on 24 July 2017
Bought this for my son who travels around uk a lot He's finding it ver good
on 9 April 2010
Great product, it found the right way all round scottish villages in the cairngorms, easy to use and read, good price. Only downside was updating it on computer which would not work until had tried several things to get this to work. Would buy again good fun to use too. If known it was so good might have got the europe map version as it would be great in europe. Also needs a case and charger optional extras. Once or twice it has led me into very major road works it knew nothing about so use common sense. The route is immediately re calculated though if you disobey orders!
on 8 January 2017
GREAT
on 1 April 2015
Now I will not get lost
on 30 October 2009
Really pleased with the device. Got it working very quickly once fully charged. It is a good idea to get the mains charger and Hama case which Amazon suggest when you buy the sat-nav.

Does everything that you would expect from a good sat-nav. I went for the XL model because of the wider screen having borrowed a standard Tom Tom from a relative.

If you don't hear the instruction you can just tap the screen on the bottom left hand corner and it will be repeated.

Around the Midlands the device even asks whether or not you wish to avoid the M6 Toll road when planning your journey so no unexpected charges.

Only negative is the attachment of the charger cable from the cigarette lighter socket. This is difficult and as a result I keep mine attached to the unit when I put it away in the box. Be very careful when attaching or detaching this as rough handling may well break the connector and render the unit useless (see other reader comments on this)!

Overall delighted with the purchase and would recommend to anyone else just interested in finding the best way from A-B.
on 25 September 2009
I bought this jsut before a driving holiday to The Lake District and it was superb!!
It made the driving almost enjoyable and never gave me a moments indecision.
The Easymount was great-especially as I bought a dashmount instead of using the windscreen which I would recommend highly.
The only minus point is the instruction book which is not really instructive.
All in all a brilliant satnav at a brilliant price--thanks Amazon.
on 16 September 2009
Good straightforward, easy to use satellite navigation system, at a good price. Why pay more for technology that either you don't understand or will never use. Go for the XL and you get a bigger screen, some of the smaller satellite navigation system I looked at wouldn't be much good when driving and trying to glance at the screen.
The newer suction device (included) is easier to get on and off the windscreen, though I am looking for a device for it to stick onto that I can attach to the dashboard.
on 5 September 2009
Does everything you'd want from a satnav - great price too!
Forced into buying this as new car came without built-in satnav - big backward step for the car manufacturuer as far as I am concerned but a great intro to Tom Tom.

Only wish there was a mains to satnav recharge option. Having to recharge thru laptop is a pain!
on 30 March 2010
After struggling with my bargain 'My Guide' sat nav for the last two years, I am very pleased with my new TomTom XL. It's so much easier to navigate around the menus, and doesn't lock up on complicated junctions and roundabouts like my old unit. The TomTom back up service and website is great and easy to use also.
Mainly though, for a skinflint like myself, the TomTom was a brilliant price, especially considering that it has full Western Europe and UK mapping, so I am very pleased with it, and would recommend it to anyone.
on 5 July 2009
Went from London to an isolated farm near Wetherby that was at the end of 2 miles of a private no-name road. The TomTom guided me accurately to the house on the farm. If I had tried using a map, I would have wasted a lot of time and petrol finding this place.

From the farm, my friend and I went to another address in her BMW that had a built in satnav. I took my TomTom too to compare. The TomTom was far superior in the clarity of the instructions both on-screen and voice. On the way back, the BMW satnav stopped functioning as we approached the private road while the TomTom again guided us right through the private road and to the house.

Maybe other satnavs have some of the features like approaching speed camera warning, current speed, speed limit and above speed limit indication, time now and estimatd time of arrival and miles, hours and minutes to go, but I found them very clear and useful on the TomTom.

When you get this product, download the full postcode patch. Otherwise it only recognises the first half of the postcode. If it was not for the poor instruction manual, web site, faqs, etc, I would bave given it 5 stars.