on 22 November 2012
Berghaus have a well earned reputation for quality outdoor garments and I would not for one minute refute that.
Unfortunatly products like these gaiters help to reinforce the other opinion, that modern Berghaus is starting to become more of a fashion name that inflates the price of an inferior product.
My well worn pair of Trek mates Windermere gaitors needed replacing so I thought I would try the Glacier offering from Berghaus not because of branding but because I thought that velcro strap fastenings would be less abrasive on expensive walking boots than metal buckles and lace hooks.
The big flaw in my brilliant scheme is that I did not forsee the minor issue of the fact that the 15 quid metal buckle/hooked Trek Mates never once let me down where the much more expensive and bigger named Berghaus do so regularly.
This is not opinion, this is not anti Berghaus snobbery, this is not misuse, the simple fact is the velcro does not stay fastend on the lace strap and worse still I end up with the underfoot strap flapping around when that detatches itself.
This is the part where someone posts in comments:- 'Mine where fine perhaps you got a dud' this could be true for all I know but in truth whether I got a dud or not does not change the fact that I should have bought another pair of Windermere's that even without the velcro issues are ten times easier to put on than the Glaciers, have proven to be hard wearing and are much cheaper.
on 31 December 2011
Just received two pairs of these for my wife and I, as we'd been after something to protect the bottom of our walking trousers from the winter mud but without getting full length gaiters. Design wise they're perfect, however the quality of both manufacture and materials used are below what you would normally associate with Berghaus.

Had to return one pair due to very poor and incomplete double row stitching around the heel tensioner on one of the gaiters and the replacement set was only just acceptable in this respect. Also noted after our first trip out using them, that the material has 0% breathability, as they were saturated with moisture on the inside after only a 6 mile trek. Disappointing, probable done just as well if not better getting the slightly cheaper Trekmates Windemere alternative, which interoperates Gortex fabric.
on 15 May 2010
Really liked the look of these and I wanted a shorter length to prevent overheating. I have traversed bogs with these unscathed and while walking in Scotland in April walked through a foot of snow with completely dry feet. Very good under waterproof trousers to give that extra protection without the inevitable build up of moisture associated with full size gaiters.
on 3 October 2013
do not bother with these gaiters, the method for fixing the strap under the boot with velcro simply doesn't work other than for a dainty walk in a London park. Any reasonably rough going causes the velcro to undo. A waste of money.
on 4 December 2009
Ideal short gaiter, bought primarily for mountain biking purposes, a good fit onto waterproof trail shoe (Inov 8). On a wet day wearing waterproof trousers & shoes,I found water would still get into the top of your shoes and also your under trouser legs would get wet and seep upwards. The addition of short gaiters seals the gap between the two, making for a far more comfortable experience. At the end of the day, removal of overtrousers & gaiters allows you to jump in your vehicle and drive home with dry, clean trousers & shoes. No need to change. Well pleased.
on 12 December 2015
Top quality item as anticipated, made my choice based on other reviews and am very pleased that the gaiters live up to expectation. A good fit, decent matetial, easy to use and do the job they are designed for. I now carry them in my rucksack with me just in case, they take up very little room and are a good standby. Would recommend these with no hesitation to others looking to buy a pair for their treks.
on 23 November 2012
Love the cut, perfect mid hight, the fact that there is no metal buckle is actually better (the Velcro does a perfect job and is lighter and slicker), the zip at the front is also a great way of fitting the gaiter quickly around the ankle... but... such a shame the fabric used is so unbreathable and not particularly waterproof either. All the heat coming up from the top of the shoes condenses around the ankle which is not great. Good protection against mud though. I really wish Berghaus made a GTX or other proper material version of those gaiters, would be perfect.
on 29 March 2010
When on a winter hiking trip and found these to be exellent. Also I wear them on my mountain bike which avoids trousers getting wet and caught in the chain.
on 22 February 2014
In the world of outdoor clothing Berghaus are one of the best quality brand out there.

I walk my dog for two hours, twice a day, every day, over very boggy ground and these gaiters are excellent.

I like these gaiters because they meet all your normal requirements for gaiters (waterproof, breathable, easy to put on, comfortable and durable) and being shorter achieve the job of keeping your boots and lower leg dry and free from dirt without the restrictive feel full length gaiters can sometimes give you. And because of their size they are cheaper. Also, dare I say it, I also think they look better too.

When it comes to fitting the gaiter, the system is simple, quick and as secure as any of the previous gaiters I have owned. More to the point in my opinion, when you take them off and they are covered in muck, it's an easy and mostly clean task. A quick rinse in water and they are good to go for the next time.

I can't recommend these gaiters enough.
on 28 January 2011
I bought these gaiters as I wanted a pair that was suitable for walking in light conditions.I am really pleased as they keep you clean and dry without the inside and whole leg getting damp.They are a good price, well made, particularly the zip which was easy use although the secret is to adjust the understrap until they fit the boot profile and allow easy zipping up. Only possible weakness is the velcro retainer on the front that goes under the lace and fold s back onto the gaiter, I am not sure that this will hold especially as the velcro strips get dirty. I would have preferred a single metal hook to clip over the lace. Overall though, I am very pleased, recommend them to others and will probably use them on my 200 mile coast to coast walk in April .

See one answered question