on 3 September 2007
Buying an album on the strength of having liked just one single from it (Books From Boxes) is always a risk. It doesn't always pay off, but Our Earthly Pleasures is even better and more consistent than the quality of that single suggested. Having not heard the band's first album, I came to this one with no preconceptions or prejudices about what I was going to hear. The first two tracks, Girls Who Play Guitars and Our Velocity are full-on pop-rock, entertaining and energetic. They are followed by Books From Boxes, which is a gem of a track - but in many ways it is what happens from here on that makes this such a great album. Each successive track has either a great melodic hook, fantastic rhythmic interplay between the instruments or genuinely affecting lyrics, and often all three in combination. Standout tracks are hard to identify as the standard is so high, but By The Monument and Parisian Skies are good places to start. Overall, though, this is one of those rare records that you can just put on and play all the way through without a single duff track, where nothing outstays its welcome and you are left wanting more. Its also great to hear intelligent lyrics sung with honesty and directness in the singer's native Geordie accent - no pretending to have come from California here. I could recommend this album to just about anyone.
11 Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 April 2017
Superb album from a criminally under rated band, not one track that needs skipping and the singles from this album are the strrongest of their career
on 27 April 2017
bought as a replacement for my damaged one.
on 16 April 2007
This is simply the most listen-to-able album this year. I can happily listen to it on repeat over and over... I haven't been able to do that with an album for some time!

If you liked their previous album, A Certain Trigger, you will adore this. Lots of catchy, yet not nauseous, tunes and some truly beautiful lyrical work...

A must-buy of 2007, the soundtrack of your summer.
on 23 April 2012
The lead singer's voice is really rich and strong - obviously a really big, fit, guy with an active brain and a real grasp of lyrics.

The band, driving along behind, are equally as good; strong rhythms and chiming instruments make this a great album for fans of University life and the sort of challenges and people you meet there.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 March 2007
This is a great second album, NME slated it, but it is really very good.

I guess it is just easier to slate something than praise it. The park have managed to follow up their last album wit something cool and classy, but that just doesn't sell magazines.
on 16 April 2007
This album was eagerly awaited by Maximo Park's fans,including myself,and it does not disappoint.I recently went to the band's promo show at the 100 Club and was enchanted by the new songs which feature on the album-

current favourite "Books From Boxes" looks to be their next summer single.

The band have produced a tighter,more sophisticated sound on this album, with Lukas Wooller's keyboards and Paul Smith's beguiling Geordie accent still evident,it cannot fail to please.Even on such deeply emotional songs as "Your Urge",which describes a visit to a brothel,there is an underlying charm and integrity. The song is not as seedy as it sounds!

Listen to this vinyl,it will ensnare you and make you think.
on 20 August 2007
make you remember the summer you listened to it. I have been listening to this for weeks now, and all the lyrics, which are often very well written, are stuck in my head, as are as the riffs. I didnt know this band well before this album, and didnt own the fist one. now I do and this one is defintaley more accomplished. It has everything i want from a band of this genre, and they dont come across like boring clones like alot of British bands now days. The songs are intelligent and quite powerful in places. There could be 4 or 5 singles on this album easily.
on 21 April 2007
I just adore this album - but not at first. It was the same with 'A Certain Trigger' which I also found to be a 'bit of a grower', but quite soon came to love (& through constant playing made the rest of my family love too!)

I think Maximo Park excell in many areas but particularly in their songwriting. They have a unique way of often seeming to stitch two or even three different songs together (as on 'Our Velocity'). Because of this I think their songs continually surprise you and have so much to discover. There's a strong hook line in every one, but it took me about 5 listens to this album right the way through for them to get inside my head. Now I simply cannot stop playing it. So if you feel the same way after one or two listens, don't give up on it.

Stand out tracks for me are 'Our Velocity' which I just put on repeat, 'Books from Boxes' which is heart-rendingly beautiful and 'The Unshockable' but I am growing to love every single song, as I did with 'A Certain Trigger'.

I just don't think there is anyone to better Maximo Park in Britain today - if your musical interests veer towards Alternative/Indie stuff you will love it. The reviewer comparing them to Franz Ferdinand was right - they have a similar intellectual angle, with intriguing & clever lyrics waiting to be discovered and appreciated. Now, I must see them live....! And then await the 3rd album.
on 5 June 2007
When first hearing the single 'Our Velocity' i went out and purchased the album because it was in my opinion one of the best tracks i had heard all year. There are a few songs on the album that are quality, my favorite being 'Books From Boxes' which is their 2nd single from the album. Like a lot of Indie band of late their second major album is not as good as their first album (Snow Patrol, Razorlight, Killers ect.) But with Maximo Park the success of 'A Certain Trigger' hyped up 'Our Earthly Pleasures' that bit too much, if this was their breakthough album everybody would be praising how good it is instead of comparing it to 'A Certain Trigger' and rating it down because it is just a fraction below the brilliance that is 'A Certain Trigger'.