on 11 September 2016
How Sixto has never done another album since the 70s is quite beyond me - every fan knows his song writing brilliance - and the doc Searching For Sugarman brings that to the for nicely for todays generation - this album is the perfect companion to Cold Fact - Cause is heart breaking - but no new album for 30 years is even more so from a fan point of view ......still buy this and enjoy - very different to likes of Dylan and Tom Waits but you can see that Rodriguez's quality and originality and artistry is no less than theirs. Just brilliant and essential listening.
on 13 September 2013
I suppose like a lot of people who bought this I had never heard of Rodriguez until the movie "In Search of Sugarman". His story was so incredible (un-credible?) that I began to think that I was being conned and it was just a movie pretending to be a pseudo documentary. After watching the movie I decided to buy his two albums from Amazon. I have listened to a lot of music (I'm a music teacher) for over 40 years and I couldn't believe my ears. How was this guy missed? He could teach Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, James Taylor, and Bruce Springsteen, a thing or two about writing songs. His songs are almost perfect. His voice is sublime; as seductive as james Taylor but with an edge (not as harsh as Bob Dylan) that makes you believe in what he's singing about. If you like music, buy this, you won't be disappointed - this is a masterclass in writing songs about the struggles of the working man.
on 2 January 2013
Coming from South Africa and being of a certain age, I grew up listening to Rodriguez. I was shocked to learn that it was only SA who had discovered and loved his awesome music - he is nothing short of genius!
22 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 May 2013
Having seen the film "Sugarman" and of course been influenced by the cinematic sound system, I rushed to buy both Rodriguez's albums but without success. Sold out. Amazon to the rescue. I didn't buy the albums when I was a student in the 1970's probably because the hi fi on which I first heard the albums on was too primitive. Rodriguez could have been another Neil Young had he been less humble but he definately taught everyone a lesson in humbleness. This is a classic album.
on 30 May 2014
Alright, so it's not the master piece that the previous record is, but it still has the same story telling, the same atmospheric textures, if not the same atmosphere. The authenticity and content of this record might not sit comfortably with everyone, which goes some way to explaining the mixed reviews, but it is worth the time to listen to, and not just have on in the background, but listen to.
Rodriguez is a master, and the sooner you climb up on his music, the richer your life will be.
on 2 July 2014
Saw the Film Searching for Sugar Man - had me in tears - had to have this CD - got all 3 of his CD's - also joined AMAZON MUSIC as well - so now can just listen to any albums I bought from them or on my other play lists, without having to mess with putting CD's in all the time while on the computer. Think it must be new - as was not offered it before [Amazon Music that is].
on 24 January 2016
Rodriguez's follow-up album to his debut, Sugarman and last album to date. A wonderful album which is certainly as good as his previous one. Highlights are "A most disgusting song" and "I think of you". A classic album and must have.
on 9 April 2013
Everything about the music and the man has been covered in other reviews. Great songs etc. My only problem is the quality of the sound on some of the tracks. It may be the source but Im not so sure. Ive got some 70s stuff on mp3 and it sounds good. I have a feeling that this is victim of poor "remastering" for mp3 players. Without getting technical, they boost the quieter bits of the music at the expense of the higher and lower end so some tracks sound brittle and distorted. A real shame as proper remastering could make this sound fantastic. Check out the dvd soundtrack for a comparison. Wonderful album but get the cd instead
on 10 July 2014
If you're 40 and older and loved the 70's and 80's - buy it. Music with meaning. Great voice with thoughtful lyrics. This guy was wrongly cast aside but deserves better recognition and to be making it big instead of the record companies taking all the profits - scoundrels! The documentary style film 'Searching for Sugarman' is a must see. Love you Sixto Rodriguez!
on 7 January 2015
well I first caught a tailend of one of his songs on radio 2 I think it was.so after a little investigation ,got 2 of his cds,read a bit about him ,and he is worth checking out .good music from a good artist. again a lot of todays so called stars could learn a lot from him.then they could call them selves ---stars..