on 10 August 2017
Love this. First heard it playing at a bird of prey display, beautiful birds flying to beautiful music. Had to ask what it was afterwards and promptly ordered it. Love the whole cd, very relaxing, play it all the while. Have now also bought the dvd to watch
on 1 July 2017
One of my favourite albums of all time, especially (like so many people) the Arrival of the Birds. Huge talent. It was good to see the band at Glastonbury this year (2017). Buy the album, you won't be disappointed.
on 1 July 2017
great cd
on 26 April 2017
Great classical music, with genuine feeling
on 4 May 2017
Beautiful Modern Symphony of sound - I have followed the cinematic orchestra for many years and loved their work some more than others. For example Ma Fleur resonated with me very much and was an accomplished album very well put together. A Man with a movie camera was more of an erratic and abstract jazz sound which I couldn't relate to then. I think I do more now! However back to this one - this has been lovingly composed with the height of expertese and emotion one would expect and expression that moves me. In it's own right a very beautiful piece of music. Each track is a uniquely colourful and soothing sound, well composed and thought through with meaningful melodies and glorious instrumental movements. Flowingly effortlessly from start to finish and taking your mood to an array of sound scapes to tantilise and tingle your soul.
on 22 April 2010
A slightly different album to what you may have heard from Cinematic Orchestra previously. All the hallmarks which make them such an interesting group/act/musicians (how do you define them?) are all there though. Simply beautiful music that can touch you, move you and astound you all at the same time.

The music this time moves away a from the jazz influences of Ma Fleur et al, and picks up beautiful melodies that obviously follow the story telling of Disney Natures excellently produced and filmed Crimson Wing film/documentary (a blu-ray must watch!)

This album is not just a backtrack however, and it stands out in a way few musical accompaniments do, which lead to me buying this disk well before the film!

If you like listening to music that moves you, has tranquility, yet is never boring; whether you have heard of Cinematic Ochestra or not, you should really at least give this album to chance to win you over!
on 15 June 2011
This is one of the most beautiful albums I've ever bought; I cannot fault any of the tracks. I first listened to it as a backing-track to my revision, but the songs were so mesmerising I was distracted! I cannot recommend it enough, stunning.
The Cinematic Orchestra give good soundtrack!

'The Crimson Wing : Mystery Of The Flamingos' is a collaboration with
the London Metropolitan Orchestra to provide a sonic background to
the French film of the same name (actually 'Les Ailes Pourpres :
Le Mystere Des Flamants') a Disney funded documentary by
Matthew Aeberhard and Leander Ward charting the lives of these
gloriously exotic birds in Northern Tanzania.

Jason Swinscoe and his cohorts have responded with vision to the subject.

Programatic by necessity, the twelve pieces in this project have a quiet
intensity and coherence which is well able to stand alone from the movie
and give enormous pleasure in the absence of visual accompaniment.

The band and orchestra are subtly and seamlessly integrated.
The sonic landscapes they conjure are lush, languid and full
of the unforgiving heat of the African land and sky.

The album begs to be played from beginning to end but yields some
particularly strong highlights with familiarity and closer attention.

The magical piano and harp introduction to 'Arrival Of The Birds'
sets the scene for a captivating melody carried by the Metropolitan's
string section with luminous assuredness.

The haunting woodwind bird-calls and pizzicato strings on 'Maribou'
brings the mood of tension and menace vividly alive (the bassoon player's
performance deserves our applause!) A wonderfully atmospheric confection.

'Transformation', with its Philip Glass-like use of ostinato by
both piano and orchestra is as beautiful as it is simple.

Final piece 'Crimson Skies' is a lyrical and heart-warming
vocal arrangement brought movingly alive by Lou Rhodes.

I'm very much looking forward to the DVD release but in
the meantime this lovely album fills the gap perfectly well.

Highly Recommended.
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 February 2012
...I invite you to be the judge of that.

However, this awesome soundtrack is truly a heart-warming journey from beginning to end. Not having seen the documentary for which it was written, I was first introduced to the second track, "Arrival of the Birds", through a stop motion video short called "Address is Approximate". The track was used almost entirely and perfectly complemented the video.

Inpired, I tracked down the album through internet radio and, frankly, I was stunned by the range and depth of feeling evoked by these pieces.

From the gentle, yet soaring, "Opening Titles" to the playful Latin influences of "The Dance"; with "Hatching" I can see in my mind's eye a flamingo's egg cracking and the chick breaking free - which I find amazing given I have never seen this show. "First Light" feels like a sunrise. This is all rounded off beautifully by Lou Rhodes' haunting vocal in "Crimson Skies".

Although I have not named the other tracks, not one of the falls below average in terms of quality, style, power and depth of feeling. You would need a granite heart not to be moved by this exceptional album.

One of the best reasons I can think of to own a pair of working ears!

^_^
on 24 May 2011
I was already a fan of the Cinematic Orchestra before buying this album. It is obviously a soundtrack and therefore a bit different to their other albums but their signature sound is still very evident in this. I find it's the perfect way to chill out at the end of a busy day and sounds incredible through some decent earphones.

I'd recommend you listen to Ma Fleur, Man with a Movie Camera and Every Day along with this.