 29 April 2014
I thought the game was ok. Nothing amazing, but it was ok.

Max payne 3 is a 3rd person shooter game that tries to take it's self seriously but fails.

Graphics: Nothing amazing Adverage 7/10
Music: 8/10 Loved Tears by Health
Gameplay: 5/10 (Ill explain later in the review)

So why did I rate the Gameplay a 5/10. Well Max Payne 3 is the kind of game that you love and then after about 2 to 3 hours you start to get bored of.

So I start the game up. Watch a 10 Minute cut scene. Then the game loads up. Kill some enemys then watch a cut scene. and then I kill some more enemys. Watch a cutscene. You can see why this gets boring after a while. However their were some fun bits in Max Payne 3. For example the bit where you're on the speed boat and you have to shoot the bad guys. Max Payne 3 is a Get from point a to point b kind of game. No skill needed. You can finish Max payne 3 in just under 6 hours (If you're on easy)

Most people would say Max payne 3 is an Generic shooter game but it has a twist..... SLOW- MOTION!!!! After a while a bar fills up and you can use it to turn it into a slow motion battle. This helped me get headshots without having a big impact on my health.
on 4 May 2014
To understand the story of Max Payne himself, you have to do some searching about him in the internet if you don't wanna play the first or second one. I did not play either of does ones, and I did my homework and did read alot of stuff of Max's backstory. So you do have to know his character arc a little bit, but storyline wise, this game sets off a completly new chapter in Max's life, so you dont need to play any of the 2 past games to understand this games storyline.

To the ones who know about Max but haven't played this game: Basically, this game takes place years after the events of MP2, and now, Max, is a potrayed as a deppressed middle aged man, who abuses the use of painkillers, drinks alot, and smokes alot. The tragedy that took his loved ones is a pain that will never heal to Max. With no choice left, he is offered a job to protect a rich wealthy family in Sao Paulo Brazil. And from there on, Max sets of with a new chapter to his life.

This game was amazing in my opinion, of the best games I have played so far. Max Payne is an amazing character, so is this game.
on 15 February 2014
Nine years after the events of Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (2003), Max finds himself living a degenerative lifestyle, addicted to painkillers and alcohol in the city of Sao Paulo, Brazil, while trying to forget the past that haunts him. Employed by real estate mogul Rodrigo Branco, Max works in private security, protecting the wealthy Branco family. But as things go wrong and Rodrigo's wife Fabiana is kidnapped, Max is forced into a deadly new conflict, while relying on the abilities he attained from the experiences of the past he left behind.

I really enjoyed this 3rd installment of the max payne games, highly recommend this if you are a fan of it. great game.
on 22 October 2013
I loved the graphics and the locations of the game. The controls are great and very accessible. The music and voice acting is top notch. I played the game on normal difficulty and it was very challenging. You will die a lot in this game!

My only gripe would be that the duck and shoot gameplay can get a bit repetitive. But the gunfights are really cool and the bullet time feature where it slows down the action is incredibly stylish and you'll find yourself jumping sideways in slow motion whilst planting a perfect headshot time and time again. I just wished there was a bit more variation in how the game plays out.

So i would definitely recommend getting this game if you're a fan of balls to the wall action especially the Uncharted trilogy which this game very closely resembles. Go buy it :D
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 27 August 2014
Great game. As a fan of the old school Max Payne games I can say it's pretty faithful to the gameplay that made the first two games a success, with few updates. There's quite a few cut scenes (but no loading screens) which could annoy some players but I was kind of expecting it being familiar with the heavy narrative of the earlier titles. Gunplay is tight, fun and still satisfying as hell.

It's also hard as nails on the higher difficulty levels which is also great for old school fans. I also feel I should mention how much I enjoyed HEALTH's soundtrack for the game, really adds a thick layer of atmosphere to the levels. It even has a reference or two to Captain baseball bat boy, what more do you need?. Highly recommended!
on 24 August 2017
Loading times on this game are horrendous: PS3 can do more than this, the quickload became a bathroom break, in MP 1 and 2 I used a lot of save and load to get the perfect outcome, this game was too slow.
on 20 July 2013
Having seen the trailers for this game and not the actual game play I was somewhat dissapointed with the game, I have started it but it is the sort of thing I will do piece meal rather than from begining to end which is the way I normally play games, others may like it but I am not keen so the thing to do is try it and see for yourself and make up your own mind.
on 9 April 2013
Max Payne 3 is an exceptional game with a fantastic gameplay engine. The physics are realistic, the Ai adapts to situations so one gun fight rarely resembles the other and despite the emphasis on gunplay, it's not just another mindless shooter. On some difficulties strategy is demanded. I think most people would agree the major selling point in the Max Payne franchise is the bullet time / bullet dodge technology, a product of the matrix era. Having played the previous 2 games on an earlier system I had expected the next generation port to have problems. Rockstar rarely disappoints, whether it's remaining true to the story or developing ideas, I believe they made very sound decisions. Rockstar also has a really great handle on facial recognition software so games like LA noire/ GTA / Max Payne often have fantastic graphics and reallistic live action sequences.

I turned off any aim-assiting options which provides a free manual aim relying on user input. There's every bullet trajectory angle and it seems to react on hit detection. You can really work an environment ; taking out a section of brick so for a better view / Tagging a flammable object for a distraction or to target a cluster / Diving or remaining prone up stairs to protect your neck.

There's an excellent array of weaponry to choose from ISP is often necessary and you get a good feel for which weapons best serve a situation - range / accuracy / firing rate. Like previous titles you can wield weapons in each hand and ammo conservation becomes an important factor of survival as with stockpiling medical supplies. Plenty of trophy based collectables and skill based 'grinds'.

The game even provides online features which I've yet to explore fully yet you can syncronise your information with Rockstar's social club and it appears to contain various deathmatch / team modes you'd expect from most FPS titles these days. Also appears to have friend team building and customization options for forming your own personal squad.

Personally I love challenging mature games. I started my first playthrough on Hard. I love the fact there are 2 locked difficulties for higher levels of gameplay. Also after approximately 12 hours on the game, I'd only covered 4% of the total trophy material which indicates value and extends the play time.

The story is dark and deals with some mature themes so I'd moderate it before buying it for your nephew but fans of the series will come to expect the extreme face of humanity from the characters. It's not devoid of comic moments. Although the humour is quite dark or light hearted it's a welcome relief from some of the stressful momments. Death, addiction, politics - these are just some of the themes. It's a wild ride with more action than any John Woo film.

I'd recommend to fans of 3rd and 1st person shooters even if you've never experienced the franchise before. Once you start diving like Chow Yun Fat you won't want to stop.
on 19 February 2014
I've played the others in the series and like the style. It's a different thing on consoles though and it doesn't feel as fresh as it used too. The cut scenes get a bit tiresome and after having to replay a lot after a corrupt save I gave up on it since there seems to be no way to skip the sequences.
Not a bad game but there are plenty better ones.

See one answered question